ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Moog quick struts for 4es?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-18, 08:24 AM
msekanha
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Moog quick struts for 4es?

What's going on everyone?

It's been years since i've posted on here and as my 2005 4es approaches 200k, she is in need of a minor front end suspension rebuild.

At the moment, i'm chasing the imfamous front end clunk/popping over bumps, turning etc.

So far, I have replaced the sway bar end links and bushings all around and the clunking/popping noises have gotten worse
which leads me to believe that the strut mounts are bad.

Searching and reading through this forum, it seems as though everyone agrees that front OEM strut mounts are the way to go.

My original idea was to JUST replace the front strut mounts with OEMs, considering that my struts and springs are still in good shape. However, with the car almost approaching 200k, it seems as though replacing the whole strut assembly would be the better route.

So my question... Does anyone have any experience with the Moog quick struts from rockauto? It seems as though most of you guys had bad experience with Monroe quick struts and other el-cheapo brands. The search bar yielded nothing on Moog quick struts...

I'm not concerned with maintaining "OEM ride quality" in a sense, I just want quiet down the suspension clunking/popping noises..

Any feedback appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by msekanha; 04-13-18 at 08:28 AM.
Old 04-13-18, 09:51 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

insightbrewery over at Toyota Nation uses them says he's had good success. None of the aftermarket parts are going to be as reliable as OEM there will be a risk of getting defective parts.
Old 04-13-18, 07:09 PM
Oro
Racer

Received 339 Likes on 294 Posts

If I were to use the quick strut, I would consider KYB. I am very happy with their cartridges, and they are the OEM for Toyota.

since you are looking at an alignment afterwards, I would do lca’s and ball joints at the same time. 200k on RI roads should have them about worn out or close enough.
Old 04-14-18, 01:42 PM
PCV
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just an FYI Toyota/Lexus are pretty finicky with strut mount, and most aftermarket strut mounts usually don't last longer than 30k miles before the clucking sound comes back. OEM strut mounts are the ideal way to go, but they are too pricy IMO. So my suggestion is to buy KYB strut mounts and Monroe OE struts separately. KYB strut mounts last longer compared to other aftermarket brands and it's not the same you get on quick struts. The ones on quick struts are junk.

Depend on your situation here if you really can't be bothered to use spring compressor, quick struts are definitely the right choice for you. KYB lasts longer but rides hard as hell. Monroe rides smoother than KYB but won't last
Old 04-15-18, 10:50 AM
msekanha
Intermediate

Thanks for responses & info everyone...

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
insightbrewery over at
Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Toyota Nation uses them says he's had good success. None of the aftermarket parts are going to be as reliable as OEM there will be a risk of getting defective parts.

I'm almost leaning towards the Moog quick struts, considering that I can't find any other reputable name brand quick struts, so that's what I like to hear. I drive my cars somewhat "hard", so I may repost a review of the longevity/durability on the Moog brands.

Originally Posted by Oro
If I were to use the quick strut, I would consider KYB. I am very happy with their cartridges, and they are the OEM for Toyota. since you are looking at an alignment afterwards, I would do lca’s and ball joints at the same time. 200k on RI roads should have them about worn out or close enough.

Does KYB make a quick strut version? I couldn't find anything online, otherwise, I'd rather go this route. I really don't have the time to find & piece individual parts so quick struts are more ideal for me. My LCA bushings are dry rotted and shot so I'll be replacing those as well. Could explain as to why my tires have inner and outer wear despite after 2 alignments.

Originally Posted by PCV
Just an FYI Toyota/Lexus are pretty finicky with strut mount, and most aftermarket strut mounts usually don't last longer than 30k miles before the clucking sound comes back. OEM strut mounts are the ideal way to go, but they are too pricy IMO. So my suggestion is to buy KYB strut mounts and Monroe OE struts separately. KYB strut mounts last longer compared to other aftermarket brands and it's not the same you get on quick struts. The ones on quick struts are junk.
Originally Posted by PCV
Depend on your situation here if you really can't be bothered to use spring compressor, quick struts are definitely the right choice for you. KYB lasts longer but rides hard as hell. Monroe rides smoother than KYB but won't last

I've been searching for a pair of KYB quick struts but can't find anything. Initially, I was just going to buy OEM strut mounts and use my original hardware since everything is still in good shape, but as you said, those things freakin' pricey.. Almost the same price as a quick strut. Plus at 200k, I feel as though I may benefit more just replacing with "quality" quick struts (if that even exists). I'd like to try to avoid piecing struts together and using spring compressors, so I think my plan at the moment will be to replace with Moog quick struts and see how long they will last.

