ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Wheel Fitment Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-07, 03:19 PM
Smitty
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Red face Wheel Fitment Issues

Ok I finally got my new wheels mounted and balanced and on the car. The fit pretty nice but my rears seem to rub against the strut tower when I got over slight humps in the road. I have 2 15 inch subs in the trunk and it adds about an extra 75lbs so I removed them and I still rub. At first I thought I was rubbing on the fender but after driving today and checking I saw it was the strut tower. I'm not sure how many people are running spacers but do you think they would help correct my problem? The wheel sizes are 19x8.5 +35 offsets tires are 235/35/19 (should have went with 225 or 215s for some stretch but I'll fix that eventually)

I do know depending on what size spacer I would have to get longer studs. I'm trying to avoid that at all costs. In the next month or so I'm going to be switching to coilovers or if I can convince wifey a custom air setup. I'm just trying to fix the rubbing until I switch to coils. But here are some pics to kind of give you an ideal of the fit.

-Smitty
Old 06-14-07, 03:20 PM
Smitty
Pole Position

A few more pics

Not flush yet but hopefully soon. Maybe I'll add just a tad bit of negative camber. Not too much she is a Daily

-Smitty
Old 06-14-07, 07:36 PM
chrispy

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts

Looking good Smitty! It's really VIP now. Which coilovers are you going with? Depends how much you're rubbing. 5mm and up it's recommended to get longer studs. Maybe try 3mm? How do you know it won't rub when you go with coilovers?

BTW is there a 3 piece spoiler for the ES? The one you have right now looks out of place with your theme.
Old 06-14-07, 08:03 PM
Choas
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So i see your in the same boat I was about a month back but it was my rim itself rubbing on the strut tower. I ended up trying 5mm spacers in the rear that didn't do a thing but make it hard to put the rims. So I ended up getting 12mm spacers which forced me to get longer studs. Now if this is the route you need to go you will need; a guy good with a sledge hammer, a guy to hold a board over the spindal so you don't damage the abs, and a brave guy to hold the pointed hammer up against the stud while the guy with the sledge hits it. But they do look go just be happy its not the rim itself rubbing. Let us know about the coilovers and how that could fix it because what I thought it would do it just raise or lower the car not make to strut tower more out of the way so it doesn't rub. Also about my bumper you never got back to me is it a no go? I kinda need to know its going to get up on the lift soon and I need to know what parts i'm taking off?
Old 06-14-07, 08:04 PM
Choas
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ChrisES
Looking good Smitty! It's really VIP now. Which coilovers are you going with? Depends how much you're rubbing. 5mm and up it's recommended to get longer studs. Maybe try 3mm? How do you know it won't rub when you go with coilovers?

BTW is there a 3 piece spoiler for the ES? The one you have right now looks out of place with your theme.
I think his spoiler is the OEM one for the camry.
Old 06-14-07, 08:13 PM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That off-set seems to be a little off...mine is +43, and its like a 1/4" from the strut already.

I actually had to buy a pair of 3mm (or maybe 5mm, can't remember) wheel spacers to clear some Dunlop's that had a thick rim lip protector on them.

You defiantly should have gone with 225 or 215. I learned my lessen, I threw away a few hundred dollars for 235

The wheels look good BTW

GL of the wheel fitment
Old 06-15-07, 04:22 AM
Smitty
Pole Position

Well when I go with coilovers I'm thinking of going with the Ksports and adjusting the camber a little so maybe it wont touch. But that is a good question. And about the spolier that was on the car when I got it. I'm seriously thinking about removing it and getting a M3 style spoiler or no spoiler at all.

Originally Posted by Choas
So i see your in the same boat I was about a month back but it was my rim itself rubbing on the strut tower. I ended up trying 5mm spacers in the rear that didn't do a thing but make it hard to put the rims. So I ended up getting 12mm spacers which forced me to get longer studs. Now if this is the route you need to go you will need; a guy good with a sledge hammer, a guy to hold a board over the spindal so you don't damage the abs, and a brave guy to hold the pointed hammer up against the stud while the guy with the sledge hits it. But they do look go just be happy its not the rim itself rubbing. Let us know about the coilovers and how that could fix it because what I thought it would do it just raise or lower the car not make to strut tower more out of the way so it doesn't rub. Also about my bumper you never got back to me is it a no go? I kinda need to know its going to get up on the lift soon and I need to know what parts i'm taking off?
Sorry its taken a while for me to get back with ya. I sent a PM.

I was reading your post and I was trying to avoid the longer studs since I read how much trouble it was for you the get yours on. If I have to go that route I'm going to be a punk about it and pay someone to do it. Yeah I know it goes against my DIY mentality but I just dont feel like going through all that right now. I've been having enough problems working on my bike.

But in all spacers would probably work? And are they safe to be rolling on? Any vibrations or problems?

-Smitty
Old 06-15-07, 05:40 AM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it looks like the tire would rub on the inner fender lip
Old 06-15-07, 06:24 AM
Choas
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Smitty0881
Well when I go with coilovers I'm thinking of going with the Ksports and adjusting the camber a little so maybe it wont touch. But that is a good question. And about the spolier that was on the car when I got it. I'm seriously thinking about removing it and getting a M3 style spoiler or no spoiler at all.

Sorry its taken a while for me to get back with ya. I sent a PM.

I was reading your post and I was trying to avoid the longer studs since I read how much trouble it was for you the get yours on. If I have to go that route I'm going to be a punk about it and pay someone to do it. Yeah I know it goes against my DIY mentality but I just dont feel like going through all that right now. I've been having enough problems working on my bike.

But in all spacers would probably work? And are they safe to be rolling on? Any vibrations or problems?

-Smitty

No vivration at all they actually are smoother feeling than my snows
Old 06-15-07, 06:59 AM
Smitty
Pole Position

DAM THE REARS ON THE ES!!! What to do what to do.... I guess I'll try to find some spacers from a local parts store and see what happens. All else fails I'll get longer studs and get the right spacer and fenders are being rolled and pulled Monday so We'll see how it goes. I'll keep everyone posted.

-Smitty
Old 06-15-07, 02:07 PM
MCV20
Lexus Test Driver

looking good...

i believe a 3mm spacer should do the magic..
Old 06-17-07, 06:44 PM
Smitty
Pole Position

Update:

Ok I took a very very close look at my rears Saturday and I was rubbing on my fenders. I've been calling around for the last week trying to find a shop to roll my fenders but couldnt get anyone to do them soon. So I went about it old school and used the bat/fender roll trick. Pulled out the blue painter's tape, the heat gun and my bat and got her done. No more rub. Still want to push the rear tires out alittle to get the flush look I'm looking for but that will happen in due time.

Fender Roller

Pictures from Saturday at Sandy point beach

She's coming along. Definitely more to come.

-Smitty
Old 06-17-07, 07:33 PM
chrispy

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts

She's really coming along nicely. I see you went my way with the fender rolling. Did you crack any paint? When are the coilovers coming in?
Old 06-17-07, 08:00 PM
Smitty
Pole Position

She's really coming along nicely. I see you went my way with the fender rolling. Did you crack any paint? When are the coilovers coming in?
Didnt crack any on the outside but a little on the inside of the fender I'm going to take it to a body shop and the fenders pulled out a little more and have them do some paint work on the inside so it dosent rust.
Old 06-18-07, 01:03 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Smitty0881
Update:

Ok I took a very very close look at my rears Saturday and I was rubbing on my fenders.

i tried to tell you!

Quick Reply: Wheel Fitment Issues