CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

The right car for me ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-11, 05:17 AM
nbreau
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The right car for me ?

Just to quickly sum it up, was previously an impreza wagon owner and loved it, but it got too small when my daughter was born (22 months old now with another one due in July) so we traded in for an escape. I've now come across some cash so looking for a 2nd vehicle. Going to keep the escape as our larger travel/family outing vehicle and thinking of the 200h as the "get stuff done around town, back and forth to work" 2nd car ...

Based on the reviews people seem to love this vehicle or hate it ... the ones that arrive in town here are sold right away so i haven't even had a chance to see it in person or drive one, but i like the pics and the specs. I'm not concerned with power/speed anymore, safety is the priority now and most of the driving is in city.

So my question is, any reason based on the above that I wouldn't want this vehicle, or is there any other vehicle i should consider ? I think it's between this and a lower hp'd impreza but looking for more reccomendations...
thanks,
Nick.
Old 04-14-11, 07:12 AM
dkidwell
Rookie

You are going to have to see and drive one before you can make a decision. We can tell you how great they are, but you will have to experience it for your self. We can't tell you if it will fit your family or life style. You are the only one that can do that.
Old 04-14-11, 11:42 AM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

What year/model impreza wagon?

The CT has less cargo room, is slightly slower than a 4EAT 2.5l Subaru, and less back seat room (although about the same back seat room as a 93-01 Impreza wagon) but handles better and has a far superior interior with excellent gas mileage of course.
Old 04-14-11, 12:37 PM
Matt_RN
Banned for Life

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Definitely a small car. Not a good fit if you're planning on hauling family around.
Old 04-14-11, 01:31 PM
nbreau
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by matttom
Definitely a small car. Not a good fit if you're planning on hauling family around.
We've got an escape for hauling the fam around and longer trips, will prob put a single car seat in the back of this one, this is more of my daily commute vehicle.
Old 04-14-11, 01:33 PM
nbreau
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kostamojen
What year/model impreza wagon?

The CT has less cargo room, is slightly slower than a 4EAT 2.5l Subaru, and less back seat room (although about the same back seat room as a 93-01 Impreza wagon) but handles better and has a far superior interior with excellent gas mileage of course.
a 2.5i as well as a TS, was very happy with both, but ready for something new and ready to trade in the hp for luxury and fuel economy.
Old 04-14-11, 01:51 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 117 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by nbreau
Just to quickly sum it up, was previously an impreza wagon owner and loved it, but it got too small when my daughter was born (22 months old now with another one due in July) so we traded in for an escape. I've now come across some cash so looking for a 2nd vehicle. Going to keep the escape as our larger travel/family outing vehicle and thinking of the 200h as the "get stuff done around town, back and forth to work" 2nd car ...

Based on the reviews people seem to love this vehicle or hate it ... the ones that arrive in town here are sold right away so i haven't even had a chance to see it in person or drive one, but i like the pics and the specs. I'm not concerned with power/speed anymore, safety is the priority now and most of the driving is in city.

So my question is, any reason based on the above that I wouldn't want this vehicle, or is there any other vehicle i should consider ? I think it's between this and a lower hp'd impreza but looking for more reccomendations...
thanks,
Nick.
if you were annoyed with subaru interior and rattles but loved its reliability, you will love ct200h... it is true lexus.
Old 04-14-11, 02:46 PM
nbreau
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by spwolf
if you were annoyed with subaru interior and rattles but loved its reliability, you will love ct200h... it is true lexus.
Glad to hear that... although I question the reliability of the impreza i had somewhat, had a few issues (all under warranty luckily) including the head gasket that went with just 2 weeks left in its warranty.

I put a small deposit down on the 200h this afternoon, the dealer said if i dont like the vehicle once i test drive it he would refund the deposit, starfire white with premium package, no need for the fancy nav where I live.
Old 04-14-11, 04:24 PM
cenix
Driver

congrats on your choice. the impreza hatch is larger than the ct200h as far as cargo space is concerned. but since you're talking about daily commuting with some versatility, i think you will like the ct200h as long as you don't compare the performance of the motor to the impreza/wrx.
Old 04-14-11, 07:07 PM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

Compaired to a 2.5i or TS, the CT is a great car. As mentioned, the interior is fantastic (as well as the seats which are pure awesome) compared to Subaru's, and the mileage will be about double what you are getting in the 2.5i.

You won't have to worry about the headgaskets failing (common problem with the Subaru non-turbo 2.5's, but actually being fixed with the new FB motors in the 2012 models) since the CT uses the Prius drivetrain, which the motor actually doesn't seem to have headgaskets in the traditional sense, and doesn't have timing belts or drive-belts either so far less maintenance there. PLUS 10,000 mile oil changes instead of Subaru's 3000 mile oil changes.

