ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Dented oil pan, how to check pickup tube?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-16, 08:20 PM
WILLYumD
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Question Dented oil pan, how to check pickup tube?

After putting on my new pads and rotors (shout out to 808mcv20l for the help), I was excited to go out and drive. Off I went and soon I met some decent traffic.
Then the tailgate of the truck in front of me swung open and down fell the cinder-blocks (I think they were?) . With cars on all sides of me, I had no where to go.

BUMP and my heart dropped. That truck had no idea what happened and kept on going.

Thankfully my 1 day old tires were fine. My skid plate was hanging askew and there is a sizable dent in the center of my oil pan. I drove back home and I'm pretty sure I heard a light rattle around 2500 RPM for a second.
I suspect the pickup tube is touching the bottom of the oil pan and vibrating against it.

I'm going to order a new pan and some FIPG (the pan was leaking a bit anyways), but when I do drop the pan, how do I check if the pickup tube is okay?
Old 11-13-16, 08:54 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by WILLYumD
After putting on my new pads and rotors (shout out to 808mcv20l for the help), I was excited to go out and drive. Off I went and soon I met some decent traffic.
Then the tailgate of the truck in front of me swung open and down fell the cinder-blocks (I think they were?) . With cars on all sides of me, I had no where to go.

BUMP and my heart dropped. That truck had no idea what happened and kept on going.

Thankfully my 1 day old tires were fine. My skid plate was hanging askew and there is a sizable dent in the center of my oil pan. I drove back home and I'm pretty sure I heard a light rattle around 2500 RPM for a second.
I suspect the pickup tube is touching the bottom of the oil pan and vibrating against it.

I'm going to order a new pan and some FIPG (the pan was leaking a bit anyways), but when I do drop the pan, how do I check if the pickup tube is okay?
Sorry to hear about your misfortune, that's a bummer. It will be very obvious if the pickuo tube is damaged with a simple visual inspection.
Old 11-21-16, 10:12 PM
ES300NZ
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

you can just 'beat it out', it's 2mm thick steel and quite easy to work with.
Old 11-21-16, 10:37 PM
WILLYumD
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks for the info guys, I did it the other day and I just used some wood and pressed out the dent. Saved me $40!

Pickup tube was A-OK, the dent was much shallower than I thought.
Only thing that gave me trouble was the oil pan bolt directly above the exhaust mounting bracket.
Had to use a universal joint to deal with that bolt.

Used Toyota FIPG Black, waited a day, and my car is purring!

Anybody looking to do this should expect 1, maybe 2 hours (a lot of that is just waiting for the oil to drain).
USE JACK STANDS