ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Replace keyless remote receiver on '99 ES300?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-14, 01:38 PM
jeanaya
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace keyless remote receiver on '99 ES300?

The keyless remote on our 1999 ES300 has been broken for over two years. First my husband's key fob stopped working, then mine stopped. I have tried:
1. replacing batteries in both fobs (didn't work)
2. buying another keyfob used off ebay and putting new batteries in that one (didn't work)
3. Trying to reprogram the fobs using the technique on this video:
(the door will lock and unlock itself in response but the fobs don't work)

So I bought the "Valiant 2-Channel Remote Control Keyless Door System With 2 Three Button Transmitters" similar to the one here:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/valiant-rem...382y1999g2u0j1
and thought I'd install it. The instructions are here: http://image3.jcwstatics.com/documents/INS01_11394G.pdf and apparently we have a "3 wire negative".

The door lock/unlock wires are supposed to be located either behind the kick panel or behind the radio. However, I opened the kick panel and was completely intimidated by all the stuff in there... was not sure where to start and where to install the unit. Though I'm not a complete stranger to a soldering iron, it seemed a bad idea to just start pulling out or cutting wires.

Another idea I had was to find the original receiver and spray it with a contact cleaner. But again, I'm not sure where the original unit is...

I'd totally appreciate any words of wisdom about how to find the remote receiver or how to begin installing the new unit!
Old 08-12-14, 09:56 AM
jeanaya
Driver School Candidate

Hmm, maybe my first post was too long.

So the short question is, where is the keyless remote receiver located for the 1999 ES300?

Thank you!
Old 08-12-14, 11:48 AM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

Take your time programming the remote you have...... It took me a few times to get it right.
A note about these key FOBs ....... You have to hold the button down for TWO seconds in order for it to open or close the doors, they are not like other cars that open with a quick push of the button.
BTW: I would concentrate on the factory key fob instead of the after market one and DO NOT use contact cleaner on the key fob..... It will do more harm than good.
Old 08-13-14, 08:05 PM
jeanaya
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the suggestions! Unfortunately I don't think it's an issue of programming or not holding the buttons down long enough.

Our key fobs used to work, but stopped working (and I did replace the batteries.) The one I bought off ebay was a true Lexus fob that I thought I could reprogram. So with three nonworking Lexus keys, I thought that maybe the receiver was at fault.
Old 08-14-14, 04:52 AM
Fritz330
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Might be time to bite the bullet and take it to the dealer. They have a gizmo that will tell them exactly what's going on within the ECM.

I recently programmed a remote and it took several tried before I got it right. Almost gave up but then, like magic, it worked.
Old 08-14-14, 11:04 AM
jeanaya
Driver School Candidate

aagh, don't talk to me about the dealer! I just dropped over $1K yesterday at the dealer... went in for a 90K service and they said we needed new brake jobs on front and back, etc.

The short and long of it is that I already have an aftermarket keyless entry system anyway. I looked more and it seems that the lock/unlock wires may be in the " Factory Anti-theft Module Behind Dash Under Radio", not the kick panel, so if I could find a diagram or instructions to open up the car to that point, maybe I can figure it out.

Once the module is laid bare, I guess I should find whatever dark blue/white wires and test it with the voltmeter while turning the key in the auto passenger door lock.

So, where can I find out how to get to the anti-theft module? I could just start removing the radio and unscrewing panels in the vicinity, but it might save a lot of time if anyone has any pointers. Thanks to everyone who has weighed in so far!
Old 08-14-14, 12:33 PM
Alexbenz
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

i'm in the same boat execpt mine was working fine until i blew a fuse in the trunk and that's when it started acting up...it would work randomly and now the remote doesn't work at all..even reprogramming it doesn't do anything anymore....i really don't want to take it to the dealer and get screwed!
Old 08-23-14, 09:19 AM
Alexbenz
Advanced

any updates?
Old 08-26-16, 02:32 PM
Alexbenz
Advanced

updates?????
Old 08-28-16, 06:37 AM
tomf
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jeanaya
The keyless remote on our 1999 ES300 has been broken for over two years. First my husband's key fob stopped working, then mine stopped. I have tried:
1. replacing batteries in both fobs (didn't work)
2. buying another keyfob used off ebay and putting new batteries in that one (didn't work)
3. Trying to reprogram the fobs using the technique on this video: Program remote on ES300 partial video.AVI - YouTube (the door will lock and unlock itself in response but the fobs don't work)

So I bought the "Valiant 2-Channel Remote Control Keyless Door System With 2 Three Button Transmitters" similar to the one here:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/valiant-rem...382y1999g2u0j1
and thought I'd install it. The instructions are here: http://image3.jcwstatics.com/documents/INS01_11394G.pdf and apparently we have a "3 wire negative".

The door lock/unlock wires are supposed to be located either behind the kick panel or behind the radio. However, I opened the kick panel and was completely intimidated by all the stuff in there... was not sure where to start and where to install the unit. Though I'm not a complete stranger to a soldering iron, it seemed a bad idea to just start pulling out or cutting wires.

Another idea I had was to find the original receiver and spray it with a contact cleaner. But again, I'm not sure where the original unit is...

I'd totally appreciate any words of wisdom about how to find the remote receiver or how to begin installing the new unit!
Are you aware the video only shows part of the steps? You need to follow the directions in the video's description for the remaining steps. Here are all the steps listed in the video's description. Note the description indicates where the video ends.

Sit in the driver's seat and LOCK all doors

(Using the manual lock switch) Unlock and open the driver's door.

Using the MANUAL lock switch, on the driver's door, (Lock and) unlock the door 5 times

Close the door.

Open the door.

MANUALLY lock and unlock the driver's door 5 times. If this sequence fails to work you can try the power switch.

Insert the key into the ignition and turn it to the 'ON' position.

Turn the key to OFF and remove key.

The drivers door will now lock and unlock itselt one time.

******* (Video ends at this point) ***********

Press and hold the 'LOCK' button on the key fob for at least 1 second.

Close the drivers door.

Open the drivers door.

Press and hold the 'LOCK' button on the key fob for at least one second.

Close the drivers door.

Press and hold the 'LOCK' button on the key fob. The door will lock.

Press and hold the 'LOCK' button on the key fob. The door will UNlock.
Old 08-29-16, 05:30 PM
Alexbenz
Advanced

I tried those steps and it worked for half the day and the fob stopped working again. What can it be that I lose the signal ?
Old 09-05-16, 03:25 AM
Fritz330
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like it's not the fob.