ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

tranny problems on my 01 es....I THINK?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-12, 08:55 AM
JRQ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny problems on my 01 es....I THINK?!

i wish my first post was under other circumstances however its not andddd im in need of some advice regarding my o'L girl. 5 months ago i purchased the car from my friend. the transmission F'D up on him so he decided to just get a new car. he offered her to me for free, all i needed to do if fix the tranny and she would be good to go. so that’s what i did and been driving her ever since.

since I had invested in fixing the transmission might as well fix a couple things here and there and after a week at the Lexus stealership last month, 2g's down the drain she was looking great. That is Until about 2 weeks ago when she started shutting of on me when put in drive or reverse. I would have to go as far as putting it in neutral when at a light so the car would not shut off!!!! I did some research and discovered that it could be the torque converter that is causing the sporadic hiccuping and eventual shut off while in drive or reverse. And just yesterday when merging on to the interstate I gave it some gas and the rpm's would go up and down to the point it felt like it would just shut off.

I dont understand why its doing this or why the dealership didnt find something wrong with it.....i got a full diagnosis to top it off. Could it be the tranny or could it be an electrical problem or even an engine problem? I don’t want to get another diagnosis cause it obviously didn’t help me with this plus my check engine is not on. I have a 1 year warranty on transmission so if I do have to take it back would a rebuilt engine include a new torque converter? I paid around $1900 for rebuild of the same transmission.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated
Old 11-02-12, 10:17 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus!

What you are experiencing now doesn't sound like a transmission problem to me.

It sounds like a dirty IACV. What are the RPM's before it stalls? Can you keep it running by giving it some gas?
Old 11-02-12, 10:49 AM
JRQ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks bud. yeah i can accelerate perfectly when in neutral or park. engine seems to run like a cream puff but its when I come to a stop while on D4. the idle speeds are normal when car is warmed up though....they do start to fall when at a stop. i can keep it running perfectly its when it idles for to long :/
Old 11-03-12, 08:21 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Regarding the Idle Air Control Valve, I did have similar issues when I purchased my car, but it never caused my engine to stall - maybe it wasn't dirty enough. Either way, it's an easy fix, so it's worth a try.

Open your air intake, down to the throttle bodies. You will need to spray some Carb Cleaner into the bottom hole on one of the TB's. That's where the IACV is located, and it gets clogged with carbon deposits over time.

I personally had idling issues, the car would flash the check engine light. And it also sounded like it wasn't firing on all cylinders - very nerve wrecking. It all went away after cleaning.

Also get a can of special Mass Air Flow (MAF) Cleaner and clean your sensor. It's responsible for your idle and fuel economy.