ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

what does camry platform mean?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-06, 04:29 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what does camry platform mean?

Ok, so i was selling my old Miata today, and the perspective buyer asked, "what you buy to replace it?" I said the Lexus ES350. Then he said "oh the camry platform". I said, hey man this aint no camry!

So what exactly is the camry platform? Does this mean previous ES models were not based on Camry platform? I was told the Highlander was based on the RX platform with same 3.3 Liter engine. Does this mean the ES350 is from the same assembly line as the camry??? Why the hell did I pay $10,000 more for a Lexus then? Can anyone explain?

Last edited by Kaius88; 07-14-06 at 09:46 PM.
Old 07-14-06, 05:00 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

In the beginning there is the Camry.
There was the Sceptor (The smaller, Japanese Camry for the gen3 platform. 92-96)
You have the Vista, which is the Japnese version of the Camry (but smaller smaller, 82-03)
The Camry Solara, which is mechanically a Camry, but has some minor chassie stiffening to compensate for the lack of a hard roof.
You've got the Avalon, which is mechanically a Camry, but stretched.
From there you have the Windom/ES (Which is noting but a modified Camry. Mechanically... it's a Camry. The differance is trim & they're built only in Japan.)
You also have the Highlander which is derrived from the Camry. They use many of the same parts.
The RX, like the Windom / ES, is mechanically a highlander, with trim modifications (But is built on the same plant in Canada)
The Camry paltform incorpirates the Sienna minivan too.
Not including all the copy's like the holdon appolo, Daihatsu Altis , or the wagon varryants.

I digress... Mechanically, it's a Camry.
The Camry history.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Camry

The ES is built alongside the Windom's at the Tsutsumi Plant in Japan.
Old 07-14-06, 05:02 PM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kaius88
Ok, so i was selling my old Miata today, and the perspective buyer asked, "what you buy to replace it?" I said the Lexus ES350. Then he said "oh the camry platform". I said, hey man this aint no camry!

So what exactly is the camry platform? Does this mean precious ES models were not based on Camry platform? I was told the Highlander was based on the RX platform with same 3.3 Liter engine. Does this mean the ES350 is from the same assembly line as the camry??? Why the hell did I pay $10,000 more for a Lexus then? Can anyone explain?
Under the skin the top of the line Camry and the ES350 are exactly the same car. Oh, and while we're at it, so is the RX series and the Highlander. Better insulation from noise on the Lexus, better everything on the interior, typical Lexus pampering at the dealership, free washes and the like and more bells and whistles but the truth is they are essentially exactly the same vehicle under the skin.

Sorry to burst any bubbles.
Old 07-14-06, 05:07 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow.......that Wikipedia description was great!!! Thanks for pointing it out Pheonix.
Old 07-14-06, 05:55 PM
psp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PsychDoc

Sorry to burst any bubbles.
My fragile ego has been eternally and irreparably damaged. Thanks a lot!
Old 07-14-06, 06:29 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

Why would anyone's bubble be burst?
It's not like the important parts used in any other Lexus are any better LoL!

Besides. God forbid something breaks, it costs us relatively nothing to fix due to the relatively overwhelming supply of parts!
Old 07-14-06, 07:21 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

It's like flying, everyone would rather go 1st class, same with the car, I'd rather drive a Lexus then a Toyota
Old 07-14-06, 08:25 PM
hcdesign
Driver School Candidate

Default Test drive Camry V6 and ES350.

Test drive 2007 Camry V6 and ES350.
In my opinion, If you notice a difference in driving, buy LEXUS. If not, buy TOYOTA.
(In Chicago, Camry V6 costs $30840 with navi, and ES350 costs $41333 with additional features)

I test drove both car 3 times each(about 15-20min,local and highway).
I was amazed by the quietness on ES350 compare to Camry. ES350 uses 3M Thinsulate to absorb the outside noise and Camry uses basic foam piller. I am not so sure this was the result of quiet driving experience, but to me ES350 felt absolutely silent.

