ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Remote question + interior

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-18, 11:40 PM
Bexar
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Remote question + interior

Hey everyone, just purchased my 2003 ES 300 a few weeks ago.

Planning on making this my max comfort daily driver. Nothing better than Lexus for that right ?

1. Anyone know if I am able to add a remote key if I've only got one key non-remote key? Only received one key with the car and it's not a remote key

2. How do I remove the roof console that houses the sunglasses holder and map lights?

3. How do I remove the emergency trunk latch handle after pulling off the upper trunk liner?

Thanks

Old 12-10-18, 08:35 AM
VicSWFL
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Greetings:

I can offer some help on your key situation. Assuming that the one key you received is a master key (instead of a valet key), you can easily add a remote key, non-remote, or wallet keys. To determine that you have a master key, does the key lock and unlock the glove box and the pass through hatch behind the rear seat armrest. If the answer is "yes", you have a master key. I started with a remote key and a valet key and added a non-remote master key and the wallet key. I purchased my keys from 1010 keys. They are on ebay and are very reasonable and will cut the key from a photo if you don't know the key code. Your car will program the newly cut key. The programming instructions are a little strange but work perfectly. The transponder key instructions for a 2003 Lexus ES300 are:

TYPE C

Lexus Key and Remote Programming Instructions

Key Programming
1. Insert an already programmed master key into the ignition. Do not turn.
2. Press and release the gas pedal 5 times.
3. Press and release the brake pedal 6 times.
4. Remove the key from the ignition.
5. Insert the new key you want to program into the ignition.
6. Press and release the gas pedal one time.
7. Wait 1 minute. The security light will be blinking for this one minute. When it stops blinking your

key is programmed. To end programming step on brake one time.

NOTE: Look for your security light. This light will guide you during the programming procedure. The security light will go off at Step 1. It will remain off until Step 6. The security light will come on and start to blink after Step 6 until the key is programmed. If the security light comes on after Step 4 STOP the procedure and start over again.

If you perform this procedure too slowly your car will not go into programming mode. If you can not get your car to go into programming mode make sure you are using a master key and not a valet key.

If you have a master key then you will probably need to perform this procedure more quickly.

Good luck to you,

Vic
Fort Myers, Florida
2003 ES300 millennium silver with 130K miles
Old 12-10-18, 10:57 AM
wmj259
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

If you order for 1010 keys, be careful when you choose between the 3 button and 4 button version.
Old 12-10-18, 11:30 AM
Bexar
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by VicSWFL
Greetings:

I can offer some help on your key situation. Assuming that the one key you received is a master key (instead of a valet key), you can easily add a remote key, non-remote, or wallet keys. To determine that you have a master key, does the key lock and unlock the glove box and the pass through hatch behind the rear seat armrest. If the answer is "yes", you have a master key. I started with a remote key and a valet key and added a non-remote master key and the wallet key. I purchased my keys from 1010 keys. They are on ebay and are very reasonable and will cut the key from a photo if you don't know the key code. Your car will program the newly cut key. The programming instructions are a little strange but work perfectly. The transponder key instructions for a 2003 Lexus ES300 are:

TYPE C

Lexus Key and Remote Programming Instructions

Key Programming
1. Insert an already programmed master key into the ignition. Do not turn.
2. Press and release the gas pedal 5 times.
3. Press and release the brake pedal 6 times.
4. Remove the key from the ignition.
5. Insert the new key you want to program into the ignition.
6. Press and release the gas pedal one time.
7. Wait 1 minute. The security light will be blinking for this one minute. When it stops blinking your

key is programmed. To end programming step on brake one time.

NOTE: Look for your security light. This light will guide you during the programming procedure. The security light will go off at Step 1. It will remain off until Step 6. The security light will come on and start to blink after Step 6 until the key is programmed. If the security light comes on after Step 4 STOP the procedure and start over again.

If you perform this procedure too slowly your car will not go into programming mode. If you can not get your car to go into programming mode make sure you are using a master key and not a valet key.

If you have a master key then you will probably need to perform this procedure more quickly.

Good luck to you,
Thanks for this info! I had no idea how to figure out if I have a master key
So....looks like I got a valet key
I seriously value remote entry, do I have any options at all ??
Old 12-19-18, 07:58 AM
Bexar
Driver School Candidate

Any ideas on how to get a set of master keys with remote entry programmed when I only have the Valet key ?

thanks
Old 12-19-18, 08:13 AM
crwys
Lead Lap

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

You have 2 options
well 3 I guess
Cheapest option. Look up how to do the imobilizer hack on your year car
Cheaper option, easier. Buy a master key online then take it to a shop to get cut and have the dealer program it.
expensive but easiest option. Just take it to the dealership and tell them what you need.
Old 12-19-18, 09:17 AM
harrisbaig
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by crwys
You have 2 options
well 3 I guess
Cheapest option. Look up how to do the imobilizer hack on your year car
Cheaper option, easier. Buy a master key online then take it to a shop to get cut and have the dealer program it.
expensive but easiest option. Just take it to the dealership and tell them what you need.
some locksmiths can program for a fraction of the dealer cost. we lost our master and he gave us 2 programmed keys for $150
Old 12-19-18, 10:17 AM
crwys
Lead Lap

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by harrisbaig
some locksmiths can program for a fraction of the dealer cost. we lost our master and he gave us 2 programmed keys for $150
I guess that is a good point. Where I live there is not a single shop within a 2 hour drive that can cut a lexus key let alone program one. But when I traveled to Portland there was 3 different shops that could cut me a key but I didn't ask about programming one.
Old 12-19-18, 10:30 AM
wmj259
Intermediate

If time is not an issue, you could ask if the dealership or locksmith would cut keys that aren't sold by them, that way you can get good cheaper keys from eBay.
Old 12-20-18, 05:13 PM
Bexar
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the help.

Time is not not an issue, just trying to do it the cheapest way.
I see going to the dealer = $$
Ill contact some local locksmiths and ask.
Old 12-20-18, 05:20 PM
wmj259
Intermediate

You will have to get estimates from all possible solutions.

Whether you get the key +/- programming from the dealer (if they even offer this or out source or don't do at all)

​​​​​​Or have a locksmith supply you with the keys +/- programming.
Old 12-21-18, 05:25 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

ikeyless.com is where I get my replacement keys. Follow programming instructions above^
Old 12-22-18, 11:23 AM
Bexar
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
ikeyless.com is where I get my replacement keys. Follow programming instructions above^
Thanks, but did you do this when you had only the valet key available ?