LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Head unit nightmare need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-18, 01:39 PM
Mylsrocks
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head unit nightmare need help

Trying to install a new HU in my mid year 97 Ls400, bought the head unit from crutchfield it is a double din media player a Blaupunkt but the wire harness does not fit at all after a little discussion with the expert from crutchfield he says I have a 96 factory pioneer hu and amp in it and I have to hard wire it into the car so he looks some stuff up on this fourm and we start but then he says oops, the person that posted what he did after posted that it did not work he didn't know wire diagrams, so now I'm kind up the creek with no paddle can any one help. Have wires spliced for speakers at factory amp but have no power to head unit, where do I get power to head unit from? Do I get power from amp side or hu side, or do split it from both sides,amp side for power and which wire and the other from behind the hu for memory and which wire, also where do I ground the head unit, to a wire and which wire or to the chassis? Also need to know which wires or wire to connect the antenna too.
Old 01-26-18, 02:21 AM
AlaskanLS
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-diagrams.html
Old 01-26-18, 05:04 AM
Mylsrocks
Driver School Candidate

Thank you Alaskanls but later on down the posts he noted that it did not work.
Old 01-26-18, 05:09 AM
Mylsrocks
Driver School Candidate

Thank you Alaskanls but later on down the posts he noted that it did not work. I have seen the wire diagrams but I do not understand how to read them.
Old 01-26-18, 10:40 AM
AlaskanLS
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

You have to skip factory amp because most of these aftermarket head units have built in amplifiers, if you don't then you will hear your car's alternator sound in speakers. Get power from head unit. Leave the amp harness alone, just wrap it in electrical tape. Get your after market's head unit harness connected to factory harness of the head unit. Make sure you solder the wires. You won't need factory amp with your new head unit. Usually the blue wire is for the radio antenna in most of the metra harnesses. But whenever you replace the head unit with an after market head unit, your automatic antenna function won't work.
If you don't know what you are doing, simply take it to the shop for professional installation because you don't want your car to catch fire for the sake of saving couple hundred dollars.
It would be helpful if you post few pictures of the metra harness you got from crutchfield, harness that comes with the stereo and the harness that are attached to the factory head unit.
Old 01-26-18, 01:55 PM
Mylsrocks
Driver School Candidate

The harness that crutchfield sent me does not fit the hu harness or the factory amp. So I have a mid year 97 that has a variant, the wiring matches that post you sent me, but it does not match a 97.