ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Random start-up issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-17, 07:50 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Random start-up issue

Ok, my trusted ES started misbehaving with me a bit and wanted set her straight before she goes completely out of control .

She is currently with 283k miles under her belt have been well taken care of (original owner). One morning last month, when started she wouldn't start. Few attempts, heard clicking but no go. Finally could able to start the ignition by keep pressing gas pedal. If I take off gas pedal, rpm would plummet and engine stalls. So I kept the gas pedal pressed for few minutes at around 2000 rpm, put the car in reverse gear. Car didn't have enough power to move. Changed to drive, same. Took the keys off and started again, everything was normal as if nothing has ever happened.

Took the car to dealer, recommended changing battery ( 6 yrs old). Changed the battery.

Fast forwarding to today, started the car today morning to move her to a side. Everything was fine. Came back 30 minutes later to go to office. Started, heard clicking and something started but didn't feel like engine is fully running. Few attempts, same result. Only way to keep the engine going is to keep the gas pedal pressed. Still, I felt only part of the engine running, like not the normal full engine sound.

Took the key off and started again, everything worked as normal!. No CEL. Between this one month, I averaged 26mpg (when calculated at gas pump). Today when filled gas, calculated again, its 28.20 mpg !!!!!. Not sure relevant or not, but thought of sharing this info as well.

What's going on with my car?. Ignition going down?. Ignition coils need replacement?. What causes engine to stall (rpm to die) immediately after starting the car?.
Old 04-27-17, 08:39 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Try some strong fuel injector cleaner.
My 97 ES300 had similar issue around +200k miles. A can of Seafoam fixed the problem.
Old 04-27-17, 09:01 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

There might be two issues at play here. The car not running without throttle at initial start up is a classic dirty IACV. That can be cleaned quickly and easily, there are various DIYs floating here and in the 1RX forum. But, the click at initial key turn sounds like the contacts in the starter.
The following users liked this post:
satiger (05-21-17)
Old 04-27-17, 09:18 AM
Oro
Racer

Received 339 Likes on 294 Posts

If changing the battery solved the problem for a while and then it returned, check your alternator.

It may not be providing adequate voltage, or it may have a bad rectifier and passing ac voltage, too. 283k is well past a normal life-span for one, and some cars would even need a 3rd one by that mileage.

SeaFoam is not a not bad idea at any time for about any vehicle. Another long-term technique is to add a few ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil to the gas (3~4 oz./gallon). I get more power and better mileage with it in addition to the cleaning. Mainly due, I believe, to the lubrication properties vs. any magical cleaning power or such. Ethanol in the gas robs a lot of lubricity in the upper cylinder vs "real" gas. It is cheap at Walmart and more than pays for itself in gas savings in addition to keeping the fuel system clean.
Old 04-27-17, 11:02 AM
satiger
Instructor

Thanks guys. I have used seaform many times on this car. Will try that.

I did clean IACV about 40k miles. During assembly, I knocked off some tube that gave me P0420 CEL. Do you think some air leak (rich air to O2) that is causing engine to stall upon starting?.

Did load testing at dealership and at Sears. Alternator seems to work fine.
Old 04-29-17, 12:47 AM
ES300NZ
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

starter issue. bad contacts.

poor running condition might be alot of things. suggest you check for a vaccum leak, (intake piping), replace the plugs, and refill tank with high quality fuel.
Old 05-21-17, 06:14 AM
satiger
Instructor

Update : As stated by members here and reading online, it points to dirty or failing IACV. When spoke with dealer, he suggested cleaning that first before replacing.

So, I used throttle body cleaner (3M and CRC) and did clean IAVC and butterfly valves. Its an easy job in ES, took about 15 minutes in total. Based on 3M direction, I was suppose to get white smoke while pumping throttle body cleaner into throttle body and running the engine at 2000 rpm. But didn't get white smoke at that time. However, once I finish and assembled everything and started the car, did see small amount of white smoke through exhaust. At the same time did get CEL.

Didn't read CEL code but decided to take the car for a 15 minutes highway driving. On the way back CEL went away. Most likely it could've been P0420 because I have been getting that intermittently and goes away on its own. For those who get CEL P0420 intermittently, cleaning IAVC could be a simple and easy first step than trying to replace oxygen or mass airflow sensors.

So far, car is behaving well when starts. Hope it stays the same.....

What I am puzzled by is about mpg over last two months or so. As I mentioned in OP, I was getting 28.2 mpg during two consecutive gas fillings. Then I got another 28.2 mpg third time. Then it dropped to 26.2 and remains there till now. What would've caused car to get 28.2 mpg and then to dropped to 26.2?. Never I have seen 28 mpg on this car.

Last edited by satiger; 05-21-17 at 07:24 AM.
Old 05-21-17, 06:35 AM
Drizell
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Glad to hear Satiger, that is has almost 300k on miles. When have u had a tune up? New tires help mine get the extra mpg.
I get 4 of those gas treatment bottles STP. Also use HEET' that takes water from the gas line, 1 bottle of that helps in the summer by protecting water corrosion(in the red bottle) Like O' boy stated earlier post, vacuum leak or something of that nature. Does not sound like ur going to be facing major repair or nothing. At the end of the day give Her a big kiss on the hood and say that's my baby. And Poof like magic your car will start. If it does not, kick it at the tire and threaten to sell your tired ASP. Usually works! I'm being funny but ppl do treat their cars like ppl too. So tell that bytch ur gonna take me to work, I don't wana hear no 2000 rpm bullshyt.