CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Soon to be CT Owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-19, 10:31 PM
ninebosox
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soon to be CT Owner

Hi all, I have put down a deposit on a 2012 CT200H with 33k kms (20k miles) up here in BC, Canada.

It is at a Lexus dealer and their service guys did a check on it. They changed the oil but nothing else. Everything else checked out fine. But I don't know if they checked the hybrid system (I have asked them to do so and report back to me).

I have also asked for service records but not sure they have them. Given the low maintenance schedule on these cars and the low mileage, I think I should be OK other than maybe swapping the brake fluid and tranny oil?

It is has the premium package so no F sport appearance parts, navigation or LED headlights.

I have read about possible EGR issues and oil consumption but given the low mileage, I assume I should be fine for a while.

I know I am probably not doing all my due diligence by not getting a full report on the car but given the track record of these cars and the low mileage, I am taking the risk as I have been looking for a while and had to beat out a number of other buyers.

My commute is less than 10 minutes in the morning and involves pretty steep hill right off the bat. I know this will affect my MPG.

When I get the car, what should I be doing in terms of maintenance immediately to be safe? I am intending to keep the car for many years.

Looking forward to any comments from everyone here. Thank you in advance for any advice.
Old 05-07-19, 08:44 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,571 Posts

I would probably change the transaxle fluid and that's it. But at 20k miles, it may not even be that big of a deal.

Really there's nothing to "check" as to the hybrid system. It either works or it doesn't. At 20k miles and 7 years of service, the car should have 7 oil changes on record. One for each year. You can ask the dealer to see if they have records of this (not sure if they're willing to give it to you)

For my car, I bought it used. 2015 F Sport. I saw on car fax that it had reports of being serviced at Lexus. So after buying the car, I went on lexusdrivers.com and registered my car. And saw that it had all its required services (basically 4 oil changes) performed on time at a Lexus dealer in northern california. Really the car needs nothing else at your mileage so short of a test drive, there's nothing really to "check." The hybrid works or it doesn't.

I'd be more concerned about things you can see with your eyes like body work, interior, rust etc.

This is probably (along w/ the prius) one of the more "nothing to check" cars out there since they need so little maintenance. you just push the start button, shift to the "d" position and drive off. Just drive it and make sure it doesn't make any excess noises. (keep in mind its a hybrid so it will buzz and whirr a bit more than other cars) particularly when braking and taking off as the car switches from gas to electric and back.
Old 05-07-19, 07:07 PM
ninebosox
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for your input. Puts my mind at ease.

Looking forward to learning more from the contributors here.
Old 05-08-19, 09:54 PM
KKM
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I would also check the air and engine filters and change those, probably original.
Old 05-08-19, 10:07 PM
ninebosox
Driver School Candidate

Thanx. I already called my mechanic (he is a hybrid fan - has a Camry hybrid) to look into the transmission and brake fluid. The cabin and engine air filters look dead easy to change so I will do those myself.

Who makes the filters for Toyota? Should I just get from dealer? I am coming from a BMW and could buy the exact same oil and air filters without the BMW box for significantly less.
Old 05-09-19, 07:55 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Yep. lifetime BMW owner and forum veteran here.

Toyota makes their own oil filters AFAIK. So no, no Mann or Mahle equivalent. But there are OEM japanese companies that make air filters. I think I got my Denso air filters for $6 on rockauto. Also Aisin may make some.

The Toyota stuff is cheap anyway. I got a 3 pack on ebay for like $12. From a Toyota dealer that has ebay accounts (there's tons of them.) Lexus dealers too.
Old 05-09-19, 08:46 AM
ninebosox
Driver School Candidate

Thanx. I don't mind getting the Toyota ones but they are expensive up here in Canada.

Air filter is $25 Cdn (just under $20 US) and the cabin one is $50 Cdn ($40 US).

Any chance you can share a link to a Toyota eBay dealer?
Old 05-09-19, 09:19 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

I'm in the US so it probably wouldn't matter to you since shipping to Canada would be a lot.