However, mechanically ES350 is almost same as Camry V6 with minor upgraded parts.

Last edited by hcdesign; 07-14-06 at 11:20 PM.
Old 07-15-06, 09:06 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Kaius88

So what exactly is the camry platform? Does this mean previous ES models were not based on Camry platform? I was told the Highlander was based on the RX platform with same 3.3 Liter engine. Does this mean the ES350 is from the same assembly line as the camry??? Why the hell did I pay $10,000 more for a Lexus then? Can anyone explain?
What does he drive? Its probably based on something
Camry chassis-Highlander, RX, ES
VW Golf=A4
lat gen Passat=A6
350Z=G35, FX 35/45, M35/45
C-class=CLK
Civic=RSX CSX
Accord=TL, RL

Etc etc, platform sharing is a way of the automobile

Last edited by LexFather; 07-15-06 at 09:10 AM.
Old 07-15-06, 09:09 AM
LexFather

However, the Camry is built in Georgetown, Kentucky. The ES is built in an award winning auto plant in Japan. All Lexus cars are built to more strigent quality guidelines, they have to have 50% less tolerance for error than a Toyota.

The cars share parts but are not built in the same plant.

The ES is far from just a Camry, inside and out, they share nothing but I think the roofline
Old 07-15-06, 09:44 AM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
However, the Camry is built in Georgetown, Kentucky. The ES is built in an award winning auto plant in Japan. All Lexus cars are built to more strigent quality guidelines, they have to have 50% less tolerance for error than a Toyota.

The cars share parts but are not built in the same plant.

The ES is far from just a Camry, inside and out, they share nothing but I think the roofline
***inside and out, they share nothing but I think the roofline***

Are you kidding me?

Their drivetrains and engines are identical. OK, so Lexus increases the compression a bit to get 4 more hp out of the Lexus branded 3.5. Brakes, steering, identical. Lets face facts, only the interiors and sheetmetal are really different in any meaningful way (and they could have done a much better job on the sheet metal to distinguish the Lexus from its lesser sibling).

It's a great car, yes, but truth be told, getting a top of the line Camry really does get you 90% of the ES350. For that last 10% (the cache of the Lexus name, the "L" on the front and back of your car, improved sound absorbtion, upgraded interior, Lexus roadside assistance and white glove treatment at the dealership both before and after purchase) you pay about $10k.

Let's be honest here.

Or as others have said, "just keepin' it real."
Old 07-15-06, 10:59 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PsychDoc
OK, so Lexus increases the compression a bit to get 4 more hp out of the Lexus branded 3.5."
Actually, the compression ratio on the ES350 and the Camry V6 is exactly the same: 10:8:1.

There is zero difference in the engine/powertrain between the Camry V6 and the ES350. The Lexus is rated at 4 hp more because the ES350 is tested with premium gas, while the Camry is tested with regular gas.
Old 07-15-06, 11:27 AM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jrock65
Actually, the compression ratio on the ES350 and the Camry V6 is exactly the same: 10:8:1.

There is zero difference in the engine/powertrain between the Camry V6 and the ES350. The Lexus is rated at 4 hp more because the ES350 is tested with premium gas, while the Camry is tested with regular gas.
LOL

Thanks for the clarification.

My point exactly.

"Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I rest my case."
Old 07-15-06, 12:17 PM
BobBass
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default No difference in suspension?

Usually, when a manufacturer shares platforms between models, the "luxury version" has a suspension modified to give a smoother ride.

In all the discussion of this thread, I did not notice any specific mention of suspensions. Does anybody know for sure if the suspension in the ES is EXACTLY the same as the Camry?
Old 07-15-06, 12:46 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

Depending on what you're talking about. Yes, and no. They BOTH have used the same spec KYB-GR2's for years. Tho aregueably the specifications are different. For awhile, I haven't believed it. Maybe a softer spring.

The main handling differance is that the ES's power steering has even less feel, and a slightly different travel.

Quick Reply: what does camry platform mean?