ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-5th-gen-2007-2012-180/)
-   -   Aftermarket wheels (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-5th-gen-2007-2012/242133-aftermarket-wheels.html)

MR.FG 10-07-06 12:27 AM

Aftermarket wheels

Is anyone thinking of going to aftermarket wheels for their ES 350, there is a very active thread in the second generation IS forum with a lot of nicely done cars. A set of nineteens would look pretty nice on the ES, the TPM's would have to be dealt with though.

josephdoc 10-07-06 12:38 AM

TPMS won't be a problem if you find a reputable shop! Just xfer those modules and make sure the new wheels has enough clearance near the stem mount.:thumbup:

Good luck with shopping!

Macklin 10-07-06 06:21 AM

There is a long thread on this subject on page three - 'Going bigger wheels and wider tires'.

Most agree this car would look great with bigger tires, but no one has stepped up to the plate yet except one guy who bought his with 18's. Pics of that car are there.

Go for it and post some pics!

MR.FG 10-07-06 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Macklin (Post 2168022)
There is a long thread on this subject on page three - 'Going bigger wheels and wider tires'.

Most agree this car would look great with bigger tires, but no one has stepped up to the plate yet except one guy who bought his with 18's. Pics of that car are there.

Go for it and post some pics!

Thanks for the info MACKLIN, good information on that thread.

Ice350 10-07-06 08:40 AM

I really dig the look of the ES350 and can't wait for someone to pop the cork and get some wheels. I think 19's would be best but 20's will probably work as well. I can see it in my head.
C'mon, somebody do it!

ncblue 10-07-06 12:31 PM

Last Saturday, while at the mall I saw a Black ES350 with 19 inch Chrome wheels, I don't know what what type of wheels they were, but I was impressed!

MR.FG 10-07-06 06:55 PM

There is a good chance that I am going to take the plunge, but not before next spring, winter is right around the corner and I live in the midwest (whew!) . The challenge for me will be to keep it within the character of the car (not too muscular or blingy), should be fun.

twister 10-07-06 09:47 PM

19"/20" gonna kill the comfort of your ride. It will be a great show car to cruise during the summer, but with something like 20" you gonna have rubber band tires :D 18" will be the best compromise to keep the comfort and go with a bigger/wide wheels/tires.

I'm also became a little skeptical myself after I scratch my front rim. Yeah, it will be replaced with a full size spare I got in a trunk, but with custom wheels of a bigger size there will be a higher probability of scratches going through potholes...

Macklin 10-08-06 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by MR.FG (Post 2168784)
There is a good chance that I am going to take the plunge, but not before next spring, winter is right around the corner and I live in the midwest (whew!) . The challenge for me will be to keep it within the character of the car (not too muscular or blingy), should be fun.

Definitely keep us posted. Enquiring minds want to know. :)

I'm pretty amazed at how durable the wheels on this car are. I curbed one last week, total bone head move, and all I got was a tar based scuff mark that wiped right off. :eek2:

Knock on wood!

MR.FG 10-09-06 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by twister (Post 2169022)
19"/20" gonna kill the comfort of your ride. It will be a great show car to cruise during the summer, but with something like 20" you gonna have rubber band tires :D 18" will be the best compromise to keep the comfort and go with a bigger/wide wheels/tires.

I'm also became a little skeptical myself after I scratch my front rim. Yeah, it will be replaced with a full size spare I got in a trunk, but with custom wheels of a bigger size there will be a higher probability of scratches going through potholes...

Have to agree that ride would probably be degraded with larger rims, IF and I say if I did it, I would not go larger than 19 inch for the reasons you stated, I have had experience with some low profile tires and once you hit a pothole you just drive directly to the tire shop :confused:(:cry: because you have more than likely just ruined a tire and maybe a rim. Definitely something to think about.

amf1932 10-09-06 01:27 PM

Just a note: If you change your rims, be sure the people that mount the tires have experience with working on cars that have air monitoring pressure sensors like the ES350's use, otherwise if they're not careful and break it, it'll cost you $$. I don't know how much, but it's probably an expensive part.

toneman 10-09-06 01:47 PM

I'm torn between 18" and 19"--yes, 18" is arguably a more-sensible choice vs. 19" for the reasons stated by others...but IMHO 19" has a more stunning visual impact--i.e., with 19" you can definitely tell that you're running larger wheels...whereas 18" is a bit more subtle in appearance, size-wise.

twister 10-10-06 09:26 AM

Appearance has also to do a lot with a design of the wheel. I have seen some big SUVs with probably 21"/22" rims that had some 5-spoke very thin tinted-dark design and you can see right through them. It looks weird. While if you have more chrome (in a tasteful way of course), it will give a better appearance and make it more noticeable even when you are driving at a higher speed. TireRack is a great source to see how different designs will look on your car, you only limited by whatever they have in stock.

lvdrumn 10-12-06 04:47 PM

Just wanted to comment on the wheel subject. I'm a Lexus owner (2002 ES 300) but happen to also work for a large tire distributor with a retail franchise group of 340 dealers. I'm prettty familiar with plus sizing. I just put 18's on my lexus...Lenso LS5 wheels and Continental Extreme Contacts (225/45/18)...they ride awesome, and the difference is unbelievable.

18's or 19's would work fine on the new ES350...meaning they would maintain your lexus ride while increasing your cornering ability through less sway from the lower profile tires. Just keep in mind you want to put on a quality tire...some ride rougher than others because all sidewalls are not created equal. Also, know what kind of ride you prefer before asking for tire advice. Touring tires like the Michelin MXV4 Pluss or Continental Premier Contact...will give you a more quite/luxury ride....UHP tires like Continental Sport Contacts or Michelin Pilot 2's are more agressive, meaning more grip/stick but are slightly louder. There's always a trade off.

Cheers,

LvDrumn

dreyfus 10-12-06 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by lvdrumn (Post 2178504)
Just wanted to comment on the wheel subject. I'm a Lexus owner (2002 ES 300) but happen to also work for a large tire distributor with a retail franchise group of 340 dealers.

So what tires would you recommend for the stock rims? What quality tires would give us the best ride and which would give us the best handling?

How much of a size change can we safely make without purchasing new rims (obviously keeping the 17s)?