ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

what does camry platform mean?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-06, 12:58 PM
Gromulus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
However, the Camry is built in Georgetown, Kentucky. The ES is built in an award winning auto plant in Japan. All Lexus cars are built to more strigent quality guidelines, they have to have 50% less tolerance for error than a Toyota.

The cars share parts but are not built in the same plant.

The ES is far from just a Camry, inside and out, they share nothing but I think the roofline

LOL! Surely you jest.!!!!!!!!!

Well I work for a major supplier to Toyota - in Japan and America. I have been to US (TMMI and TMMK) and Japanese plants (including Tahara and Hino facilities) and have seen many Lexus and Toyota models come off the assembly lines. Slightly different design requirements for some components between Lexus and Toyota, but major components are the same. While components are the same, some plants do have tighter quality requirements for some models. For example, most plants will not accept components if defects exceed 50 per million parts shipped. In contrast, for Lexus vehicles, Tahara managers insist on fewer than 10 defects per million parts.

The GX470 is only built in the Tahara plant at this time. It's 4Runner "cousin" is built in both Hino and Tahara facilitties and quality requirements are the same.

The last I heard the ES and Camry are built in the Katashiki plant (not Tahara). (Perhaps I should say that my Tahara built 4Runner is built to better quality standards than the Katashiki built ES?)

The product we manufacture (exterior paint) in both the US and Japan is EXACTLY the same for use at Japan and US plants. The only difference between Toyota and Lexus models is a higher clearcoat film thickness. While Camry/ES and Land Cruiser/LX, Highlander/RX, and 4Runner/GX are are all basically the same platforms (engines, frames, transmissions) the Lexus models do offer more amenities such has more insulation, higher grade interior materials, thicker windshield glass, etc.

The consumer has the choice depending on what he/she values and is willing to pay for. "You pays your money and takes your chances"

Personally, I drive a 2004 4Runner Limited and my wife has a 2007 Camry V6XLE. While I value quaity and reliability above all else since I keep my cars for 8 - 12 years, I also know that a vehicle is not an investment and is subject to all the human and non-human elements that are out of my control.

Hope the bubble is still intact somewhat

Last edited by Gromulus; 07-15-06 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-15-06, 01:39 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

What????
ES's come off the Windom assembly line in the Tsutsumi Plant.
Katashiki isn't a plant. Katashiki is some wierd term for the model code for Toyota vehicles! LoL!

I sure hope you guys know that this explains why there have been Echo steering wheels on LS's as of late & I'm telling Toyota yall are the ones causing the screw up over there!
bawahahahahahahahahaha
Old 07-15-06, 04:11 PM
Gromulus
Driver School Candidate

Default Mea Culpa

Yes, you are right the plant is in Tsutsumi. Katashiki is the generic designation for the new models. Japanese isn't up to par yet. Windom is Japan's model desigantion for the ES.

Last edited by Gromulus; 07-15-06 at 04:17 PM.
Old 07-15-06, 04:21 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

It's all in good fun!
Honestly. We've been over the Camry platform relations so many times now.
Old 07-15-06, 05:10 PM
LexFather

Fellas, I don't work for Lexus but I could. I know the cars share parts, I OWN a 1992 ES 300 MANUAL.

What I meant (and excuse me for not clarifying) is even though the Camry and ES are based on the same platform and share the V-6 engine, inside and out is all different. Its not a rebadge, ala GM or Nissan.

People are quick to say "its just a Camry" but the Toyota has always done a terrific job ensuring there are no body panels shared outside the roofline and the interiors are all different except maybe turn signal stalks and other minor items.

Hope this clarifies what I was trying to say.

To me, being based off the Camry is a damn good thing, as its the best selling car in America with excellent quality and the 2007 model shames some luxury branded cars in build and features.
Old 07-15-06, 05:12 PM
LexFather

I need everyone to sign up for LEXFEST www.lexfest.net and we can discuss in person in September!!
Old 07-15-06, 08:21 PM
dana_daen
Driver

Originally Posted by PsychDoc
***inside and out, they share nothing but I think the roofline***

Are you kidding me?

Their drivetrains and engines are identical. OK, so Lexus increases the compression a bit to get 4 more hp out of the Lexus branded 3.5. Brakes, steering, identical. Lets face facts, only the interiors and sheetmetal are really different in any meaningful way (and they could have done a much better job on the sheet metal to distinguish the Lexus from its lesser sibling).

