CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

quick CT Maintenance questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-16, 05:07 PM
oso11
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick CT Maintenance questions

hey all, new ct owner just picked it up Saturday for the wife.

looking to do maintenance on it had few questions about what to get for these items:

- what oil and filter (brand and weight)
- spark plugs
- intake filter
- cabin filter
- trans fluid
- diff fluid
- what tire psi to run

thanks all in advance for any help you can provide
Old 06-30-16, 07:50 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by oso11

looking to do maintenance on it had few questions about what to get for these items:

- spark plugs
- intake filter
- cabin filter
- trans fluid
- diff fluid
- what tire psi to run

Oil & Filter: Toyota 0W20 and Toyota filter. You can use any 0W20, but TGMO is top-tier and I can get mine at my Toyota dealer for about 6 bucks per qt in bulk. You can use a quality filter by Wix or Mahn. They are quality filters

Spark Plugs: DO NOT USE ANYTHING BUT DENSO!! Trust me on this. Bosch, NGK, etc will give you grief. This has been tested and reviewed several times on numerous Lexus forums. For whatever reason, anything but a Denso plug has triggered SES lights, rough idles, etc, In one case, a member had to make some expensive repairs.

Intake Filter: I use a quality filter for the engine filter. I've used NAPA Gold.

Cabin Filter: I buy mine on Ebay. I pay about 5 bucks with free delivery and they're charcoal. This is where I skimp on price. It's just a cabin filter after all and doesn't effect engine function. That said, the filter looks to be very good quality.

Trans fluid: This needs to be done by Toyota as the system needs to be hooked up to Techstream for temperature monitoring while topping-up etc. My dealer charges me 149 bucks.

AS for PSI....always go by what's on your door jamb. Unless you're running non stock wheel sizes and tires, that's the proper pressure and will give you the best balance between ride quality, fuel economy and tire longevity.
Old 07-01-16, 11:20 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,098 Likes on 937 Posts

I had a CT200h for 2 years and changed the transmission fluid. It is easy and actually the same procedure on my replacement HS250h.

I agree with everything except the transmission part. This transmission is a simple drain and fill. No need for Techstream. It is not your typical automatic transmission and is a very simple device. You drain out between 3 and 4 quarts, then fill it back up until fluid comes out the fill hole. Just like a manual transmission or differential. Only use Toyota WS ATF.
I am sure this has been discussed before, but this may help

http://www.greenhybrid.com/forums/f4...nge-tch-16715/

Last edited by Clutchless; 07-01-16 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-09-16, 11:37 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by oso11

- spark plugs
- intake filter
- cabin filter
- trans fluid
- diff fluid
- what tire psi to run

I run OEM on both, because a case of oil 12L & OEM filter cost me 89$ with taxes. This does my camry & CT200.

Spark plugs, OEM Denso or NGK... I have to ask - why? Does the car already have 192k on it? That's what the manual calls for... I know it's extreme, I will be changing it ~120k, like most REGULAR Lexus'

Intake/Cabin - whatever is cheaper on rockauto... I usually end up spending a whole 30$ with shipping for two of each. I get the cheapest since I change them a lot more frequently than the car calls for. Pronto is the cheap brand.

Trans/diff - same thing in this case, as it is CVT - I would run OEM or a TRIED & tested Aftermarket equivalent. Allegedly, unlike traditional transmissions, a 'drain & fill' on this car changes almost 100% of the fluid, where standard is around 60% at best...

Tires - look at door jamb

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Oil & Filter: Toyota 0W20 and Toyota filter. You can use any 0W20, but TGMO is top-tier and I can get mine at my Toyota dealer for about 6 bucks per qt in bulk. You can use a quality filter by Wix or Mahn. They are quality filters

Spark Plugs: DO NOT USE ANYTHING BUT DENSO!! Trust me on this. Bosch, NGK, etc will give you grief. This has been tested and reviewed several times on numerous Lexus forums. For whatever reason, anything but a Denso plug has triggered SES lights, rough idles, etc, In one case, a member had to make some expensive repairs.

Intake Filter: I use a quality filter for the engine filter. I've used NAPA Gold.

Cabin Filter: I buy mine on Ebay. I pay about 5 bucks with free delivery and they're charcoal. This is where I skimp on price. It's just a cabin filter after all and doesn't effect engine function. That said, the filter looks to be very good quality.

Trans fluid: This needs to be done by Toyota as the system needs to be hooked up to Techstream for temperature monitoring while topping-up etc. My dealer charges me 149 bucks.

AS for PSI....always go by what's on your door jamb. Unless you're running non stock wheel sizes and tires, that's the proper pressure and will give you the best balance between ride quality, fuel economy and tire longevity.
I agree with mostly. I'd argue the Denso only... I run NGK in two of the toyota's at home, wouldn't hesitate again. The old Lexus called for some discontinued number or something. Basically a huge PITA to track so I got the "best" ones from Partsource, made by NGK as long as they were iridium they were good.

Originally Posted by Clutchless
I had a CT200h for 2 years and changed the transmission fluid. It is easy and actually the same procedure on my replacement HS250h.

I agree with everything except the transmission part. This transmission is a simple drain and fill. No need for Techstream. It is not your typical automatic transmission and is a very simple device. You drain out between 3 and 4 quarts, then fill it back up until fluid comes out the fill hole. Just like a manual transmission or differential. Only use Toyota WS ATF.
I am sure this has been discussed before, but this may help
Does the CT200h not take it's "special" CVT fluid? I thought WS ATF is the standard for all generic Lexus/toyota cars out there that are non-CVT.....

Last edited by 01LEXPL; 07-09-16 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-11-16, 07:12 AM
yeldogt
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you not get a manual?

Is this new? if not ..... miles?

I often get my parts from an online dealer -- Toyota maintenance parts are high quality and not expensive. Sometimes when I'm ordering from a place like AutohausAZ -- I will toss in a couple filters to hit the $75 free ship amount.

The OE spark plugs and oil are no more money, and the filters are only a couple dollars more. If the car is new or still has the OE wiper blades == get the Toyota inserts when they need replacing. The Denso inserts are very high quality -- as is the OE frame.
Old 07-11-16, 10:29 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,098 Likes on 937 Posts

The CT200h takes Toyota WS ATF, same as any other Lexus automatic transmission. It is not a CVT but a far simpler design with electric motors inside. If you want to know more go to www.priuschat.com

Again, did you not get a manual? Or visit the Lexus web page?