ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

DIY- 2002 ES300 Programming Keyless Entry & Immobilizer

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-13, 06:02 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by andybisnut
Thanks for putting this together hypervish. I may try this soon.
You're welcome!
Old 03-14-13, 10:22 PM
ttomasic
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just purchased a used 2002 LS430 and needed to add 2 additional master keys, one with keyless entry and one without. I purchased the 2 keys from Sewell Lexus online with great satisfaction (parts #89070-50660 and 89785-60180). I now have 4 keys, 2 masters with keyless entry, 1 regular master, and 1 valet key. Thanks to all the prior posts which helped guide the programming of my new keys. It took some additional trial and error on both sets of instructions, but I eventually got the pattern figured out for me. Hope my additional notes help you!

Keyless Entry Programming. Lock. Unlock. Trunk. (TTT notes)
1. Sit inside the car. Close the driver’s door. All other doors closed also.
2. Lock the doors with the lock button.
3. Start the car with the original working master key. Wait a few seconds. Turn off the car and remove the original working master key.
4. Open the driver’s door by pulling on the handle. Do not unlock with the button or manually unlock. Just pull the handle and Open the door. Driver’s door is now Open.
5. Within 5 seconds, Insert and Remove the original working master key from the ignition switch TWICE. (In Out In Out).
6. Within several seconds, Close and Open the driver’s door TWICE. (Close Open Close Open).
7. Insert and Remove the original working master key from the ignition switch. (In Out).
8. Close the driver’s door. (Close).
9. Within several seconds, Open and Close the driver’s door TWICE, adding one final Open. (Open Close Open Close Open).
10. Insert original working master key into the ignition switch.
11. Close the driver’s door. (Close).
12. Switch ignition ON then OFF ONE TIME only - this will put the car in ADD mode.
13. Remove the original working master key from the ignition.
14. System should now Lock and Unlock vehicle one time automatically.
15. Within several seconds, on the new key being programmed, press and hold UNLOCK button followed immediately with LOCK button so that you are holding down both buttons at the same time. Hold them for a few seconds. Release the buttons. (The original instructions indicate to depress the buttons simultaneously, which did not seem to work for me after several tries, so I varied how to push the buttons.)
16. Within 3 seconds, press and release UNLOCK button.
17. System should now Lock and Unlock the car once to confirm registration of the new key. (or twice to indicate registration has failed per the original post)
18. Exit programming mode by opening driver’s door.
19. Test Keyless Entry functions on the new key. Lock. Unlock. Trunk.
These steps FINALLY worked for me!!! Good luck!!! TTT

Security Immobilizer Programming. Start Engine. (TTT notes)
1. Have all windows up and doors shut.
2. Stand outside the vehicle.
3. From outside, Lock the doors with the original working master key by pressing LOCK button.
4. From outside, Unlock the driver’s door with the original working master key by pressing UNLOCK once.
5. Enter the vehicle, and close the driver’s door. Press the lock button (by the window switches) once to lock the doors.
6. Start the car for about 5 seconds, then turn the car off, and remove the original working master key.
7. Insert the original working master key back into the ignition.
8. Within 35 seconds, do the following (Make these next moves very precise and without any variation in your motions, which seemed to help):
a) Turn the key to the ACC position, being careful not to turn too far. (key in ACC position)
b) Turn the key from ACC to ON position five times ending in the ACC position. (ON ACC, ON ACC, ON ACC, ON ACC, ON ACC); do this somewhat quickly in about 1 second cycles for each ON ACC motion.
c) Open and Close the driver's door SIX times. (Open Close Open Close Open Close Open Close Open Close Open Close). Do not unlock the door with the button – just pull the handle and the door will unlock during your first Open.
d) Remove the original master key
9. Within 10 seconds insert New Key into the ignition, and turn to "ON".
10. Leave the New Key inserted until the red security light stops flashing (mine took about 60 seconds; other posts say up to 90 – 120 seconds).
11. After the flashing stops, remove New Key from ignition.
12. Depress the brake pedal forcefully ONCE to exit the programming mode.
13. Wait 15 seconds to allow the computer to reset.
14. Test New Key by inserting into ignition. The red security light should go off. Attempt to start the vehicle.
These steps FINALLY worked for me!!! Good luck!!! TTT
Old 07-02-13, 02:46 PM
Druvius
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PFB
Thanks Hypervish andLocksmithy for your replies. I tried the procedure that Locksmithy suggested, and it turns out that what I thought was a non-remote master key is indeed a Valet key.

So now I'll need to order a spare remote master key and program it based on the only master key that I do have. This just in case I loose my only master key.

I'll try Sewell, but not sure if they deliver to Canada based on a Canadian VIN number.
So can anyone explain to me the difference between a "valet key" and a "non-remote master key"?

I only have one key for my car and it obv starts the car, but doesnt have keyless entry. I'd like to get a remote (keyless entry) key and program it myself. It sounds like this might be what you went through, PFB?
Old 07-02-13, 03:10 PM
Druvius
Driver School Candidate

Acutally check that. I read a thread on distinguishing a "valet key" from a "non-remote master". Now assuming I have the latter, can I use it to program a remote master (and have the keyless entry function)?
Old 07-08-13, 06:16 AM
ttomasic
Driver School Candidate

Yes, you should be able to do just that. Programming the master key to work on the car is one step. If that key has the remote entry functions (locks and trunk), then that is a seperate step in programming. When i programmed my keys (see my posts), i did the remote functions first, and then later came back and programmed 2 masters - one with remote buttoms and the other without.
Old 07-08-13, 07:33 AM
Druvius
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ttomasic
Yes, you should be able to do just that. Programming the master key to work on the car is one step. If that key has the remote entry functions (locks and trunk), then that is a seperate step in programming. When i programmed my keys (see my posts), i did the remote functions first, and then later came back and programmed 2 masters - one with remote buttoms and the other without.
Hey there,

Actually now I've determined that I have a valet key... I'm screwed right? Have to go to the dealership for an ECU reprogramming and purchase dealer issued keys. Someone please let me know if there is another way.
Old 07-08-13, 01:01 PM
Druvius
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Druvius
Hey there,

Actually now I've determined that I have a valet key... I'm screwed right? Have to go to the dealership for an ECU reprogramming and purchase dealer issued keys. Someone please let me know if there is another way.
Btw, for those interested, the dealership in NJ (Lexus of Englewood) said $130 to reprogram the ECU and $250 for each remote master key... so $380 for one key with reprogramming, $630 for two, etc...

I suppose I could just get one remote master then buy another one online and program it as described above.. but I'll still need to get it cut..
Old 11-16-15, 06:29 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts
Default DIY Key Immobilzer Programming 3ES and 4ES

For those who have a 4th gen ES330 (2004+) you will most likely need techstream to program a new key.

I bought a key from eBay and programmed the immobilizer myself using techstream. The remote doesn't require techstream. I paid $20 at my dealership to cut it.

For those with a 3rd gen ES300 or 2nd gen GS300, here's the procedure for key programming, techstream is not required:

The quality of these eBay key's aren't that great. The transmitter has an extremely short range (pretty much 5 foot away from the car, and its intermittent). My brother had better luck with his GS300's key.