LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

K&N filter vs OEM paper filter & maintenance recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-07, 08:54 AM
DCLexus
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default K&N filter vs OEM paper filter & maintenance recommendations

Is there any peformance advantage to changing to a K&N filter over a clean OEM paper filter?

Also, my car, a 1996' LS, has 45k miles on it. Do the plugs need changed? What about the fuel filter? Coolant? (looks very clean/red)

I've already changed the tranny fluid (OEM Toyota fluid), Oil/Filter (Mobil 1 synthetic), and differential fluid (Valvoline synthetic).

Thanks.
Old 02-21-07, 04:12 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't believe your low mileage.

Supposedly the K&N allows for more air which gives a bit more power and fuel economy. Many folks here are using it. You have to oil the filter every know and then and it is good for 1 million miles. I am going to switch when mine is due.

I changed my plugs at 100k miles. I don't believe you need to change them due to age unless they are fowling, etc.

I have never changed my fuel filter (1995 LS). The engine coolant I flush every 30k miles and only use Toyota long life.

I have used Mobil 1 SYN since new and the car still drives like new. Best oil out there.
Old 02-21-07, 05:47 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Your Lexus dealer will have a booklet detailing the various service interval maintenance. Unless you have all the service records, you've covered most fluids. Just change the PS and you'll be good. Plugs are at the 60K but if you want to, you could change them.

As for the K&N...numerous threads about them here and other car forums. YMMV I removed mine in favor of the OEM paper. Cleaning the K&N is a 2 hour ordeal. OEM is about 10 minutes to R&R.
Old 02-21-07, 06:04 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

ive got ideas for designing a bracket to hold an Apex'i filter in the stock housing, as soon as i finish my Aux. input stuff thats net on the list
Old 02-22-07, 07:37 PM
Harky
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RA40
Your Lexus dealer will have a booklet detailing the various service interval maintenance. Unless you have all the service records, you've covered most fluids. Just change the PS and you'll be good. Plugs are at the 60K but if you want to, you could change them.

As for the K&N...numerous threads about them here and other car forums. YMMV I removed mine in favor of the OEM paper. Cleaning the K&N is a 2 hour ordeal. OEM is about 10 minutes to R&R.
Actually...If DCL has a complete owners manual binder, the maintenence items and intervals are listed out to 150K mi. (I got a binder with mine.)
All the parts and fluid changes as well as system checks are noted. Very helpful. It's a separate booklet from the Owners Manual. It's called Scheduled Maintenance and General Information.

Also, I doubt that a filter change will help much. The intake air system on the LS4's is pretty well designed to breath cool air from the intake grille. A fresh paper filter (stock) is pretty large with lots of surface area, so the only time that a non-stock filter "may" show an advantage is at high RPM when the engine is drawing maximum air volume. Unless you wind your baby up tight regularly, your wasting your money.

Last edited by Harky; 02-22-07 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-22-07, 09:30 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

actualy no, the stock intake is quite restrictive up until the air filter. the snorkel kinda makes the motor drink through a straw
Old 02-22-07, 09:47 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok, so this has been making me wonder, but whats better? We have the imfamous J-Brady intake, and the Lexkost K/N set-up. I know Jbradys is cheaper, with the cardboard (haha) and cut housing, but is there a difference between the two?
Old 02-22-07, 10:18 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

the Lexkost mod is more on de-restricting the intake and is a lot more "smog-friendly" since u can instantly reverse back.

the JBrady intake is a bit different as it adds in a cold charge intake into the mix.

i dislike oil filters and amd going to use a big round piece of plexi or lexan to make a bracket for the Apex'i filter (since its both a better filter and flows more than most others, incl. K&N and HKS). i could make another at the same time if ur interested
Old 02-22-07, 10:47 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
the Lexkost mod is more on de-restricting the intake and is a lot more "smog-friendly" since u can instantly reverse back.

the JBrady intake is a bit different as it adds in a cold charge intake into the mix.

i dislike oil filters and amd going to use a big round piece of plexi or lexan to make a bracket for the Apex'i filter (since its both a better filter and flows more than most others, incl. K&N and HKS). i could make another at the same time if ur interested
Actually, I may have to hit you up on that one! Don't you have the J-Brady mod done to yours? I guess you could do a bit of both if you wanted something pretty unique.
Old 02-26-07, 09:17 PM
Hit Man X
Driver

Thumbs up

Stick to paper, change it every 10-15k. Filtration is F A R superior over the K&N. There isn't anything to be gained with it. You can hack your intake box if you want a bit more power.

I am still trying to see if there is any reflash for the PCM

Fuel filters I do ever 10-15k too, they're cheap.

Plugs every 25k with copper core. You can go further with a Platinum or Iridium.

Consider caps/rotors.

Most under hood rubber, it's over ten years old... regardless of mileage. Same for the timing belt.

Coolant yearly, it's cheap and easy.
Old 02-26-07, 10:34 PM
DCLexus
Rookie

Just curious about your comment that the paper filter is far superior. Are you saying that the K&N dosen't do a good job filtering the air? I've seen many hi performance cars and almost all of them use the K&N or some type of oiled filter.

Thanks.
Old 02-26-07, 10:41 PM
Hit Man X
Driver

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DCLexus
Just curious about your comment that the paper filter is far superior. Are you saying that the K&N dosen't do a good job filtering the air? I've seen many hi performance cars and almost all of them use the K&N or some type of oiled filter.

Thanks.

Doesn't filter well is an understatement. Go search around and you will see the pics of one under a microscope... the holes are HUGE.

I've owned and do own performance rides, you don't see enough gains to warrant the silica ingestion into the motor. Run it without a filter, with the K&N, then with a paper... you won't see difference worth noting.

Paper or the newer Amsoil nano-fiber are the only to consider.
Old 02-27-07, 05:17 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I decided to go with OEM rather than K&N - don't like having to oil, etc. the paper element. I did Lexkost's intake mod and who knows if I gained power but it definitely gets more air - sound better also.
Old 02-28-07, 09:16 AM
DCLexus
Rookie

Is oiling the filter really that big of a problem for people? I've had K&N filters on many vehicles (cars and motorcycles) and taking an hour to clean it once a year really dosen't seem like that big of an ordeal. I never knew about the filtering issues, but the cleaning part has never been a problem for me.
Old 02-28-07, 01:31 PM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Stick with OEM which is paper. I there were any advantages to a K&N, it would come from the factory that way.

On the other hand, K&N makes a GREAT oil filter.... but that's for another thread!

Quick Reply: K&N filter vs OEM paper filter & maintenance recommendations