ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2001 Brake calipers painted with Lexus decals [Pics]

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-08, 10:28 PM
vassey50
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Brake calipers painted with Lexus decals [Pics]

Just catching up on some threads that needed posting. This one I think many people have done. I found it quite a long job, but I think it was because I was going to be extremely picky with the results. Long story short, the car was on blocks for two days; one day of cleaning and prep and one day for painting and drying. Like I said, it was a long process but in the end I was very happy with the results.

The cleaning was pretty intense and basically involved sanding with a foam sanding bar and spraying lots of brake cleaner! I wanted to be very thorough with the cleaning b/c I only had the one chance of getting the paint applied right, apparently the FoliaTec dries hard as nails. Good if you do it right, bad if you do it wrong.

Here in the joyous north they use salt on the roads like it was free, hence the constant rust hiding behind my spotless chrome wheels and on my struts etc. not a good look. So it was the FoliaTec to the rescue.

The discs seem to get nasty too, so I also sanded the edges of those and painted them, not with the FoliaTec, but with Tremclad Rust Paint, just to clean it up and finish the look. Touched up the rotor hats as well with silver.

Now with the FoliaTec caliper paint, it mixes like an epoxy so you have a short period of time to get it on. I did one side of the vehicle, then the other, simply mixing half of the paint and activator at a time.

Rears before and after:

Here I have the front calipers taped off b/c it was time to put the Lexus decals on and secure them with some high temperature clear coat by VHT.

...and the results...
Old 02-02-08, 10:29 PM
vassey50
Pole Position

Default ...

And the final results with the wheels back on.

I must say that I am glad I went with the more expensive professional brake caliper paint by Foliatec (~$70). This stuff dries extremely hard and leaves a nice shine, enhanced again by the high temp clear. The calipers now are easy to clean and I don’t fear spraying a pressure washer on the wheels. I did this project about 22 months ago and the calipers still look awesome, no chips, no wear. Tell me what you think about the job, thanks to all previous posts by CLM’s…returning the favor for someone new thinking about doing this one.

V
Old 02-03-08, 12:35 AM
maniax
Lexus Test Driver

goodjob! looks great! Where did u buy the lexus decal?
Old 02-03-08, 04:43 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Holy crap, that's HAWT!
+1 on the decal purchase
Old 02-03-08, 07:37 AM
BadViper22
Lexus Test Driver

Dear God my friend... That is brilliant! The finished product actually put a smile on my face.
Two thumbs way up for this!
Old 02-03-08, 08:12 AM
92ES5sp
Lexus Test Driver

Smile

Looks nice! I love the mods that have a factory feel to them if ya know what I mean. It looks like you put a lot of effort into that and did it right and I like seeing that.
Old 02-03-08, 08:20 AM
vassey50
Pole Position

Default Decals

When i was looking for decals to put on my calipers i originally tried to find one of the members of either CL or LOC who was selling them, but it was hard to find. The posts for this job were a little old and i couldn't find the person, next i turned to ebay, also with no luck. And i usually find whatever i need for my car in the US (yes, unfortunately not here in Canada), so it was to my surprise that after a little research on the decal material themselves, i got some made locally. I simply went to a graphics shop and asked them for a die cut vinyl 'Lexus' decal.

He pulled the logo from his online resource, asked me what size i wanted and 10 min later i had them. Maybe $20. He made me some different sizes too, just to make sure i could decide what looked best on the caliper. Too big would have looked silly. I made it easier though by tracing out the largest spot on the caliper and bringing it with me when i went shopping. My goal was to add a little something to the car, seeing as how the 'average' Lexus buyers are probably of retirement age, to make it a little sportier yet still classy. Best of luck to anybody who tries this, it's worth it.

Cheers,
V
Old 02-03-08, 09:35 AM
Choas
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good now I know what I have to do if I decide to do it. Although with your results I can see no reason why not to do it.
Old 02-03-08, 10:02 AM
Maxx941
Lexus Test Driver

That came out Great! The extra lexus sticker gave it a nice touch.
Great job
Sooner or later I'll have mines painted silver as well..
Old 02-03-08, 10:24 AM
alaskaty
Pole Position

DAMN, that made a world of difference!
Old 02-03-08, 11:42 AM
Instructor

I saw a real Lexus caliper, but I think it was on a GS400... or some other GS model. I think it comes oem, but only in the premium package.
Old 02-03-08, 11:45 AM
swifty562
Lead Lap

first ever!!! a clean caliper paint job! nice nice nice.

nice decal too...

but 1 question is, are there colors to choose from?
Old 02-03-08, 04:03 PM
happy_es3
Driver

looks great i did mines over the summer too just to lazy to make a thread about it i did silver stickers with a black caliper, ill post a pic up to show u guys
Old 02-03-08, 04:10 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

That looks awesome vassey! Excellent choice of tire for the summer btw!

your ES reminds me alot of my previous 2001 ES.
Old 02-03-08, 05:06 PM
Choas
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by swifty562

first ever!!! a clean caliper paint job! nice nice nice.

nice decal too...

but 1 question is, are there colors to choose from?
You can do any color you want all you did is paint the caliper the color you want ''lexus'' to be. Then put the decal on and paint it the color you want the rest of the caliper to be. Then peel of the sticker and your set.

Quick Reply: 2001 Brake calipers painted with Lexus decals [Pics]