ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

97 ES300 Sunroof problem brewing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-18, 11:55 AM
BriWill
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 ES300 Sunroof problem brewing?

Hi all,

I have a 97 ES300 with 213K miles that I love and where everything works (except heated seats).

Just the other day, the sunroof motor starting making a not-good-sounding noise when opening...kind of a lower-pitched grinding/straining type of noise. The actual sliding of the roof seems smooth, no appearance of stuttering or binding. Pushing on the roof with my hand while it is opening (to help out the motor) doesn't change the sound. Everything is very smooth when the roof closes; motor noise is normal, and closing operation is smooth. I had previously lubed the rails, so I doubt it needs more lubricant (seems odd to only need lube in one direction), but I'm going to try it anyway.

Any other ideas on what is going on? I suspect that the motor may be nearing death. If I have to swap out the motor, can this be done without dropping the headliner? I've spent time looking for a relevant how-to thread or YouTube video, but no luck. Thanks in advance...

- BRW.
Old 04-27-18, 03:37 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

I haven't tried but if you remove the map light/glasses holder thingy you should be able to have enough access to the motor. Or you may need to remove the sun shades. If the motor mechanism is like others I've dealt with there is a plastic gear that tends to wear out and eventually strip that could be your issue.
Old 05-01-18, 10:39 AM
BriWill
Driver School Candidate

Based on the pictures in this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...or-wiring.html

it looks like the motor should be easily accessible.

However, I'm having trouble removing the map light/sunroof switch assembly. The front (towards the windshield) is held on by two screws, and two clips that grab the headliner. But I can't get the back to release; I've tried sliding it forward, but something in the center of the rear assembly is holding it in. I don't see how there could be a screw accessible, but maybe I'm missing something, and I don't want to force it and break something.

Anyone know how to get the rear of the assembly to release? Thx.
Old 05-03-18, 07:58 AM
mika88
Driver School Candidate

I'll lend your thread for a quick question: Is it normal that when you are closing the sunroof from 'full-open' it does not automatically stop at the proper 'close' position but keeps going up to 'tilted' position? I find it weird that you really have to pay attention to leave it correctly closed, not a bit open either way.
Old 05-21-18, 03:18 PM
BriWill
Driver School Candidate

Just a final update on this. I bought a used motor off ebay to see if that fixed the noise (what the heck...it was just $50). I was able to access the motor without dropping the entire headliner, but I did need to remove the sunshade clip on the driver's side. That gave me enough room (barely) to access the third bolt on the motor frame.

With the replacement motor, the noise is gone. Yeah!

FYI, to remove the sunroof switch/map light assembly, there are two screws towards the front of the car (easily visible), and there is a *third* screw in the rear, underneath the plastic map light lens. Just pop the map light lens off with a flat head screwdriver, and the screw is easily accessible. With that screw off, everything is easily removed.