ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2003 Lexus ES300 aftermarket stereo question

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-11, 08:53 AM
metalninja
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Lexus ES300 aftermarket stereo question

This is the factory radio system setup in an 02-04 ES300:

I've been wanting to replace the radio with a newer one I can buy from Cartoys, one that comes with an auxiliary input so I can put in an iPod to play directly through the stereo. Currently I use a cheap cassette adapter and it has its shortcomings sometimes.

My question it, I can't tell how I (or they) would replace the radio. The top screen, I'm assuming, can be taken out and that's where the new radio would go. But the new radio has a volume control **** already built into it:

So what happens to the separate Volume Control and Radio Tuning ***** that are in the original factory radio? They're not a part of the radio that can be taken out. So do they just sit there all useless or can they be put to use (I kinda like having two separate ***** for volume and radio tuning, rather than having one that does both)
Old 06-14-11, 11:13 AM
KLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What you will probably need to do is get a bezel for a car that has navigation, then you can install a double-DIN unit. Thread here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...o-install.html
Old 03-09-14, 05:22 PM
JReznicsek
Driver School Candidate

Consider buying an aftermarket unit from GROM. It will connect directly to the back of your factory unit, and if you order the extras that are available, it can offer you Bluetooth, IPod/phone, 3.5m headphone, and even USB input, all for about $200.
Old 03-09-14, 05:24 PM
JReznicsek
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JReznicsek
Consider buying an aftermarket unit from GROM. It will connect directly to the back of your factory unit, and if you order the extras that are available, it can offer you Bluetooth, IPod/phone, 3.5m headphone, and even USB input, all for about $200.
Also, if you do replace te factory stereo head unit, look up the aftermarket faceplates that perfectly match the original space, and replace everything located on the face with space for your new deck configuration. They look great and are much cleaner.
Old 03-10-14, 11:56 AM
rlx101
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

ummm. lol its all 1 unit. the whole thing is 1 big *** radio with ***** and everything. It all goes out, leaving big whole behind.

you need to buy: 1. new face plate that accepts single din or double din radio 2. if you go double din route - you need to buy double din kit in addition to #1.

the DIY is VERY easy. There are write ups of forums. I suggest getting touch screen navi they are cheap these days, check feeBay.

Originally Posted by metalninja
This is the factory radio system setup in an 02-04 ES300:

I've been wanting to replace the radio with a newer one I can buy from Cartoys, one that comes with an auxiliary input so I can put in an iPod to play directly through the stereo. Currently I use a cheap cassette adapter and it has its shortcomings sometimes.

My question it, I can't tell how I (or they) would replace the radio. The top screen, I'm assuming, can be taken out and that's where the new radio would go. But the new radio has a volume control **** already built into it:

So what happens to the separate Volume Control and Radio Tuning ***** that are in the original factory radio? They're not a part of the radio that can be taken out. So do they just sit there all useless or can they be put to use (I kinda like having two separate ***** for volume and radio tuning, rather than having one that does both)
Old 03-10-14, 10:13 PM
Wahlnutz
Driver School Candidate

If you take a look at this dash kit for your car you can see which part would need to be taken out. When they make dash kits for cars they do take these things into consideration. This is the reason every dash kit is made for its specific car. Also may I recommend sonicelectronix for your new radio they offer great prices and include the dash kit and wiring harness for free with every radio purchase. They also have a database about which radios will fit your car. Hope this helps.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metra-99-815...-/151247781351