ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Programs / delete keys rfid

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-21, 07:46 AM
Islander11
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Programs / delete keys rfid

Program / delete key 2001 es300 issue

Thanks for accepting me here, owners of an lx570 and rx450. I recently bought a nice 2001 es300 for our son. One owner records 123k miles one issue is there is only one key fob. I bought replacements from Amazon, had them cut, programed the fobs. However, I can't get the ecu to recognize the rfid chip, so it won't start. Do I need to delete previous keys? I haven't found the process for the 2001 only 2002 and newer. We have a single "MASTER" and one other key without the fob that also won't start the car.

Other than needing to address the extra key there is a rear suspension sound that I believe is the struts but per the records it looks like Lexus re p laced them about 800 miles (3 years) ago, and some front bumper repairs

BTW, son is 22 not a 16yo

Last edited by Islander11; 12-07-21 at 09:28 AM.
Old 12-07-21, 10:37 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,038 Likes on 2,552 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...apped-ecu.html

This may or may not work I can't get a straight answer if it works on the ES300
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...preciated.html

Old 12-07-21, 05:27 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 808 Likes on 679 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...apped-ecu.html

This may or may not work I can't get a straight answer if it works on the ES300
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...preciated.html
Hello,

As far as I am aware, you don't need to wipe the RFID Chip as long as you still have at least one Master key, below is the video on how to program new keys if you still have a Master key, give it a try and see if it works.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Old 12-08-21, 02:23 PM
Islander11
10th Gear

Thanks I had tried the method in the videos
of gas 5 brake 6, remove, change, light stops and you programmed. The security light doesn't stop blinking.
I have read the ecu only stores 3 keys ?
If I need to buy and learn techstream I guess just can as there are somethings I would l[k at on my LX
Old 12-08-21, 02:54 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

I think it's more than 3 keys but either way once at the limit you can't program more unless you A)virgin out the ECU or B)use Techstream don't know if Techstream can zero out all keys and start again.
Old 12-08-21, 08:17 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

That would be quite weird for the ECU to only store 3 keys, since that is what the car comes with from the factory, so it kind of defeats the purpose of having a programming mode with no way of erasing old keys. You wrote that you got your new keys from Amazon, there is some chance they may be incompatible with the car or defective from the factory..

Speaking of Techstream, I just checked and it is possible to both Program and Erase keys with it, below is a screenshot. Erase function will clear out all the keys stored in the memory for the exception of the one currently in the ignition switch. It was quite a task to force the Techstream to function with my car however, from what I read online, no one had that many troubles with it, so I may make a write-up about it in the future.. For the time being, try going around a local junkyard or looking through eBay to see if you can find a used key assembly or just the transponder to eliminate the possibility of it being a faulty key.

The following users liked this post:
LeX2K (12-08-21)
Old 12-09-21, 03:26 PM
Islander11
10th Gear

Thanks, local and junk yard doesn't happen. I would guess the closest is 11/2hr and they don't have much. There is always a chance the Amazon keys are bad.
Old 12-09-21, 03:29 PM
Islander11
10th Gear

I should add I know nothing about techstream other than maybe how to spell it

Sources for cable and software? Would a Bluetooth/wifi obd2 reader interface?
Old 12-09-21, 03:36 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Is your key FCC ID HYQ1512V the one with 3 buttons?
Old 12-10-21, 04:07 PM
Islander11
10th Gear

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Is your key FCC ID HYQ1512V the one with 3 buttons?
yes, that is the remote key we have
Old 12-10-21, 05:57 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Islander11
I should add I know nothing about techstream other than maybe how to spell it

Sources for cable and software? Would a Bluetooth/wifi obd2 reader interface?
The problem with Techstream is all the legal hurtles and the fact that it is generally not allowed to discuss unauthorized stuff like that on this forum, for this reason, it took me a better part of a year to piece it all together and make it work with my car. The most I can do is share the J2534 Pass-Thru driver that someone compiled a while back for a VAG K+CAN Commander cable, which enables it to work with pretty much any diagnostics software you can find. The rest has been covered before..

For now, the best bet would be to try a different transponder. You mentioned that you also have an LX, what year is it? See if that key will get recognized by the ECU, take the transponder out of the ES key you purchased, then put LX key near the ignition lock and see what happens..

Attached Files
File Type: zip
J2534KCANv1.0.0.10.zip (1.78 MB, 14 views)

Last edited by Arsenii; 12-10-21 at 06:01 PM.
Old 12-11-21, 09:16 AM
Islander11
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Arsenii
The problem with Techstream is all the legal hurtles and the fact that it is generally not allowed to discuss unauthorized stuff like that on this forum, for this reason,

Thank you did not realize that was an issue based on other forums.

The LX is and 09 and the rx is a 13 so I really don't mess with those fobs... I have held the existing key that works next to the new key that need to be programmed and the car still just cranks.
Old 12-11-21, 02:04 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Islander11
Thank you did not realize that was an issue based on other forums.

The LX is and 09 and the rx is a 13 so I really don't mess with those fobs... I have held the existing key that works next to the new key that need to be programmed and the car still just cranks.
There is one other thing you can try - Toyota sells OEM valet keys for about $20 (P/N: 89786-30020), see if one of those would get recognized by the car, if so, then it would indicate that you have issues with keys you got from Amazon, if not, then you will need to explore other ways of programming keys in that car. In either case, you can always return both of those keys if all attempts would fail..

You can register up to 3 valet keys, including the one that came from the factory. Make sure to take the internals out of your Master key when you bring the key to be programmed to the Ignition Lock, otherwise you will create an interference between two keys.

The process for Valet key is as follows:
  1. Insert already registered Master key in the key cylinder
  2. Depress and release the acceleration pedal 4 times.
  3. Depress and release the brake pedal 5 times, then remove the Master key.
  4. Insert the Valet key to be registered in key cylinder.
  5. Depress and release the acceleration pedal 1 time. (Security indicator blinks)
  6. After 60 seconds Security indicator will turn OFF, Valet key should then be programmed.
  7. Once done, pull the key out and depress the brake pedal to exit programming mode.

EDIT: I wonder if there is any internal difference between Master and Valet key besides the way it is cut and how it is stored in the ECU.. If it has the same exact transponder, that would explain why Valet key requires a different programming method, which would also mean that you can use a Valet key as Master if you cut and program it the right way. Thoughts?

Last edited by Arsenii; 12-11-21 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Thoughts on Valet key