ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

es300 struts/suspension/ NOISE! please help

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-08, 09:48 AM
99es300
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default es300 struts/suspension/ NOISE! please help

Alright.

So going over bumps, potholes, etc has become horrible while driving my ’99 ES300. I notice this/ it seems the worst in the morning on my way to work.
Like a moron, I went and bought new Monroe struts myself and then had my mechanic install them.

This did nothing. I to another mechanic- who I trust much more and they replaced the sway link in the front and the rear- costing total $450.

The next day I noticed that it really didn’t help anything. I go crazy in the morning on my way to work as every little bump sounds terrible and the sunroof is starting to creak a little now (when closed) because of the rattling.

My more-trust-worthy mechanic told me they’d probably have to now replace the following:
1. Mounts
2. Cushion kit
3. Bottom plate

The first mechanic should have replaced the mounts when he did the struts, but he did not even mention that they were bad to me. To replace these three things, my good mechanic is saying it will cost roughly $600 for the front and $600 for the rear- MONROE parts. I checked RockAuto.com (GREAT for parts) and I can’t find everything that is listed above- just the mounts and the plates.

Has anyone else had this problem? I paid $450 to have the struts installed, another $450 for the links and now a rough estimate of $1200...

How much should the parts cost? Worth it? PLEASE HELP! THANKS!!!!!
Old 09-11-08, 02:50 PM
jjmmd2003
Driver School Candidate

Default how many miles?

How many miles have you on it? I have a 98 with 135k miles and making a clunking noise on pax side over bumps and it turned out to be the strut tower mounts that were worn and loose and required replacing. Search more here for more info.
Old 09-11-08, 03:37 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

9 times out of 10 on the ES/Windom/Camry = Strut mounts.
Old 09-11-08, 04:34 PM
p_action
Driver

2nd that, its the old rubber in the strut mounts. Hence why it makes more noise in the morning.

I had the same problem before mine were replaced.

~ Peter
Old 09-11-08, 06:51 PM
miltonlin
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default I had the same problem too...

with strut mount noise. Dealer replaced. Service advisor said it wasn't really a safety issue but the noise is uncharacteristic for a luxury brand.
Old 09-12-08, 05:32 PM
jjmmd2003
Driver School Candidate

Default strut noise question-98 ES 300

I just replaced all 4 shocks and the top strut tower mounts for poor ride and clunking noise over bumps.

ride now very firm (new shocks?) but now clunking noise recurred but now on drivers side.

Tommy who was reccommended on this form in S. El Monte says that my bottom plate (?mounts) are worn out and also need to be replaced.

He sais earlier just replace top mounts as usually bottom okay. Car has 140k miles on it & trying to keep maintainence costs down as I try to get a few more years out of it.

Should he have originally done both top and bottom mounts?
Any source for lower cost bottom mounts as he says that these have to be Toyota or Lexus parts for this repair?

Thanks
Old 09-12-08, 07:01 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jjmmd2003
Any source for lower cost bottom mounts as he says that these have to be Toyota or Lexus parts for this repair?

Thanks

It's been proven that staying with the Toyota mounts is the way to go. Lots of folks went aftermarket and have rattling and other noises post-install. If your upper mounts are non-Toyota there's still a chance that they're making noise. Get 'em all while you're at it; they're not THAT expensive and the quiet results are worth it.

Hit up Carson Toyota (see Luis) as they offer amazing prices and discounts for CL members; they're a supporting vendor. Support our supporting vendors whenever possible.
Old 09-13-08, 08:24 PM
gomboy60
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 99es300
Alright.

So going over bumps, potholes, etc has become horrible while driving my ’99 ES300. I notice this/ it seems the worst in the morning on my way to work.
Like a moron, I went and bought new Monroe struts myself and then had my mechanic install them.

This did nothing. I to another mechanic- who I trust much more and they replaced the sway link in the front and the rear- costing total $450.

The next day I noticed that it really didn’t help anything. I go crazy in the morning on my way to work as every little bump sounds terrible and the sunroof is starting to creak a little now (when closed) because of the rattling.

My more-trust-worthy mechanic told me they’d probably have to now replace the following:
1. Mounts
2. Cushion kit
3. Bottom plate

The first mechanic should have replaced the mounts when he did the struts, but he did not even mention that they were bad to me. To replace these three things, my good mechanic is saying it will cost roughly $600 for the front and $600 for the rear- MONROE parts. I checked RockAuto.com (GREAT for parts) and I can’t find everything that is listed above- just the mounts and the plates.

Has anyone else had this problem? I paid $450 to have the struts installed, another $450 for the links and now a rough estimate of $1200...

How much should the parts cost? Worth it? PLEASE HELP! THANKS!!!!!
My 1997 ES300 had a very similar problem as above. Mine had 45k when I bought and the noise was more pronounced when the car was cold. The noise was coming from the wheel/shock area whenever there is a bump or road irregularity. I have replaced all four shocks without any result. At the end, a local mechanic replaced shock mounts and the noise went away like magic. I currently have 175k on it and it still runs like a new car.

Chris
Old 09-14-08, 11:35 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 2002 ES developed a clunk sound that was similar to a couple of golf ***** banging around in the spare tire well every time I hit a bump.

Turned out to be the rear sway bar bushings. Two $10 pieces of rubber and 30 minutes of my time to totally silence the rear end. This is the most common cause of Toyota/Lexus noise in the rear end.

Later the front started to make the same noise. Replaced the front sway bar bushings (about 3 hours of my time cause they are harder to get at). This wasn't it. Turned out to be the left front strut nut (up under the hood) has lossened a 1/2 a turn. Tightened and the noise was gone.

steviej
Old 09-15-08, 02:10 AM
mb12345
Rookie

Originally Posted by steviej
Turned out to be the rear sway bar bushings. Two $10 pieces of rubber and 30 minutes of my time to totally silence the rear end. This is the most common cause of Toyota/Lexus noise in the rear end.
steviej
Did you have to also apply some lubricant in the bushings when you installed them, so they don't make the sweaking noise?
Old 09-15-08, 09:13 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mb12345
Did you have to also apply some lubricant in the bushings when you installed them, so they don't make the sweaking noise?
The noise comes from the rubber becoming hard with age and the hole the sway bar fits in enlarges. The new bushing will be tighter and more pliable, however, I did apply a thin layer of clam dip (white lithium grease in a tube) to the inside of the bushings.

steviej
Old 09-16-08, 02:04 PM
99es300
Rookie

Thanks Everyone
Old 09-23-08, 10:10 AM
99es300
Rookie

I want to order the parts from Carson and have my mechanic put them in... any idea what I all need to buy? Should I JUST get the strut MOUNTS? Or do I need any of the other parts on here:
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0

?

THANKS
Old 09-26-08, 10:56 AM
99es300
Rookie

Ok,
I just ordered my parts from Luis at Carson (he said I was getting a discount, but the prices were the same as their prices on their website)... at any rate I have a question and hope someone sees this that can answer.

When I was looking online, there was a 'strut mount' for the front at about $70- give or take. Luis told me that for the front mount, I needed to buy three separate parts: the seat, support and bearing because they didn't make an "all-in-one" mount, but they do make it for the back ($96 ea. side)..

Does that sound right? Do I have to buy all three parts (for each front side) Or could I just have bought the front "mount" for $70?
Old 11-30-08, 02:10 PM
98_es300
Driver School Candidate

steviej: how did you tighten the strut nut? i have the same issue with with front passenger strut nut being loose, but when i try to tighten the nut it just spins (doesnt tighten) and i noticed the strut piston spins as well. any ideas?

Quick Reply: es300 struts/suspension/ NOISE! please help