ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2001 ES300 Trans Oil Pump

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-15, 05:41 AM
Kauz
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2001 ES300 Trans Oil Pump

The transmission on our 2001 ES300 (110K miles) makes a loud whining noise when we start the car, and the noise gets quieter when the car warms up. The car shifted fine for a while but after I drained and refilled the fluid it got worse and now doesn't shift right.

I'm suspecting that it's the trans front oil pump, as it's turning with the torque converter even when the engine is just idling and no power is being transferred through the torque converter. Any experts out there with transmission experience that could provide their opinion? Typically, I just replace the transmission with a rebuilt one. But, I'm just curious if anyone has ever tried replacing or rebuilding the front oil pump.

-Kauz
Old 11-01-15, 12:05 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Probably your solenoids on the way out.

I had a fine whine for one year-ish, drove fine and such. One day, the car wouldn't go into reverse... weird, no codes. Cleared the memory, drove fine for another 6months, then BOOM

Lost all my gears except 1st. Solenoids just died.

Sorry........
Old 11-03-15, 02:15 PM
mmatheny
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Have you ever changed the filter out? If it is plugged, as it probably is, it can't suck up enough fluid to work the tranny.
Old 11-03-15, 06:09 PM
Kauz
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies!

I've had the solenoids not working on another car, but I don't think that's the problem. Haven't changed the fluid strainer (filter) either, but again very unlikely that is the issue.

Like I said, when the car is just sitting in park idling it makes a loud whining noise. The transmission is not doing any work. But, as the engine turns, even while not in any gear, I believe the trans oil pump is turning with it. That's why I think the whine is coming from the oil pump since no other part of the tranny is turning. Now, if the whine was only heard when the car was moving then it would probably be the torque converter.

Of course, I'm just speculating. If I took it to the dealer they may be able to diagnose it better using their Toyota test equipment and by measuring the line pressure. I've just been hesitant to do that because I'm not sure if I'm ready to pay 4k to get the tranny replaced by the dealer. Also, if it's just the oil pump I'd hate to replace the whole tranny if it can be easily fixed.

-Kauz
Old 11-03-15, 11:26 PM
Oro
Pole Position

Received 438 Likes on 383 Posts

Two suggestions for you:

a) If you are unsure of the service hx on this unit, run some SeaFoam in the transmission per the instructions (SeaFoam Transtune and regular SeaFoam are identical, just a colorant in the Transtune flavor). Afterwards drain/fill the pan with a really good atf, like MaxLife - very good value in gallons at WalMart.

I have had this get rid of odd noises on other transmissions from neglected changes and deposits and varnish left. Cheap try. I'd run the recommended amount (a few ounces IIRC) a few day to a week, then drain/fill with MaxLife.

b) do some research on the A340/A341E on the LS400. They were/are prone to front pump failures. Lots of info out there on it on forums and the modality may help you diagnose it.

Overall, your logic is not bad that it doesn't sound like a solenoid,or a filter. But on the other hand I can think of other reasons that sound could originate, from failing thrust washers, oddly worn sprag clutches, etc. I have some transmission experience but not enough to say "hey it's this."

I would also ask what fluid you used when you drained/filled, and if you checked the fill level afterwards with the car a) hot b) running and c) immediately after shifting sequentially through all gears? If not your fill may be low and part of your subsequent problem.
Old 11-04-15, 05:57 PM
Kauz
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Oro! Great suggestions. I'll check out the LS400 board. I've never used SeaFoam but will look into it.

I replaced the fluid with Toyota brand. I think it was Dextron. Can't recall, but I'm sure I bought the right kind. I'll check the fluid level as well.

Thanks,
Kauz
Old 11-04-15, 08:27 PM
Oro
Pole Position

Received 438 Likes on 383 Posts

Older Toyota's used Dex III in the 90s; I thought the 2001 model used T-IV (I know 2002 does, but maybe that was the year of the switch on this model (it varied by model, not across the board one year).