ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Which to buy 05 ES330 or 07 Camry. Not your typical vs thread, different body.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-15, 10:45 PM
Lexus921
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Which to buy 05 ES330 or 07 Camry. Not your typical vs thread, different body.

Hi I am new to this website I just joined to ask this question. First off let me start by saying I have never been a Toyota fan didn't really care for Toyota or Lexus. But then one day when I was looking for a new car I ran into a 2002 Lexus ES300 & loved the look of the car and I bought it, enjoyed the car for about a year and a drunk driver hit me and wrecked my car. Have had a Charger R/T, Cadillac DTS and a BMW 535i since then.
Now I'm looking for something to save money and fuel. I like the Camry now & I had planned on a 2004 Camry as they are cheap and fuel efficient. But I would love to get the newer body style 07 Camry that's what I really want. But at the same time I miss my old Lexus so I want an 05 ES330. I want the 07 Camry or the 05 ES 330 they both have roughly the same mpg's & I can get both under $6000. I plan on putting a Pioneer navigation system in either one I pick. Lexus looks nice and luxurious but the camera looks more modern and I like that look. I could even pick up an aftermarket wood grain kit for the Camry. Is the Camry roomier? I am so stuck I cannot make this decision.. =(
Old 01-10-15, 06:36 AM
jltait
Driver School Candidate

Cool

Comparing a fully loaded V6 Camry to a Lexus ES is a topic that's come up a few times on this and other forums. However, for me this is a no brainer. While the platform and powertrains are indeed the same between the two, the Lexus has the edge in sound-deadening insulation, quality of interior finishes, and availability of higher end options. These options can be had on models at a great discount in the preowned market.

My family used to have an '05 ES 330 until it was traded in for a Hybrid Camry for additional fuel savings. But let me tell you, that ES in dark Blue Onyx Pearl, with beige interior, heated and cooled seats, power rear sunshade, Mark Levinson speakers.. fuggedaboutit(!) as they say.

The Camry's looks will age quickly. To me the ES is timeless. I now drive a black on beige '98 ES300 and I marvel at how beautiful she is every day. If you get that ES you're less likely to get the itch to change vehicles in a couple years than with the Camry, in my opinion. Fewer trades will mean more savings for you - fewer times paying purchase tax, DMV fees, etc.

Best of luck in your purchase decision. Welcome to Club Lexus and we hope you stick around for more than this one post!
Old 01-10-15, 06:39 AM
Fritz330
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You're comparing a diamond to a lump of coal.
Old 01-10-15, 06:53 AM
Lexus921
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jltait
Comparing a fully loaded V6 Camry to a Lexus ES is a topic that's come up a few times on this and other forums. However, for me this is a no brainer. While the platform and powertrains are indeed the same between the two, the Lexus has the edge in sound-deadening insulation, quality of interior finishes, and availability of higher end options. These options can be had on models at a great discount in the preowned market.

My family used to have an '05 ES 330 until it was traded in for a Hybrid Camry for additional fuel savings. But let me tell you, that ES in dark Blue Onyx Pearl, with beige interior, heated and cooled seats, power rear sunshade, Mark Levinson speakers.. fuggedaboutit(!) as they say.

The Camry's looks will age quickly. To me the ES is timeless. I now drive a black on beige '98 ES300 and I marvel at how beautiful she is every day. If you get that ES you're less likely to get the itch to change vehicles in a couple years than with the Camry, in my opinion. Fewer trades will mean more savings for you - fewer times paying purchase tax, DMV fees, etc.

Best of luck in your purchase decision. Welcome to Club Lexus and we hope you stick around for more than this one post!
thanks for the info, yeah if I decide to buy the Lexus I will probably stick around. Whenever I Buy a certain car I signed up for the forms of that brand. BTW I didn't even know Lexis added extra insulation into their vehicles that's a very good reason to choose the ES over the camry!
Old 01-10-15, 06:55 AM
Lexus921
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Fritz330
You're comparing a diamond to a lump of coal.
LOL! It's a decent lump of coal with good mpg's.
Old 01-10-15, 07:47 AM
lostape45
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

There's much more than just the sound deadening advantage. The suspension is much more refined, the engines are tuned and resonated to be much more quiet, and basically they ride much better than their Camry counterparts. I suggest you drive both, you will be amazed at the difference between them.
Old 01-10-15, 02:26 PM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

I have a es330 and right now, a new Camry as a loaner.

Compared to the ES, this Camry is junk.
Old 01-10-15, 05:42 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 120 Likes on 90 Posts

Definitely go for the Lexus ES.

