ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

speedometer fix options

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-12, 09:08 PM
mirka
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speedometer fix options

Ok I've been reading up on this common problem. But haven't found a clear answer
My speedometer stopped moving.

I read that some say that this problem is fixed by replacing the speed sensor near the transmission. Has anyone experienced that it still didn't work even after replacing the speed sensor?
and also.....
Has anyone tried replacing the instrument cluster unit itself and found that you didn't need to replace the speed sensor?
or is it always the speed sensor?

for my car right now....the rpm needle works, and all other needles work...

any input is much appreciated!
Old 08-27-12, 11:56 AM
Kinzerhaus
Driver School Candidate

I would try driving the car and getting up to speed then giving the dash a quick slap on the top right above the speedo. You don't have to hit it real hard just give it a little jolt. One wack should do it you don't need to beat it like a drum. If it comes to life you may have the issue where the oil on the needle has become sticky and it will need to be re-oiled. I think I have seen some posts about this. If it doesn't come to life I would start thinking speed sensor.
My Tach and Speedo have both started sticking not always at the same time. Sometimes it is the Tach sometimes just the Speedo.
Old 08-27-12, 03:18 PM
MCL23
Driver School Candidate

I was having 2 problems when I switched out my vehicle speed sensor (VSS). The first problem was that my transmission would occasionally not shift out of 1st gear when starting from a stop and sometimes not even shift into 1st gear at all. The second problem was that my speedometer needle would occasionally not work either. Ever since replacing the VSS my transmission issue has been fixed but my speedometer still occasionally does not work. So from my experience replacing the VSS did not solve the speedometer problem but it did fix my more important transmission issue.
Old 08-29-12, 12:53 AM
mirka
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kinzerhaus
I would try driving the car and getting up to speed then giving the dash a quick slap on the top right above the speedo. You don't have to hit it real hard just give it a little jolt. One wack should do it you don't need to beat it like a drum. If it comes to life you may have the issue where the oil on the needle has become sticky and it will need to be re-oiled. I think I have seen some posts about this. If it doesn't come to life I would start thinking speed sensor.
My Tach and Speedo have both started sticking not always at the same time. Sometimes it is the Tach sometimes just the Speedo.
this used to work, but after a while it died, the lights died too. where do i apply the oil ?

recently i took out my cluster cover and stuck bright paper on it so i could see it at night, i touched the needle a few times, and now it works fine, it's not very sensitive, but it moves slowly