ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

es300 struts/suspension/ NOISE! please help

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-10, 04:55 AM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by steviej
My 2002 ES developed a clunk sound that was similar to a couple of golf ***** banging around in the spare tire well every time I hit a bump.

Turned out to be the rear sway bar bushings. Two $10 pieces of rubber and 30 minutes of my time to totally silence the rear end. This is the most common cause of Toyota/Lexus noise in the rear end.

steviej
I too have a clunk coming from the rear of my 2002 ES with ~140k on it. I still haven't had time to check the suspension out but what you describe sounds exactly like my noise. Do you remember if the noise happened at slower speeds <40mph or higher? Mine only occurs with slow speeds.
Old 05-22-10, 12:49 AM
stant_98
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have the same kins of noise on my 02 ES with 128K. Can only hear it with open windows or sunroof over small bumps or bridge joints or road imperfections. Sounds like a metallic clunk type noise... Annoying... was told that functionally no damage is done to suspension components that it's just noise no damage is done to the car.. except the mounts.
Old 07-07-10, 05:17 AM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by steviej
My 2002 ES developed a clunk sound that was similar to a couple of golf ***** banging around in the spare tire well every time I hit a bump.

Turned out to be the rear sway bar bushings. Two $10 pieces of rubber and 30 minutes of my time to totally silence the rear end. This is the most common cause of Toyota/Lexus noise in the rear end.
Sorry to revive an old thread but I wanted to say thanks because this saved me a lot of time. I had the exact same issue with my 2002 ES; golf ball type of clunk sounds going over bumps at lower speeds. Having that clunk made the car sound like the back of the car was about fall off. Yesterday I changed my rear sway bar bushings and end links - the result is silence.

It's definitely an easy job and the bushings only cost $10. So if you're having a rear end clunking noise I would start here vs. strut mounts.
Old 12-07-10, 11:11 PM
mikesan420
Driver School Candidate

I have a 97 ES300 and changed all four springs and struts along with the mounts. Also changed the rear and front sway bar bushings and still have that noise when going over bumbs. It comes from the rear and it really is getting to me. It's been a few years now and I still can't figure it out. I also changed the sway bar links. It was a significant improvement in driving but that sound just doesn't go away. It seems that the sound has gotten louder as time has passed. Had it checked out by two shops and nobody can pinpoint the sound. Any ideas?
Old 12-08-10, 08:42 AM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mikesan420
I have a 97 ES300 and changed all four springs and struts along with the mounts. Also changed the rear and front sway bar bushings and still have that noise when going over bumbs. It comes from the rear and it really is getting to me. It's been a few years now and I still can't figure it out. I also changed the sway bar links. It was a significant improvement in driving but that sound just doesn't go away. It seems that the sound has gotten louder as time has passed. Had it checked out by two shops and nobody can pinpoint the sound. Any ideas?
If it's a "popping, golf ball" type noise, it could be the end links (a metal link with two ball joints at each end that connects the sway bar) I know on my car they were shot. They also could need to just be tightened down. If they're not doing their job, the sway bar flops around. I had a similar noise that it stopped. If you can get under the car, grab the sway bar and see if you can make it move.

I also have a rear "creaking/squeaking" noise whenever I go over speed bumps and its cold out. I'm pretty sure it's the strut mounts (I replaced the rubber sway bushings and end links already), but I don't want to throw parts ai it unless I'm sure.
Old 02-29-12, 01:21 AM
Alexbenz
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I've had the clunking noise on the drivers side, ive changed struct, mount , lower control arm and sway link and the noise is still there??? Bushings maybe??
Old 02-29-12, 04:04 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexbenz
I've had the clunking noise on the drivers side, ive changed struct, mount , lower control arm and sway link and the noise is still there??? Bushings maybe??
Sway bar bushings?
Old 02-29-12, 10:19 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

I think its nothing... I'm in the same boat [please add any findings to this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...n-stuffs.html]

Originally Posted by BDSL
Sway bar bushings?
Those make more of a creaking noise if anything... clunking in my case was shot struts in the rear, and the fluid was leaking so they were gone. Now i have a slight grind/rub almost.
Old 02-29-12, 12:13 PM
Alexbenz
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
I think its nothing... I'm in the same boat [please add any findings to this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...n-stuffs.html]

Those make more of a creaking noise if anything... clunking in my case was shot struts in the rear, and the fluid was leaking so they were gone. Now i have a slight grind/rub almost.
page not found, link doesn't work... but i've had this noise ever since i had the car and those items i listed were changed and it didn't resolve anything. I'm not convinced it's suppose to be normal. Just doesn't sound right
Old 02-29-12, 02:42 PM
kakarot
Rookie

Originally Posted by 99es300
Alright.