Before I bought my Lexus I had a Camry.

Quieter, smoother, more features, more luxury, much better build quality and solid feeling.

Remember, you're going to be spending more time inside the car than outside, so don't let the body style fool you.

I assume you can get a Camry V6 for $6000 (and not just the I4)? Sounds pretty cheap. The 2GR 3.5L engine has more power than the 3MZ 3.3L, and the Gen 6 Camry is longer lending to more interior room.
Old 01-11-15, 10:54 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

If you're on the fence and don't care, lean the direction of which is cheaper on INSURANCE.

Look at some parts that need replacing with itme. Ie. Bearings, A/C compressor, Alternator, belts, and see which is cheaper to run in that sense.

*Of course, if you're really 50/50 on the issue, that'll make up your mind, since money talks*
Old 01-12-15, 04:01 AM
Oro
Pole Position

Received 446 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
If you're on the fence and don't care, lean the direction of which is cheaper on INSURANCE.

Look at some parts that need replacing with itme. Ie. Bearings, A/C compressor, Alternator, belts, and see which is cheaper to run in that sense.

*Of course, if you're really 50/50 on the issue, that'll make up your mind, since money talks*
I think this is not a helpful or effective use of shopping time since both are exactly the same. There are zero parts on the lexus, other than unicorn repair items like seats or random interior leather, that are more expensive. Basic insurance, high-wear items like alternators, belts, shocks, etc. are identical. To the penny.

I did this same math a year ago when replacing an older Lexus GS, and the ES was a no-brainer vs. a Camry or Avalon of the same generation or newer - as already stated, better build quality from the get-go and for fractional pennies on the dollar for one 5+ years used or a bit later when the initial cost differences disappear. I think the '02-'06 is a great platform with a proven motor and lots of knowledge out there to help. There are more "worry" items with the newer V6, IMO, than the mature 1mz-fe. Body wise, the 07 Camry is the XV40 and while a generation newer, doesn't offer much vs. cost. I'd rather have an 06 Lexus (XV30) than on 07 Camry (XV40) for the quality and comforts. The interior of the XV40 on the ES is much uglier than the 02-06, so if that matters to you, factor that in, also. In fact, from a design viewpoint, all the ES models since non-Nav XV30 are so disappointing that I can't justify buying one vs. the outstanding XV30 ES models.

The factory Nav systems are so dated that I would shop hard to find one without it, (total no-go in my used car buyer criteria), and I would question the wisdom of installing an aftermarket one, since your smartphone will outperform it and with less cost and clutter. Wait two years more and it will make it look like a wet turnip factory hard-installed on your dash and will affect re-sale about the same. I would take the mental money budgeted for an aftermarket nav system and instead spend it on a car with better maintenance history and interior/exterior condition. Vastly better investment time, cost, and return-wise in the long term. It may look more "modern" but it also a design disaster and cost/repair suck over time with no gain over a decent last-generation smart phone.

I also looked at newer ES's and Avalons, and found the build quality and materials vastly better on the earlier ES's. I think an ES330 is really a great cost/quality winner right now on the used market and am thinking of another one next year, not to replace the same generation 02 we have but to replace another vehicle.

If you are REALLY concerned about styling, the 00-01 ES300 is really the best of course. But it has draw-backs on age, interior styling, etc.

I was a lot like you in that I drove BMWs and Audi's before (still have an Audi), but the 02+ ES really caught me because of pleasant interior, acceptable handling, fuel efficiency, etc. I also like to work on my cars for fun, and these are so well built and easy to maintain that given the plusses vs. the mimuses (handling, motor, status - for what little that is worth), I won't buy a German car again when these are cheaper, equally satisfying, and better built. I call it "win, win, f'ing win."

So get an 02-06 ES300/330 and never look back.
Old 01-13-15, 06:39 PM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BMW really irritated me with the price of replacement parts. It seemed as if every ancillary engine component was $500. As if that weren't enough, the components were attached to the engine with single use torque to yield alloy bolts that had to be purchased as well. They could at least throw in the bolts with the overpriced ancillary, ugh.
Old 01-13-15, 07:19 PM
acarapella
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I had a 2007 and 2008 camry hybrid. I also had a 2010 le camry I traded for my 2003 es300. The difference in sound deadening, interior material quality, and features makes the ES a better choice. But, the camry is bigger. And if it's a 4cyl, better on gas and cheaper parts-wise.

All things considered, es330 is the way to go