It's a great car, yes, but truth be told, getting a top of the line Camry really does get you 90% of the ES350. For that last 10% (the cache of the Lexus name, the "L" on the front and back of your car, improved sound absorbtion, upgraded interior, Lexus roadside assistance and white glove treatment at the dealership both before and after purchase) you pay about $10k.

Let's be honest here.

Or as others have said, "just keepin' it real."

I think the interior on the Lex , looks a hell of a lot better then the camry. my 2cents
Old 07-21-06, 11:57 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For me, its all in the details. Sure, both start with the same engine and trans, but for me it really ends there.

I'll take the smoother suspension, better styling, resale and quietness of the ES. I love the execution of the design (inside and out) and how everything just 'works'. The material select of leather and plastics is great. The seats and layout just say quality. Then throw in all the little touches like LED interior lighting, sunshade, keyless entry, footwell and puddle lamps, memory everything and auto dimming mirrors all around.

I sit in the ES and wish for nothing more. I've driven and sat in the new Camry and just wondered what car I was in and how they could possibly be related. I think you could conclude there was similarities before between the two in the execution of the product, but not anymore. I feel like this thing is a mini LS. They should almost change the name to something else like TS

I'm an IT guy. I can take the same CPU and mainboard and built you a noisy, cheap but reliable PC. I can also take those same pieces and craft it into something quiet, beautiful and something you appreciate using every time you turn it on and use it. Which one would you choose? I'll take the latter.
Old 07-22-06, 12:28 AM
ES350LUV
Driver School Candidate

Default Im wondering also

Ive rode in a Camry and rode around in a ES 300/330 prior to my purchase of 07 ES 350 and never once felt like it was related. Its only when I was really researching the details that I started to I did think that the shape..the lines had the same feel. But the inside was way..way..different. The ride for one thing is a totally different experience. I believe that alot of manufacturers do share platforms and parts of one vehicle as a basis for another vehicle, etc. I see alot of cars on the road that look "similar".....

But the point to me is....is it worth the extra money? And it is to me. I think we all get touchy because we paid more and to have others call the ES a vamped up Camry is a bit harsh, including me at times.

To me it is half and half. Yes, its "like" the Camry but ultimately it is not the same thing. The service, ride, amenities and the feel of the car is all different.
Well, just my two cents......
Old 07-22-06, 01:29 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree. It's the little touches that make all the difference. I'll add to wanderer99's list. There's also leather wrapped overhead assist grips, felt-lined interior door grab handles, better plastics on the rear of the seat (the Camry one is hard plastic), real wood, thicker windows (with two laminates... is that the Thinsulate thing?), acoustic windshield (hell, the IS' sunvisor was designed acoustically to enhance the music in the vehicle).
Old 08-18-13, 11:47 AM
luxe88
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have this one car; it has a driver seat, passengers seats, a dashboard, steeringwheel, an engine, four wheels, a gas tank... omg my car is exactly like your car... they are all alike /sarcasm

stop bickering over semantecs and provide us answers--like what limitations does having a camry frame give us? does this mean suspension mods are more car-like verses trucks?

when i browse through these forums i lose interest in researchig anything about my car because all i see are posts about "you shouldve bought that car"...
Old 08-18-13, 12:54 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

LOL! this thread has been dead since 06.
Old 08-18-13, 01:40 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by mspearl95
LOL! this thread has been dead since 06.
Zombie themes are popular these days.
Old 08-18-13, 04:35 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Think of 1969 Camaro and 1969 Firebird. Same platform, different trims, sheet metal to an extent. They had different engines (versus ours sharing the same Toyota engine) but most everything else was shared like radiators, transmissions etc.
Old 08-18-13, 07:00 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

every time someone asks me what i drive i tell them a Lexus they say oh you mean a toyota im like maybe mechanicaly my ES is the same as a Camry when it comes to the Drive trian
but when you get inside you feel the difference

if you want cheap interior plastic parts and that stuff thats going to make noise creak and also not be as quiet get a camry
i think the extra amount for the lexus is worth it
i don't hear wind from outside when driving on highway over 55 mph i can touch parts of the interior and feel the nice feel to it not the bland rental car cheap plastics in a camry

Quick Reply: what does camry platform mean?