ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Need help with throttle cable slack - tighten to what spec.? 99 ES300 - 3ES

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-10, 10:35 AM
decypher
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need help with throttle cable slack - tighten to what spec.? 99 ES300 - 3ES

Do I just tighten the 2 nuts on the cable? How tight should it be to spec. because I can grab a good 1-1/2" - 2" on that sucker with about 1/2" - 1" play up and and down.

*Sorry about the one rotated shot but here are reference pics
Attached Thumbnails Need help with throttle cable slack - tighten to what spec.? 99 ES300 - 3ES-cable_1.jpg   Need help with throttle cable slack - tighten to what spec.? 99 ES300 - 3ES-cable_2.jpg   Need help with throttle cable slack - tighten to what spec.? 99 ES300 - 3ES-cable_3.jpg  

Last edited by decypher; 09-09-10 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Reference Pictures
Old 09-09-10, 05:58 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Move both of those bolts as far to the left as possible (toward the passenger's side of the vehicle). That will give you a really good throttle response. I like no slack in that line, because sometimes you will hit the accelerator and you won't go.

Note: edited with correct picture below.
Attached Thumbnails Need help with throttle cable slack - tighten to what spec.? 99 ES300 - 3ES-accel_cord.jpg  

Last edited by Lexmex; 09-09-10 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-09-10, 06:27 PM
Ariyanna
Lead Lap

You have the arrows pointing in the wrong direction
Old 09-09-10, 07:00 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Ariyanna
You have the arrows pointing in the wrong direction
I'll edit it, it was tough to see in that angle, let me get another photo to do the job.
Old 09-09-10, 07:08 PM
decypher
Driver

Cool Fixed

Hahah wow you read my mind LEXMEX... It might take some time to utilize the search feature to find the answer I need but I actually found your DIY thread in the RX forum earlier today... Worked like a charm. Thanks a lot bud I really appreciate it!! Even if I find the answer to my own question I always try to share my experience with the community to pass the knowledge on...

Solution: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...se-advise.html

----------
Good looking out LEXMEX and salimshah!

1. My ES' response feels like a 'brand new' 11 year old car! Nah but seriously my engine / transmission / powertrain doesn't have the awkward hesitation between 2nd and/or 3rd gear after decelerating without stopping then proceeding to accelerate while driving on the highway.

2. Acceleration pedal is MUCH more responsive.

3. Up and down RPM syndrome is gone (This started to occur yesterday)

4. No more jump into DRIVE or REVERSE after shifting from PARK.

5. Purrs smoothly at idle

*FYI if anyone has way too much slack on your acceleration cable (I personally had 1-1/2" - 2" play up and down), IMO I highly recommend this adjustment. I almost thought my tranny was slipping or starting to go bad.

Thanks fellas and thank you Ariyanna for responding.

Last edited by decypher; 09-09-10 at 07:23 PM.
Old 09-10-10, 08:56 AM
Ariyanna
Lead Lap

Did you turn your nut all the way till there was no more thread left or did u leave a little?? I just did mine and will take it for spin and let u know how it feels. Also LEXMEX is there any compromise by doing this?

Last edited by Ariyanna; 09-10-10 at 08:59 AM.
Old 09-10-10, 02:49 PM
Bedore
Driver School Candidate

Can this also be done on a 97 ES300? I looked at mine today and have two cables. One is the accelerator cable, and the other is the throttle cable (as the manual calls them, I assume one to be a pedal cable and the other to be the trans cable??).
Old 09-10-10, 04:48 PM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bedore
Can this also be done on a 97 ES300? I looked at mine today and have two cables. One is the accelerator cable, and the other is the throttle cable (as the manual calls them, I assume one to be a pedal cable and the other to be the trans cable??).
Yes, this will work for the 3rd Gen ES'. The second cable is also called a kick down cable, for the transmission. This is the cable that goes downward. The throttle cable is on the top and the kick down cable is attached on the bottom. You also want this cable to be taught, not tight, just to the point of very little play. Heres a good reference link. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...-shifting.html

Good luck bro.
Old 09-10-10, 08:53 PM
Bedore
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by angmedic91
Yes, this will work for the 3rd Gen ES'. The second cable is also called a kick down cable, for the transmission. This is the cable that goes downward. The throttle cable is on the top and the kick down cable is attached on the bottom. You also want this cable to be taught, not tight, just to the point of very little play. Heres a good reference link. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...-shifting.html

Good luck bro.
Thanks brah, go with christ.

ETA: After reading the thread, do I just adjust the throttle cable, kickdown cable, or adjust both?

Last edited by Bedore; 09-10-10 at 09:15 PM.
Old 09-11-10, 02:15 PM
decypher
Driver

Did you turn your nut all the way till there was no more thread left or did u leave a little?? I just did mine and will take it for spin and let u know how it feels. Also LEXMEX is there any compromise by doing this?
I left roughly 1/8" - 3/16" of thread between the black rubber cover and the 'passenger side' nut. It started to get a little hard to turn the nut closer to the rubber piece so I backed it off a little and hit the threads with a soft bristle wire brush. Just make sure the hollow bolt is securely fastened in it's 'housing' with those 2 'lock nuts' tightened after you make the adjustments. Also make sure the accelerator cable is not to tight causing the throttle to engage before your foot is even on the pedal. You don't want the car to take off on it's own when you shift out of park. (you would see the RPMs race in Park)

Just in case-- make sure you keep two 12mm wrenches with you in the car in case you need to make adjustments over the next couple days and make sure the bolts stay tight so the cable does not come unsituated... Don't over torque the nuts just tighten them as they were in the beginning and you'll be fine. Good luck!

FYI-- my accelerator cable had so much slack on it that it was leaving an imprint of the cable on the heat shield under the hood... my suspicion is that this is was what caused the RPM spikes when lifting my foot off the accelerator pedal while driving on the highway.

Last edited by decypher; 09-11-10 at 02:25 PM. Reason: acceleration, cable, rpm, throttle, adjustment
Old 09-11-10, 04:28 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Yes, all the way, have done this for several years (started this in Mexico). Only thing is you have to get use to the 'quick kick' of the throttle response. Keep in mind, this was the last generation of ES to get this cable, everything after that was electronic, so at least here you can play a bit.
Old 09-11-10, 05:02 PM
Ariyanna
Lead Lap

yeah I did it on my 2000 ES and man what a difference, the car is so more responsive now when I press the gas pedal and the tranny has quicker shifting patterns than before which I like.
Old 09-11-10, 08:25 PM
decypher
Driver

yeah I did it on my 2000 ES and man what a difference, the car is so more responsive now when I press the gas pedal and the tranny has quicker shifting patterns than before which I like.
Just a heads up but since I tightened mine I took some advice that I read in one of the posts I dug up-- After the engine warms up and I'm ready to drive I keep the RPMs under 3K while the gears shift for approx. 4 minutes of driving to let the tranny warm up. After I did the cable adjustment I have definitely noticed better shifting especially from 1st to 2nd gear. Good luck!
Old 04-27-11, 06:57 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I adjusted the cable not from there, but from the other end that is underneath the black cover, is that ok?
Old 06-04-11, 02:47 PM
decypher
Driver

Gray_es300 I would have to say that's fine especially if you're adjustment is maxed out on the throttle body side

Quick Reply: Need help with throttle cable slack - tighten to what spec.? 99 ES300 - 3ES