Drag Strip Discussion about Lexus straight line racing on the 1/4 mile, 1/8 mile and top speed flats.

iphone app. tracking hp, 1/4 mile.....

Old 08-29-08, 12:46 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Default iphone app. tracking hp, 1/4 mile.....

hey i saw a post not to long ago about an application for the iPhone where you it shows how fast, 1/4 mile, hp ....performance of the car....

could someone send me the link please...

thanks
Old 08-29-08, 01:00 PM
LSCJJ
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol... Baoser showed me that. i took it and ran around the parking lot and it said i was running like 100 hp at like 60 mph...

but again, it wasnt calibrated right.
this was on a itouch

ur suppose to put it certain place on ur car and let it calibrate. speed hp is calculated by the actaul movement of the itouch / phone. how fast it jerked forward, etc...

im not sure about its accuracy.
Old 08-29-08, 01:45 PM
ice40i
Driver School Candidate

Dynolicious.... Great app pretty acurate especially for the price ...... you cant go wrong
Old 08-29-08, 03:17 PM
CAIFAN_64
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

this is the official website..........
http://dynolicious.com/index.html
Old 08-29-08, 05:25 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

There's at least 3, maybe 4 by now, dyno apps in the app store on itunes.... price varies from like 3 or 4 bucks up to 13 for dynolicous... they're all doing the same basic stuff a G-tech has done for years, just some have more options and displays than others
Old 08-29-08, 10:45 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 182 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by ice40i
Dynolicious.... Great app pretty acurate especially for the price ...... you cant go wrong
It's a toy, not at tool. Let's be serious here folks. Accuracy will be questionable at best, and be prepared to be laughed out of any circle of actual car guys when you tell them that you pulled your times off your iPhone.
Old 08-29-08, 10:48 PM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lmao this is funny wow... i would do this for fun but not take the numbers for real times lol
Old 08-29-08, 10:51 PM
eric_r_ho
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by panyo64
when you tell them that you pulled your times off your iPhone.
HAHAHAH oh man..that's golden.
Old 08-29-08, 11:01 PM
zardoth
Rookie

I'm sure your mileage will vary, but I'd check out the reviews before you write it off, it comes pretty close to the GTEC and official track times:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-DFbJQbeSY

http://www.dragtimes.com/blog/iphone...r-video-review

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/i...deo_174587.htm

Last edited by zardoth; 08-29-08 at 11:08 PM.
Old 08-30-08, 09:31 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

It's an accelerometer. -exactly- the same technology G-tech and others use.

If used properly it'll be -exactly- as accurate as any other such technology, that is usually within 1/10th of a second of what you get with timing lights at a track. The 'dyno' part will be more dependent on correct inputs of variables.

Anyone laughing at it is showing their ignorance, rather than showing they're a "real car guy"

That said, as with a G-tech, you need to use it properly to get good results (proper calibration, flat straight level road surface, stable placement of device, etc)
Old 08-30-08, 09:44 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Owned!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-30-08, 05:17 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My friend works for autospies and he gets all this stuff free. We have spent weekends running it in his audi and my IS. No matter how many times we calibrated it, it's almost always .3 off +-. To me that is not accurate. .3 in the 1/4 is a couple of car lengths. The hp calculations are off +- a few ponies also.. I would never ever put any thought into my data from either of those devices. the 1/4 track and checking DA is a sure fire way to know real results, along with dyno results on a dynojet. You should also compare those results to previous sessions / DA at the track

Now since the price of the gheyphone app is only 13 bucks, what the heck, go have fun. It might be something fun to show your friends.

Anyone that thinks .3 isn't a big descrepency isn't a "real car guy".

Again the gtech was calibrated to the T per instructions. Lucky it was a free "perk" for him.
Old 08-30-08, 09:18 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 182 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
It's an accelerometer. -exactly- the same technology G-tech and others use.

If used properly it'll be -exactly- as accurate as any other such technology, that is usually within 1/10th of a second of what you get with timing lights at a track. The 'dyno' part will be more dependent on correct inputs of variables.

Anyone laughing at it is showing their ignorance, rather than showing they're a "real car guy"

That said, as with a G-tech, you need to use it properly to get good results (proper calibration, flat straight level road surface, stable placement of device, etc)

You equate accuracy with a 10th of a second? Please. Try bracket racing, or better yet, index racing. People dial in at the tenth and lose at the hundredth, or the thousandth. Being a tenth off is laughable. I'll say it again. This, and the G-Tech, are toys, not tools.

When I run a 13.498 on a 13.5 index, or a 12.98 on a 12.9 dial and the guy in the next lane pulls an 11.33 on an 11.30 dial......

You want times? Go to the track. You want numbers? Strap/bolt your car to a dyno. Talk about ignorance.
Old 08-30-08, 10:33 PM
Tronix
Driver School Candidate

If its only off a "few ponies" then it sounds pretty accurate.

I've done plenty of Dyno testing on my cars and I can tell you that every dyno is different. You can roll off of a Mustang Dyno and onto a DynoMax dyno and see a 15 hp difference. Even real dyno's aren't very accurate for actual horsepower. They are more or less used to give you a base to work from. Say you dyno at 265hp.. then you add an intake and dyno at 267.. it gives you a reference for power adders and tuning. I've seen the Gtech meters perform pretty accurately if calibrated and set up correctly. For instance you have to input the weight of your car.. This means the EXACT weight of your car at that instant. with however much gas you have at that moment.. Your weight included..etc and if you input that weight by a few lbs then it's surely going to be off a little. or A LOT if you are estimating weight.
Old 08-30-08, 10:46 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

THe Iphone app for the phone is a cheap way to get decent results, if u wanna go spend an arm and a leg on a track followed by a dyno everytime u wanna get numbers from your car be my guess, (better but not perfect either) Save the track and dynos for those special occasions like if uve installed headers or a blower, the rest of the time use the Iphone.

Next time some one goes to the track be sure to take ur iphone with you. For every one that is talking about accuracy the only way to measure its accuracy is if it was done on a track where the results can be compared directly. Everything else is bull

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: iphone app. tracking hp, 1/4 mile.....