ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Where did my gas go?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-20, 07:30 PM
Branewgai
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where did my gas go?

Hello guys thanks for taking the time to read. I'm a new owner to a 97 Lexus es 300. I bought it 2 days ago cash for about 2400. The test drive went really well and so did the drive home until the last five or eight minutes I was riding on e looking for a gas station. I got out filled the car up took 27 dollar.s got in turned the car on and watched the gauge hesitate to move past the first quarter at first then slowly by slowly progress to about 7/8 of the way up and didn't quit reached the top. Shrugged it off. Made a run or to down the street it was fine. Then the second day today I rode to Walmart took the highway to make sure it would run. It reached 65 my speed limit pretty well but about eight or ten minutes the car started to jerk abit and I just went into Walmart. When I come out the car won't start. The battery Is fine the gas gauge still reads full or 7/8ths but the fuel tank is empty even though I filled it yesterday. I put 3 dollars worth in and take it to the station. I then have trouble getting my car to take more gas. I put it in little by little then just took it home. Should I be more concerned? I'm waiting to see if the gas will still disappear. Sorry for the length meant to be thorough.( My uncle believes maybe my gas never got in the tank? Or that some stole my gas? But the fuel gauge still reads full it actually went up a little putting more gas today.)
Old 04-19-20, 08:46 PM
BMeek
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

What made you think it was out of gas again with the guage at 7/8? Do you smell the gas in a big way as you would if it were leaking out? Sounds to me like a clogged fuel line / filter / pump / injector(s) ? Thankfully I haven't had to deal with such issues with my '98 ES. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will have more specific suggestions.
[Edit] By the way, congrats on your purchase and welcome. You bought a great old car make/model... You'll sort this out.

Last edited by BMeek; 04-19-20 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-20-20, 08:01 AM
Branewgai
Driver School Candidate

My uncle came to.help me out. He undid some rubber ribbed tube sprayed what I think was engine starter or something? He said it went to the gas and tat if started after that all it needs was gas. He then showed me tappin with his fist on the tank that it was hollow this was my first time doing this and it sounded and felt hollow to me. We wento grab a couple gallons put I in then took it the gas station to get more. Then putting gas it would on take very very little at a time and keep stopping as if full. I didn't record how much I out back in but it was not much. I filled up the day before didn't drive anywhere my gauge still read full but the tank really did seem empty to me, also I didn see any gas leak marks where my car was the whole night . Thank you I hope to keep it running and restore it's beauty.
Old 04-20-20, 01:21 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 754 Likes on 630 Posts

Hello,

From what I understood, you tapped on the gas tank to verify that it is empty? I doesn't work like that, even full gas tank will sound hollow. The only true way to check if you have gas in the tank besides gauge is to take the rear seat out, and then remove the fuel pump assembly out, but it is messy and cumbersome. Judging by the fact that you weren't able to put much fuel in the tank, I would suggest that your gauge is perfectly operable. Speaking of which, it is normal for it to rise really, really slowly, it may reach the top only after an extensive ride. That is because the gauge is filled with a thick substance to prevent it from giggling around as you drive.

How did you start the car after you returned from Walmart? Did the starter fluid help? Check your fuel filter, since it may be clogged; it should be right under the air box, if it looks old, I would suggest replacing it, since it is not that expensive. If that won't help, I would suggest to visit a local mechanic, since other diagnostics procedures are a bit trickier and require some knowledge and experience.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Old 05-26-20, 05:03 PM
User902748
Driver School Candidate

Default Leak?

Originally Posted by Branewgai
Hello guys thanks for taking the time to read. I'm a new owner to a 97 Lexus es 300. I bought it 2 days ago cash for about 2400. The test drive went really well and so did the drive home until the last five or eight minutes I was riding on e looking for a gas station. I got out filled the car up took 27 dollar.s got in turned the car on and watched the gauge hesitate to move past the first quarter at first then slowly by slowly progress to about 7/8 of the way up and didn't quit reached the top. Shrugged it off. Made a run or to down the street it was fine. Then the second day today I rode to Walmart took the highway to make sure it would run. It reached 65 my speed limit pretty well but about eight or ten minutes the car started to jerk abit and I just went into Walmart. When I come out the car won't start. The battery Is fine the gas gauge still reads full or 7/8ths but the fuel tank is empty even though I filled it yesterday. I put 3 dollars worth in and take it to the station. I then have trouble getting my car to take more gas. I put it in little by little then just took it home. Should I be more concerned? I'm waiting to see if the gas will still disappear. Sorry for the length meant to be thorough.( My uncle believes maybe my gas never got in the tank? Or that some stole my gas? But the fuel gauge still reads full it actually went up a little putting more gas today.)
I think your problem is a leak in your fuel line or gas tank. I have had that problem before with my other car. The pipes had rusted through to a point there was a hole where the gas would leak out.

Look under the car where the fuel line is to see any defects. Hope this helps

Last edited by User902748; 05-26-20 at 05:11 PM.