Of course, you will loose AWD and some space, but its not enough to be concerned about as long as you have another family hauler in the garage.
Old 04-15-11, 03:09 AM
nbreau
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kostamojen
Compaired to a 2.5i or TS, the CT is a great car. As mentioned, the interior is fantastic (as well as the seats which are pure awesome) compared to Subaru's, and the mileage will be about double what you are getting in the 2.5i.

You won't have to worry about the headgaskets failing (common problem with the Subaru non-turbo 2.5's, but actually being fixed with the new FB motors in the 2012 models) since the CT uses the Prius drivetrain, which the motor actually doesn't seem to have headgaskets in the traditional sense, and doesn't have timing belts or drive-belts either so far less maintenance there. PLUS 10,000 mile oil changes instead of Subaru's 3000 mile oil changes.

Of course, you will loose AWD and some space, but its not enough to be concerned about as long as you have another family hauler in the garage.

Thanks everyone, you've eased any doubts I've had about getting this vehicle ! Can't wait to take ownership next month.
Old 04-15-11, 11:03 AM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Congratulations on making a deposit on the CT 200h. I agree with dkidwell. You're going to have to test drive it for yourself to see if this car is a good fit with you. So far I love my CT 200h and the great gas mileage is great. I do notice over time my mpg is getting better and better...
Old 04-19-11, 08:40 AM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by nbreau

thanks,
Nick.
I'm in the same boat as you. Honestly there is no reason to get a ct200h for your situation.

Why

1. COST: 35k or maybe more due to high demand (a fad). For comparable money you can purchase a certified used REAL Luxury car GS350/S80/E350.

2. GAS: Its simple math you save no money on gas with almost a $500 dollar a month car payment unless you plan to pay the vehicle off.

3. SAFETY: It has all the stadards airbags, TC, ABS cool. Still its a small car.

4. SPACE: Its tight. I'm 6'2 and had to move the seat all the way back. Kids with seat in the back kept kicking my seat and complaining it was too tight.
Trunk space is not as roomy and standard hatches like a 3 or Golf.

Recommendations:

2011 S60 T5: You want a safe car for around 30K with luxury and average gas mileage. Test drive a 2011 S60 T5. You get BLIS, city safety etc.. standard with the Volvo and it gets 26 combined city/highway. Car has good space and the best seats PERIOD!

07/08 Certified used GS350: You want a car with a Lexus badge get a GS350 no one can deny it is true luxury. With the current market there are bargains on this 50k+ new masterpiece from Lexus. In my opinion its crazy to spend 35k plus on a Prius looking Mazda3 hybrid when you can say yeah I drive a GS.

Bottom line:

You want a real hatch get a 10 - 11 Mazda 3 or Mazdaspeed 3. If safety is a concern and commute comfort get a 2011 T5 volvo s60.

I say LEAVE THE CT ALONE AND GET A GS350!!!!

Last edited by lexmenow; 04-19-11 at 08:45 AM.
Old 04-19-11, 02:27 PM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

You are comparing full-sized sedans to a compact hatch. Sounds like the OP wants to stay with a small car. And the Mazda has ****-poor MPG compared to other compacts, better off recommending a 2012 Focus instead (just as good of handling, much better MPG)

Plus, he doesn't have to get the high-end CT. He can get a base model (<$30k) and be perfectly happy considering how many items are standard with the car compared to an older Subaru wagon.
Old 04-19-11, 04:52 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 117 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by lexmenow
I'm in the same boat as you. Honestly there is no reason to get a ct200h for your situation.

Why

1. COST: 35k or maybe more due to high demand (a fad). For comparable money you can purchase a certified used REAL Luxury car GS350/S80/E350.

2. GAS: Its simple math you save no money on gas with almost a $500 dollar a month car payment unless you plan to pay the vehicle off.

3. SAFETY: It has all the stadards airbags, TC, ABS cool. Still its a small car.

4. SPACE: Its tight. I'm 6'2 and had to move the seat all the way back. Kids with seat in the back kept kicking my seat and complaining it was too tight.
Trunk space is not as roomy and standard hatches like a 3 or Golf.

Recommendations:

2011 S60 T5: You want a safe car for around 30K with luxury and average gas mileage. Test drive a 2011 S60 T5. You get BLIS, city safety etc.. standard with the Volvo and it gets 26 combined city/highway. Car has good space and the best seats PERIOD!

07/08 Certified used GS350: You want a car with a Lexus badge get a GS350 no one can deny it is true luxury. With the current market there are bargains on this 50k+ new masterpiece from Lexus. In my opinion its crazy to spend 35k plus on a Prius looking Mazda3 hybrid when you can say yeah I drive a GS.

Bottom line:

You want a real hatch get a 10 - 11 Mazda 3 or Mazdaspeed 3. If safety is a concern and commute comfort get a 2011 T5 volvo s60.

I say LEAVE THE CT ALONE AND GET A GS350!!!!
how are you in the same boat as him? in another thread you were trying to explain to me that people are crazy to spend more than 7k on daily beater.

Quick Reply: The right car for me ?