ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Thermostat housing

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-17, 02:38 PM
wsrivers
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thermostat housing

I have a 1994 ES300 and I'm trying to change the thermostat. I found it but it looks like I have to remove the starter to remove the housing. I hope thats not the case. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions so I can remove this housing so I can install this new thermostat. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-04-17, 03:33 PM
stirfryboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wsrivers
I have a 1994 ES300 and I'm trying to change the thermostat. I found it but it looks like I have to remove the starter to remove the housing. I hope thats not the case. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions so I can remove this housing so I can install this new thermostat. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
I don't think you do need to remove the starter to get the thermostat out. The thermostat is located way back from the starter. That being said, the starter is easy to remove.
Old 05-04-17, 05:40 PM
wsrivers
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There seems to be so much stuff keeping the housing in place. What I mean is there are three bolts that it sits on. I got the nuts off of it and the housing is loose but I can't seem to get it clear of the bolts to remove it. Thinking it had to be redesigned in the following years.
Old 05-04-17, 08:09 PM
nsghtbrwry
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

I just did this yesterday. You need to:

- drain radiator (front block drain helps a lot as well)
- get lower radiator hose off water inlet pipe
- unbolt water inlet pipe from engine (14mm bolt)
- twist water inlet pipe and pull it out of the thermostat housing, remove toward front of vehicle. Held in by o-ring (you should get another at the dealer to replace it)
- I managed to get the thermostat housing off by only disconnecting the #2 ECT sensor connector (it's in the thermostat housing) and the front bank OCV connector (if it's brittle and you pull on it, the OCV will break)
- three 10mm nuts on the thermostat housing. If you're careful you can get them out, but if you drop them it'll be a PitA. If you really want to, you can separate the various hoses above it. Air assist (if you're in CA or have a VVTi motor), heater core, etc.
- use a pair of pliers to grab and remove the old thermostat. If you didn't drain from the front of the block, you will have coolant pouring out onto the trans now. Make sure to get the old thermostat gasket out...it can be stuck to the water inlet plate
- the jiggle valve on the new thermostat has to line up with the top stud on the water inlet plate
- clean up the thermostat housing and water inlet pipe (if your valve covers are leaking, it will be grimy as all hell)
- torque on the thermostat housing nuts is 69 in-lbs. Torque on the water inlet pipe bolt (make sure to push it into the thermostat housing until it seats!) is 14 ft-lbs
- reconnect the #2 ECT sensor and front bank OCV, along with the lower radiator hose. Make sure your radiator petcock and front block drain are tightened closed.
- bleed the system
- drive off into the sunset