ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

ES300 W/TSX retrofit pics..

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-07, 03:56 PM
maniax
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we need somebody to lead us 2nd genners in terms of hid retrofits!
Old 03-01-07, 07:34 PM
LXMN
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by maniax
we need somebody to lead us 2nd genners in terms of hid retrofits!
I was wondering if you couldn't just replace your halogen projector with an HID projector? Just open up your headlights and go from there. Have any of you 2nd generation owners done this? I would think that it would not be that hard.
Old 06-16-07, 10:40 AM
rlinr
Driver School Candidate

That turned out very nice!!!Mad props to ya I was wondering what kind of ballasts and igniters u are using? Also are you using the stock wiring? I'm about to do a retrofit too but just need to do a little more research.
Old 06-16-07, 12:40 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hehe time for...dual projectors
That would look awesome on the 00-01 where the light shrouds have the more circular opening.
Old 06-17-07, 01:10 AM
huerdo623
Pole Position

First off NICE WORK LXMN,second I am ready to do this to my 92 and was wondering does anybody know if it is going to be that hard?
Old 06-17-07, 06:39 PM
Parker Gen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LXMN
I was wondering if you couldn't just replace your halogen projector with an HID projector? Just open up your headlights and go from there. Have any of you 2nd generation owners done this? I would think that it would not be that hard.
Got some Ultra White White LED's forward facing only (illegal watts for street here) and the problem is that there is a casing in-front of the projector bulb which doesn't allow the LED's to work, all you can see is a white halo like the BMW angel eyes. Looked good, but no way it'd light up the street for driving :P
Old 06-18-07, 07:15 PM
LXMN
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rlinr
That turned out very nice!!!Mad props to ya I was wondering what kind of ballasts and igniters u are using? Also are you using the stock wiring? I'm about to do a retrofit too but just need to do a little more research.
As of now, I am using some inexpensive ballasts (with built in ignitors) that were purchased on the "bay". So far, it has been over 6 months of daily use and I have had no problems whatsoever with them powering up and igniting the bulbs. I am also using the stock wiring. Hope that helps you.
Old 06-18-07, 10:44 PM
rlinr
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. I intended to use my stock wiring but after some research on hidplanet.com most prefer making their own harness. I might just go that route just to be on the safe side.
Old 10-10-07, 09:09 AM
Choas
Lexus Champion

I felt the need to bump this thread because this looks like a really nice winter project to try. I do have a couple questions on this tho. First why are there so many different ballast computers? What difference are they, what do they do and if i get a tsx setup is it better to go with tsx ballists. Oh and what kind of bezel do i need to cover up the projector? Last is it better to buy in pieces or a whole setup like this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Acura...spagenameZWDVW
Oh and is it just me or is that her cleavage in the reflection?
Old 10-10-07, 02:00 PM
chrispy

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Choas
I felt the need to bump this thread because this looks like a really nice winter project to try. I do have a couple questions on this tho. First why are there so many different ballast computers? What difference are they, what do they do and if i get a tsx setup is it better to go with tsx ballists. Oh and what kind of bezel do i need to cover up the projector? Last is it better to buy in pieces or a whole setup like this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Acura...spagenameZWDVW
Oh and is it just me or is that her cleavage in the reflection?
Different OEM ballasts usually vary in size, and that's about it. You can use any ballasts with the D2S bulbs as long as it is a D2R/D2S ballast. For shrouds/bezels you need to get creative and try to fit something that looks good while covering up the projector. From my experience it's better to buy in pieces unless you're getting a huge discount in buying everything. RL projectors look worse than TSX projectors. Weird how that works. Don't see any cleavage either.
Old 10-10-07, 02:19 PM
Choas
Lexus Champion

^hmmm ok so what projectors and ballasts do you recomend and is that a good deal or should I be able to do it for less?Oh and look at the top two pictures it looks like she is wearing a white low cut shirt you can see it in the projector. Also and bezels you recomend?
Old 10-10-07, 05:16 PM
chrispy

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Choas
^hmmm ok so what projectors and ballasts do you recomend and is that a good deal or should I be able to do it for less?Oh and look at the top two pictures it looks like she is wearing a white low cut shirt you can see it in the projector. Also and bezels you recomend?
TSX projectors are the best fit for the ES because of their size. ES headlights don't have much space to work with. I prefer Denso (Lexus) ballasts because of their size and design. Bezels, any 2.5 would fit but if you're looking for something cheap I know Ace Hardware sells flanges that fit very well. As for the cleavage, that just looks like the reflection of whatever the projectors are sitting on.

Going prices for items you need
TSX projectors: $150
Denso Ballasts: $150
Bulbs: Depends on what you want
Shrouds: from $5 to $50. Again, depends.

You can definately find better deals on these items or find cheaper alternatives but that is entirely up to you.
Old 10-11-07, 04:24 PM
Choas
Lexus Champion

So on another note with this has anyone been able to get the high and low beam function to work with out adding a new switch(use the high beam lever on the steering wheel) Oh and what about harnesses what kind would I need to get this to work.
Old 10-11-07, 07:26 PM
LXMN
Lexus Test Driver

You could switch the plugs between the fogs and the high beams.
Old 10-13-07, 09:03 AM
Choas
Lexus Champion

^Huh so how would that work?

Quick Reply: ES300 W/TSX retrofit pics..