So going over bumps, potholes, etc has become horrible while driving my ’99 ES300. I notice this/ it seems the worst in the morning on my way to work.
Like a moron, I went and bought new Monroe struts myself and then had my mechanic install them.

This did nothing. I to another mechanic- who I trust much more and they replaced the sway link in the front and the rear- costing total $450.

The next day I noticed that it really didn’t help anything. I go crazy in the morning on my way to work as every little bump sounds terrible and the sunroof is starting to creak a little now (when closed) because of the rattling.

My more-trust-worthy mechanic told me they’d probably have to now replace the following:
1. Mounts
2. Cushion kit
3. Bottom plate

The first mechanic should have replaced the mounts when he did the struts, but he did not even mention that they were bad to me. To replace these three things, my good mechanic is saying it will cost roughly $600 for the front and $600 for the rear- MONROE parts. I checked RockAuto.com (GREAT for parts) and I can’t find everything that is listed above- just the mounts and the plates.

Has anyone else had this problem? I paid $450 to have the struts installed, another $450 for the links and now a rough estimate of $1200...

How much should the parts cost? Worth it? PLEASE HELP! THANKS!!!!!
This is to everyone here hope this will help alot of Lexus owner I'm having the same issue as everyone here I did my rear strut and still having the same noise, I'm in MN and it freaking cold so I could not fix my issue due to cold weather. I will fix it in the spring according to this PDF file so if someone fixed it using this method please let us know if it fixed your problem.
Attached Files
Old 02-29-12, 10:08 PM
dontmachme
Driver School Candidate

i have a 93 es300 i know the generations arent right but they have the same suspension setup ish. i replaced my struts and mounts and nothing still had a clunk in the rear. it turned out to be one of my four lateral links . they are straight rods with eyelet bushings at both ends. check for wheel play by jerking the tire around see if you get the clunk
Old 03-01-12, 06:16 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

page not found, link doesn't work... but i've had this noise ever since i had the car and those items i listed were changed and it didn't resolve anything. I'm not convinced it's suppose to be normal. Just doesn't sound right
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...on-stuffs.html
Old 03-03-12, 11:10 PM
LEX ES300
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I am in the same boat as everyone else. I have a 1997 Lexus ES 300 and I am also suffering with the noise in the back of the car. I am totally sick of it but I don't want to throw big money at doing the rear struts and mounts yet because other have tried this and it hasn't stopped the noise! I even started a thread on this a while back too like many others:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es30...ed-to-fix.html

I have read some possible fixes but I still have the noise!!
I have replaced the trailing arm bushings, the sway bar end links, and the sway bar bushings, and even the exhaust muffler rubber hanger/bushing but I STILL HAVE THE NOISE.
My theory is that it must be a rubber part because the noise is louder when its cold and almost quiet when its hot outside.

VERY FRUSTRATING.
Old 03-04-12, 02:29 AM
Lavaiie
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys I have a simular problem, when i go a bad bump, it feels something like a spring being "strumed" the rear "dribbles" against the road. I was able to place my car (97 300) on a lift and get under it and yank on parts like the other guys said to see what was loose. the "dribble" tire feeling is on the rear pass side, and after inspection, i could litterally jingle the sabilizer bar link/end link up and down with two fingers. This is only a 13-20 dollar part.
Old 04-06-13, 04:54 AM
kazoolook
Driver School Candidate

Default Simple remedy for rear noise

Check the bushings on the rear stabilizer bar. I have a 2000 ES 300. Clunk over bump but otherwise quiet. Sounded like loose tire in trunk or maybe the jack was loose Emptied trunk first and took out the jack to eliminate that cause. Bar jiggled from side to side up on the lift. New pair of bushings. Total cost under $160 including labor, which included $75, 4 whell allignment that needed anyway [required to do once bushing changed]. Noise gone. Problem solved.

Last edited by kazoolook; 04-06-13 at 05:04 AM.

Quick Reply: es300 struts/suspension/ NOISE! please help