ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

New member and i need help already :P

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-07, 06:31 AM
SP Lex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member and i need help already :P

Hey,

I'm new here to CL and i seriously need some help. I have a 97 ES300 and i finally got some money saved up to get some stuff done to it. I recently got my windows tinted and was looking into gettin some HIDs and rims.

My concern is though, a friend of mine bought an HID conversion kit and put it on his car and within 6 months, the ballasts got screwed up. So he was like you might want to go and find HIDs from Lexus. Anybody know any good HID kits that would be worth the money (not too much money either) and wont break down?? Also, anyone know any good places to get rims??
Old 10-17-07, 07:27 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

First and foremost to ClubLexus and the ES forum!

Second, these HID conversion kits are frequently recommended on this forum. That link takes you to the 4000 temp HIDs. You can go straight to the XenonDepot main page and on the right side pick another temperature, although higher than 6500 is not recommended.

Third, the conversion kits are listed as satisfactory, while the retrofit conversions are listed as optimal. We have one fantastic regular member, LXMN, who retro'd his HIDs. His thread about it is here.

Finally, the best place to gain a bachelors in HID is at HIDPlanet.com.
Old 10-17-07, 08:02 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Cool

Originally Posted by SP Lex
Also, anyone know any good places to get rims??
I went through the wheel shopping, selection and installation process and created a thread about it here. Lots of good guys chipped in with some nice pics and some good advice in there. One of the regulars, Maxx941 suggested these sites:

Originally Posted by Maxx941

check out these sites:

victoria tire
wheelsnext
wheelmax
wheelguyz

just a few sites off the top of my head
Not really VIP stuff but a better selection than tirerack
You'll find several store site recommendations in that thread (www.1010tires.com is another I recall from that thread). I found the best possible deal online and then took that offer to my local Discount Tire Company and they matched it. I can strongly recommend that method.

Finally, there's an ES Aftermarket & OEM Wheel thread to check out for even more ideas. There's a huge trend right now in putting wheels from other Lexus models on ESs, and it does look good; you'll see pictures like this in there as well.

Good luck, and feel free to post up more questions/needs and pictures once you've got 'em on.
Old 10-17-07, 08:25 AM
Choas
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to CL now when it comes to HID's I would go with some TSX projectors thats what i'm gonna go with. Now Sloooooow why would you not recomend about 6500k I was looking at the purple 8000k. Oh and about tires I have Nexus N3000's and they are llike 4.3 out of 5 on 1010tires.com I got my 225/40/18's off ebay for 388 shipped they are sold under Lexani N3000 best bang for your buck I think. Oh and post up some pics please.
Old 10-17-07, 10:34 AM
LXMN
Lexus Test Driver

Welcome to the club, SP Lex! Great forum to join and all the info you could ever want can be found right here. Someone will have an answer to just about any question posted.

Thanks for the props Slooooooow.

TSX projectors offer a spectrum of colors with the cut-off shield, so 4100k or 4300k are the best colors to show this effect. If you get over 6000k, you lose alot of the "flicker" effect.

HID kits can be bought on Ebay new (asian brand) for under $200. They are a gamble. I have a set right now in my car and no problems thus far. You can also buy used HID ballasts and bulbs from used Lexus cars, which would be the same as say going to the dealer, and go from there. There just is no warranty on these.
XenonDepot only offers a 1 yr warranty on their products, which for me is not long enough. My Asian HID kit is now over 1 yr old and still works fine and cost $200 from Ebay. The choice is yours.

Last edited by LXMN; 10-17-07 at 10:59 AM. Reason: added some more info
Old 10-17-07, 11:14 AM
Choas
Lexus Champion

Hmmm so looks like 6000k it is which is that nice blue which still looks good.
Old 10-17-07, 11:20 AM
LXMN
Lexus Test Driver

I have 5000k
Old 10-17-07, 12:29 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Slooooooow, is that a welcome mat or a welcome postage stamp?

I hope SP Lex doesn't develop an inferiority complex due to the size of his mat, but I must say you certainly made up for its shortcomings with the extremely helpful and informative info you supplied!
Old 10-17-07, 12:34 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Cool

Originally Posted by Lexucan
Hey Slooooooow, is that a welcome mat or a welcome postage stamp?

I hope SP Lex doesn't develop an inferiority complex due to the size of his mat, but I must say you certainly made up for its shortcomings with the extremely helpful and informative info you supplied!
HAHAHAHAHA! You guys are nuts.
It's not the size of your welcome mat...it's the....I have no idea how to redeem it. *LOL*
Thanks for the propas, Lexucan!
Old 10-17-07, 12:43 PM
Smitty
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome SP Lex. Where u at in VA?

-Smitty
Old 10-18-07, 11:32 AM
SP Lex
Driver School Candidate

I'm up in Northern Virginia. Also, wat are those TSX Projectors you guys keep talkin bout??
Old 10-18-07, 11:35 AM
LXMN
Lexus Test Driver

They come out of the headlights of an Acura TSX. They are the low beam projectors inside the headlight housing. Many a person has used these to replace their low beam headlights on their cars. I am one of them.

Superior lighting compared to halogen or HID reflector.
Old 10-18-07, 01:42 PM
Choas
Lexus Champion

^Isn't the TSX projector bi-xenon which means it will do high and low beam if wired properly.
Old 10-18-07, 02:14 PM
LXMN
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Choas
^Isn't the TSX projector bi-xenon which means it will do high and low beam if wired properly.
No, it is not bi-xenon. The TL projector is though. But I think that it is a little too big to fit inside the housing.
Old 10-18-07, 02:54 PM
Choas
Lexus Champion

What size is the TL projector and how much won't it fit by cuz if I'm gonna do this I'm gonna go bi-xenon.

Quick Reply: New member and i need help already :P