ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

ES300 starter problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-03, 10:24 AM
oosoul
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

thanks to all of u for the very helpfull info , i enjoyed the bantering back and forth,..it was all very informative, thats why i enjoy this board i can learn from just browsing thru the articles.
Old 10-03-11, 12:06 PM
chuckerst
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to all the above concerning the "clicking starter"-yes it is common after many miles but there is an easy and inexpensive repair for the Denso starters-you simply remove it and replace the contacts then sand the solenoid contacts smooth or replace it also-total cost for me was 5 bux-picked up a set of contacts at a local repair shop-smoothed the solenoid-good as new-that was 25,000 miles ago-still working like a champ! (Took about 45 minutes to do the job)
Old 07-15-15, 08:32 PM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Bump..

My car started acting strange a few weeks ago when i would turn the key. It would start on the first try but it was a rougher and longer start. About a week later, it clicked about 3 times before turning on. It seems to have a mind of its own. Sometimes it will start up good and other times, it clicks a couple of times. It runs perfect when it gets going, just starts stupid.

I had 2 mechanics both say the starter is going bad. Terminals and connections are good, Autozone tested my battery and alternator with no problems.

2000 es with 110k miles. Do OEM starters just suck? I cant believe its going bad so soon. Would an after market starter be a bad idea?
Old 07-15-15, 09:21 PM
surgeon0
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

On yours does it start initially more cranks, later ok when warm/hot?

Its probably contacts and plunger ($13) or $25 with solenoid. OEM Denso reman is better than AM new. Thus repair would be $8-25. There are some good new ones for some brands TYC, Bosch, NAPA. Also, Amazon seems to have some new ones now with no core return for about $75. That is another option; rebuild removed one for later.

I have always rebuilt, 15-30 mins after out of car. My last rebuild was in corolla after it went from 3 to 9-10 cranks at 130k miles. It is strong now.

Just *not* duralast from Autozone or one from pepboys.

You planning DIY? Watch this sample www youtube com/watch?v=cWm8j1SkUD8 for rebuild work involved. I think I saw another one but this will do.

Last edited by surgeon0; 07-15-15 at 09:36 PM.
Old 07-15-15, 09:48 PM
funcrusher
Racer

Originally Posted by surgeon0
On yours does it start initially more cranks, later ok when warm/hot?

Its probably contacts and plunger ($13) or $25 with solenoid. OEM Denso reman is better than AM new. Thus repair would be $8-25. There are some good new ones for some brands TYC, Bosch, NAPA. Also, Amazon seems to have some new ones now with no core return for about $75. That is another option; rebuild removed one for later.

I have always rebuilt, 15-30 mins after out of car. My last rebuild was in corolla after it went from 3 to 9-10 cranks at 130k miles. It is strong now.

Just *not* duralast from Autozone or one from pepboys.

You planning DIY? Watch this sample www youtube com/watch?v=cWm8j1SkUD8 for rebuild work involved. I think I saw another one but this will do.
Im not sure what your asking. Some days it clicks a few times and some days it starts up fine.....
Old 07-16-15, 07:54 AM
surgeon0
Pit Crew

Ok. It could be just loose contact. Maybe check connection. Maybe it was the fuel.

Most of the time with high mileage, it is a starting sign of inside contacts showing signs of wear. What is described there is the typical scenario of a failing starter. If it is intermittent then it could be other things like ignition switch (which might need more time and more checking on symptoms). Do a search using starter problems and see if something is similar.

When you start in hot weather or car already warm and it starts first time. When its cooler day it might take multiple turns. That is why I asked that. It might become more turns over time then you know. It can also be user error. Maybe it was not cranked long enough or its flooded or whatever.

You have to wait little longer and get better symptoms. Maybe the issue becomes more consistent.

Originally Posted by funcrusher
Im not sure what your asking. Some days it clicks a few times and some days it starts up fine.....
Edit: I happened to click on one of "similar threads" below and this fits what I described: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...-problems.html

Check some of other links here before you use the search function above.

Last edited by surgeon0; 07-16-15 at 07:59 AM.
Old 07-16-15, 05:12 PM
funcrusher
Racer

Ok. It could be just loose contact. Maybe check connection. Maybe it was the fuel.

Most of the time with high mileage, it is a starting sign of inside contacts showing signs of wear. What is described there is the typical scenario of a failing starter. If it is intermittent then it could be other things like ignition switch (which might need more time and more checking on symptoms). Do a search using starter problems and see if something is similar.

When you start in hot weather or car already warm and it starts first time. When its cooler day it might take multiple turns. That is why I asked that. It might become more turns over time then you know. It can also be user error. Maybe it was not cranked long enough or its flooded or whatever.

You have to wait little longer and get better symptoms. Maybe the issue becomes more consistent.

Edit: I happened to click on one of "similar threads" below and this fits what I described: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...-problems.html

Check some of other links here before you use the search function above.
Interesting!! But i cant believe a Lexus mechanic wouldnt know that!? He is a buddy so its not like hes trying to pull a fast one
Old 07-16-15, 09:27 PM
surgeon0
Pit Crew

Well, just wait longer so that you can pinpoint the issue. Notice when it starts normal and when it takes a few turns. There should be some consistency. You have some info now so make observations.

As for mechanic, he is not pulling a fast one. Most of them do not do this repair. It is faster and easier to replace with another unit. This is true of most components. Just post back later on.
Old 07-17-15, 12:52 AM
funcrusher
Racer

Well, just wait longer so that you can pinpoint the issue. Notice when it starts normal and when it takes a few turns. There should be some consistency. You have some info now so make observations.

As for mechanic, he is not pulling a fast one. Most of them do not do this repair. It is faster and easier to replace with another unit. This is true of most components. Just post back later on.
Thank you.