ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Having problems with head unit in a 97 es300

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-10, 05:05 PM
dubedlexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having problems with head unit in a 97 es300

So here is the story I haven't drove the car in a couple months and I had to get a new battery for it. So on sunday my buddy came over to buy my old flip out dvd head unit we try to turn it on doesn't work for some reason it did when I last drove the car (and it works in his car so thats not the problem) than we take it out and try the factory unit and that dosen't work, so we check the fuses and they are good. So than we check and see if the wire harress has power and it does. I just had back surgery(that why the car has been sitting) and I'm on meds so maybe I'm over looking some here that I would't if I was not on the meds. lol So can someone help me out? Thanks
Old 03-30-10, 07:22 PM
dcapo
Driver

the antenna plugged in? ground wire stable? are u sure its not fuses, right amp size, where is the amp located btw, im going trying to install my aftermarket radio but cant find the amp yet, harness hooked up and everything but the speaker wires
Old 03-31-10, 12:36 PM
dubedlexus
Rookie

Originally Posted by dcapo
the antenna plugged in? ground wire stable? are u sure its not fuses, right amp size, where is the amp located btw, im going trying to install my aftermarket radio but cant find the amp yet, harness hooked up and everything but the speaker wires
I don't think the antenna will help( I did have it pluged in) cuz its not turning on at all. I checked all the fuses but got to check the relays and the ground agian , but it still getting power to the wire harness. I don't know where the stock amp is I think behind the glove box or in the trunk. I have a 4 ch running the doors and a mono block running the subs but it should still turn on the deck without the amp hooked up it just wont play music. I have no clue whats wrong. I can't do the work meself because of my back so, I have a friend that is helping me but he is the not that good with audio stuff only engine and Suspension stuff. I wouldn't use the factory amp or speakers but you need some money and time for that cuz you have to rewire the hole car which I did. Thank for your help
Old 03-31-10, 04:39 PM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

are you absolutely sure the factory harness still has power?
Old 03-31-10, 06:25 PM
dubedlexus
Rookie

Originally Posted by PlatES300
are you absolutely sure the factory harness still has power?
Yes I checked it a couple times. Is it may be anti-theft system but I have disconnected the battery before and this never happened?
Old 04-01-10, 01:10 AM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

I had a similar problem a while back. There was no power going to the headunit so I tested the harness and no power from that either. It ended up being the amp. Stock amp was messed up so no power was going to the radio harness. The way the ES is wired, the main power source goes into the stock amp and then re-routed to the head unit. If all else fails, I would check the stock amp. You can find the wiring diagram on here or in the FSM if you have it.
Old 04-01-10, 06:18 PM
dubedlexus
Rookie

I had a similar problem a while back. There was no power going to the headunit so I tested the harness and no power from that either. It ended up being the amp. Stock amp was messed up so no power was going to the radio harness. The way the ES is wired, the main power source goes into the stock amp and then re-routed to the head unit. If all else fails, I would check the stock amp. You can find the wiring diagram on here or in the FSM if you have it.
I got it today I thought I bypassed the factory amp but I didnt, there was power but it was the power from the key and not constant one too. I forgot there was two power wires but thank you it was exactly what you just said.
Old 04-01-10, 06:20 PM
dubedlexus
Rookie

And dcapo the amp is behind the glove box
Old 04-02-10, 07:04 AM
ivory98es3
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to be sure, you have checked both fuses for the Radio? One in the engine comp. and the one behind the coin holder?
Old 04-02-10, 05:41 PM
dubedlexus
Rookie

Originally Posted by ivory98es3
Just to be sure, you have checked both fuses for the Radio? One in the engine comp. and the one behind the coin holder?
Yes , the amp its bad I thought i bypassed it but I didnt Its been a long time since I did it.
Old 04-03-10, 05:47 PM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dubedlexus
Yes , the amp its bad I thought i bypassed it but I didnt Its been a long time since I did it.
yeah my amp went bad and I ended up rewiring everything as well. The main power source from the battery is routed to the amp first and then out to the wiring harness on the radio. to bypass the amp entirely, you have to direct wire the power into the harness and also ground the head unit separately if that makes any sense.
Old 04-04-10, 12:33 PM
dubedlexus
Rookie

yeah my amp went bad and I ended up rewiring everything as well. The main power source from the battery is routed to the amp first and then out to the wiring harness on the radio. to bypass the amp entirely, you have to direct wire the power into the harness and also ground the head unit separately if that makes any sense.
Ya I already rewired the hole car, but I'm going to just splice the power coming in to the amp to the factory harness for the head unit so I dont have to deal with fuses and just use the protection and ground thats already there.
Old 04-06-10, 09:41 AM
dcapo
Driver

Originally Posted by dubedlexus
And dcapo the amp is behind the glove box
thanks alot i got it now, but the sub arent wired tho, can i wire that from the stock amp to the receiver