ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Something happened to my suspension last night. Clunks like crazy!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-10, 07:10 AM
JTS06Z06
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something happened to my suspension last night. Clunks like crazy!!

I left work last night around 9:45PM and it was the coolest its been outside so far this entire summer. The car said it was 59 degrees. Well right after turning out of work I went over a normal bump and by no means a huge pothole just your average bump in the road and the car made a sort of like popping sound at the front right side. After that the front right suspension sounded very loose and clunky. So bad that I was actually somewhat concerned about actually driving the car. The car still drove normally despite the clunking. Handling, braking, steering were all normal so I continued on as I just wanted to get home.
When I got home I did a quick visual inspection and everything looks to be in place as it should. The strut tower under the hood was fine, all bushings, and joints appear normal when glancing at them from under the car. I will jack the car up today and take the wheel off to look a little better.

Does anyone have any clue what couuld have happened? The car is a 2000 ES300 Platinum 104,000 miles.

Thanks for any help.

James
Old 09-04-10, 07:27 AM
MikeLex
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's most likely the front right strut mount. My car used to do it during the first half hour driving in the morning. I replaced it with a new genuine Toyota strut mount and problem solved.There's a TSB addressing this issue.
Old 09-04-10, 07:33 AM
Maxx941
Lexus Test Driver

Probably the strut mounts. Its common for the ES during colder weather to hear that creaking sound going over bumps. Been there. Nothing to really worry just annoying some times. Many of us here know exactly what your talking about.
Old 09-04-10, 10:35 AM
JTS06Z06
Pole Position

Ok thanks for the quick replies guys. Now this strut mount is it what the spring rests on or is it at the top of the spring? Is just that part replaceable or do I need to replace the entire strut/shock assembly to get the new mounts?
As you mentioned it was worse when I just started driving the car and it seemed to get a little better as I drove longer. Kinda weird considering I dont think the suspension "warms" up like the engine does lol.
Anyway, part numbers and more information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
James
Old 09-04-10, 12:23 PM
JTS06Z06
Pole Position

I drove to work today and the noise was for the most part gone assuming because the warmer temps outside. So weird how the outside temperature would effect a strut mount so much to the point where it sounds normal in mild temps, and completely jacked up only a few degrees cooler...weird.
Cant wait for the drive home tonight around 9:30 when its supposed to be even cooler than last night. Going to sound like im driving a 1950 Ford pickup.

James
Old 09-04-10, 01:50 PM
kaldES98
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's the rubber that gets all stiff in cold weather I'm assuming. Mine were like that too before I switched to coilovers. Used it as an excuse for needing coilovers even though it was far from it lol.
Old 09-04-10, 02:47 PM
MikeLex
Lead Lap

That's the reason why Toyota changed the rubber shape in the support (strut mount). It is at the top of the spring, bolted to the wheel well. Part #s are
48603-33021 (RH), 48609-33121 (LH). $81.00 each at the dealer (labor not included). Cheaper aftermarket strut mounts are of course available but I've never used them.
Old 09-04-10, 03:37 PM
JTS06Z06
Pole Position

^^^ Ok thanks very much for that. One last question after doing some research there appears to be bearings in there as well. Is that included in the $81.00 price each from the dealership? If not do you guys recommend those get replaced as well? Never heard of bearings in a strut assembly before.

Lastly, is it ok to replace just the side that seems to be bad or is it recommended to replace both sides at the same time? I would obviously prefer both to be new but at the same time dont want to drop too much money into this project.

Thanks,
James
Old 09-04-10, 09:32 PM
yeskay
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

recommend to replace the both the strut mounts and the alignment done once for all. i would also suggest replacing the strut bumper (5$ part) as well. if you do a search it is a common problem with this yr model
Old 09-05-10, 07:55 AM
JTS06Z06
Pole Position

Originally Posted by yeskay
recommend to replace the both the strut mounts and the alignment done once for all. i would also suggest replacing the strut bumper (5$ part) as well. if you do a search it is a common problem with this yr model
Humm strut bumper...I was looking at the entire strut assembly diagram and not sure which part that is. I see the strut bump stop but see no reason to replace that as I dont ever recall bottoming out my stock suspension.
Old 09-05-10, 08:25 AM
MikeLex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JTS06Z06
^^^ Ok thanks very much for that. One last question after doing some research there appears to be bearings in there as well. Is that included in the $81.00 price each from the dealership? If not do you guys recommend those get replaced as well? Never heard of bearings in a strut assembly before.

Lastly, is it ok to replace just the side that seems to be bad or is it recommended to replace both sides at the same time? I would obviously prefer both to be new but at the same time dont want to drop too much money into this project.
The bearing is necessary in this type of suspension. How else are you going to rotate the strut while steering? It is a separate part ($35.00).
As yeskay^ pointed out, ideally you should replace the both sides. However, if it's too much for you now, do the RH side, get the alignment to specs, sit back and relax (at least for a while... )
Old 09-05-10, 09:48 AM
JTS06Z06
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MikeLex
The bearing is necessary in this type of suspension. How else are you going to rotate the strut while steering? It is a separate part ($35.00).
As yeskay^ pointed out, ideally you should replace the both sides. However, if it's too much for you now, do the RH side, get the alignment to specs, sit back and relax (at least for a while... )
Yeah I assumed the bearing was because the entire assembly moves along with steering. Still doesnt change the fact that I have never seen a suspension setup where the strut assembly rotates as well. Just different thats all. I assumed it was best to do both sides at the same time and no its not too much money so I will do it right.

Still wondering what this strut bumper is that yeskay mentioned.

Thanks again,
James
Old 09-05-10, 11:31 AM
MikeLex
Lead Lap

Still wondering what this strut bumper is that yeskay mentioned.
Here are the strut boot and the strut bumper:
Attached Thumbnails Something happened to my suspension last night. Clunks like crazy!!-kysb101.jpg  
Old 09-05-10, 01:11 PM
yeskay
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

recommend oem strut bumper (yellow color)