Which do I have, the U140E or the A541E transmission? - Page 2 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Which do I have, the U140E or the A541E transmission?

Old 11-04-11, 11:25 PM   #16
DRACO A5OG
Lead Lap

Smooth,

Camry or Lexus A541E.

I recently replaced my 96 with a Camry 94 trans, runs like a dream, while I was there I replaced the torque convertor. Power is amazing, almost like new.

Picked up the trans under 90 day warranty for $250 and $150 for the TC from Auto Zone.

Make sure you get a new seals, 3 in total, just go to Toyota and ask for the TC seal, side seals for the axels CV joint gaskets for a 94, 95 or 96 Camry, It also takes Castrol Dextron 4 for Toyota, Honda ... it is on the label. Much cheaper at Autozone.

If you need the shop manual, pm me your email address.

Jim
DRACO A5OG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-11, 10:51 AM   #17
dboy1211
Driver School Candidate

Default I would NOT order one online.

2000 Lexus ES300 , I had the same problem, You can tell by counting the bolts in the pan underneath the trans. some have 17 bolts some have 18. It was about 2 years ago so I don't remember which was which. You probably have the expensive one.

I really don't recommend ordering one online, I had a very bad experience. It's like a trap.
I ordered the expensive transmission (whioch I thought I was getting a good deal on one). They ended up shipping me the cheap one and calling it the expensive one. Not to mention it looked like it had been sittin in the rain for years, VERY rusty. Once I had paid a mechanic to take my old trans out is when we realized that they are not at all the same. When I figured out that they sent the wrong one. They said they would refund my money BUT I had to pay for the shipping to ship it back to them. Which was about $500! I said no way that is your problem not mine. They would not budge or return calls when I was attempting to speak to a supervisor. (This happened with Basic Car Parts). When I finally spoke to a supervisor (weeks later) they said they record the phone orders (which would prove that I ordered the correct trans) then they conveniently could not find the recording of my order.
I found out that they don't even have transmissions or car parts, they are only a broker who then had some other company send some trans through some other shipping company(that wanted to charge me another $100 when they delivered because they said they don't deliver to residential, which Basic Car Parts never mentioned anything about).
I had to look up the company thru the Sec of State of the state they were in and find the CEO's address and personally write him a letter to get anywhere on this. He ended up refunding SOME of the purchase price and said I can go sell the trans that I had. So I went and sold the trans to a junkyard who figured out that the trans was from a Toyots Sienna minivan.

Really, take from my experience, find one local, so you can at least deal with them and you know where to find them. 200 pound transmissions are not something that should be ordered online.
dboy1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-11, 09:16 PM   #18
SmoothV63
Driver School Candidate

Talking transmission

DRACO.

Say what.! ! Autozone....! Awesome thank you so much... i will get with autozone asap. And yes the manual would be great help..thank you
SmoothV63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-11, 11:04 PM   #19
DRACO A5OG
Lead Lap

No problem Smooth, but I need your email address. PM me because this is a public forum

+1, buy local so you can check the condition before you buy, If it has been sitting, exposed don't walk but run away. Most Toyota salvage yards have them and will warranty them for at least 3-6 months. Don't use the existing connectors, take them off your trans before taking back for the core exchange if applicable. Connectors being out in the elements may be fouled. While you are in there might as well change out the filler o-ring, tighten the pan bolts to 69 inch/ft torque. If you do use the TC on the replacement, I would swap after about a 1000 miles so you will have 90% fresh fluid. If you swap the TC then you will be good to go.

Update: after 1000 miles, she is running strong, quiet as a Lexus should be and with the accelerator full throttle adjustment the gas has an immediate response, very nice

Last edited by DRACO A5OG; 11-07-11 at 11:07 PM.
DRACO A5OG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-14, 10:36 PM   #20
joshbfoo
Driver School Candidate

Default Need help

DRACO, I'm about to try findind and replacing my shift solenoid because of an OBD code 0773. If you have some service manual, or tips for this, I would be glad to send you my first born. I've had so many hurdles because of these strict emissions in WI, my e mail is [email protected] Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRACO A5OG View Post
Smooth,

Camry or Lexus A541E.

I recently replaced my 96 with a Camry 94 trans, runs like a dream, while I was there I replaced the torque convertor. Power is amazing, almost like new.

Picked up the trans under 90 day warranty for $250 and $150 for the TC from Auto Zone.

Make sure you get a new seals, 3 in total, just go to Toyota and ask for the TC seal, side seals for the axels CV joint gaskets for a 94, 95 or 96 Camry, It also takes Castrol Dextron 4 for Toyota, Honda ... it is on the label. Much cheaper at Autozone.

If you need the shop manual, pm me your email address.

Jim
joshbfoo is offline   Reply With Quote