I do see that rockauto has a pair of KYB strut mounts for about $50 each.. I wondering if it would be more beneficial to just replace the strut mounts with the KYB brand and use my existing struts and springs instead of buying quick strut?
Old 04-15-18, 02:04 PM
Oro
Racer

Received 339 Likes on 294 Posts

If you want to use the KYB "strut plus" - use the parts for the same year V6 Camry. They are the same (Moog specs the identical parts, you can check the numbers on their website). KYB doesn't list it for the ES as the rear spring rate is slightly different. But it's dimensionally the same in all regards and works well.

Your other option, if mechanically capable/inclined and it sounds like you are, is to buy four strut cartridges from KYB, four mounts of your choice, boots (likely), and then rear coil springs to replace yours. They will be shot at this point or very soon. Given you need to buy mounts and rear springs, the KYB strut may be about the same price and easier to do given the need to buy mounts.

Before you tear it all apart, jack up the car and wiggle the tire on different axes looking for play. The axis of play can indicate mounts/ball joints (which you are changing), or also steering play. Grab the spring and spin the tire, and feel for any bearing wear. These tests can help you get everything tight and the parts on hand before tearing it apart and then getting an alignment.
Old 04-18-18, 11:12 AM
msekanha
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Oro
If you want to use the KYB "strut plus" - use the parts for the same year V6 Camry. They are the same (Moog specs the identical parts, you can check the numbers on their website). KYB doesn't list it for the ES as the rear spring rate is slightly different. But it's dimensionally the same in all regards and works well.

Your other option, if mechanically capable/inclined and it sounds like you are, is to buy four strut cartridges from KYB, four mounts of your choice, boots (likely), and then rear coil springs to replace yours. They will be shot at this point or very soon. Given you need to buy mounts and rear springs, the KYB strut may be about the same price and easier to do given the need to buy mounts.

Before you tear it all apart, jack up the car and wiggle the tire on different axes looking for play. The axis of play can indicate mounts/ball joints (which you are changing), or also steering play. Grab the spring and spin the tire, and feel for any bearing wear. These tests can help you get everything tight and the parts on hand before tearing it apart and then getting an alignment.
Bit the bullet and deciding to take my chances with a pair of front Moog quick struts. Working almost 60hrs a week doesn't leave me much time to piece the suspension together. I won't be touching the rear suspension considering that it's still tight and quiet (surprisingly)... for the time being.

The front end is tight, however, the LCA bushings were pretty shot which I finished replacing last night along with ball joints and boy let me tell you... What a PITA. Engine & tranny mounts have to be disconnected, raise motor, remove CV axle etc;

Pic of front sway bar bushing replacement... Lowering subframe was the easiest way to get to them..

Pretty much all the rubber is shot on this car... I'll be replacing the engine, tranny & "dog bone" mounts while i'm at it.
Old 04-19-18, 11:16 AM
ES300TX
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Holy crap. That looks like a PITA. I'm going to ditch this rail before it gets to that point.
Old 04-21-18, 08:39 AM
msekanha
Intermediate

Its definitely a PITA job but dooable if you're good with the wrench.

One advice i'd suggest is unbolt your front pipe from the pre-cats before you decide to jack up the motor. In order to remove the tranny mount, you have to jack the motor up high enough for clearance.

Well... Jacking it up high enough ended up ripping my flex pipe in-half... Mind you, this is only a two-year old flex pipe...
Old 05-21-18, 02:56 PM
ES300TX
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PCV

KYB strut mounts seem pretty flimsy to me. Their bearings are down right paper thin, made in India. I'm not happy with them at all. In fact, I have Monroes on my 2005 Acura MDX and they are holding together pretty well so far. At least they aren't crappy out of the box.