Club Lexus Vendor Marketplace The place to find group buys and great deals from ClubLexus' supporting vendors.

Group Buy On 2001+ HeadLight Lenses?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-02, 11:25 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Group Buy On 2001+ HeadLight Lenses?

Okay, I've read numerous times on here that people are complaining about moisture/dirt INSIDE the GS's headlight lenses. Now some of you guys have warranty and have no problem replacing them. Then there are some of us on here who doesn't have warranty anymore(like me). I have spoken to a couple of moderators on here and they thought it was a good idea to start a group buy on the 2001+ headlight lenses. Its not the whole headlight assembly, just the lenses to replace our crappy dirty ones. Also the 01 lights have a greenish tint to them which I like alot .

I just emailed lexus-parts.com with that idea, hopefully it would be a success. Hey, the 01 tailights was a major success right? So I don't see why the headlights wouldn't be either.

What do you guys think??
Old 11-13-02, 12:21 AM
Lexus of Manhattan
Lexus Dealership

Default Re: Group Buy On 2001+ HeadLight Lenses?

Originally posted by DIESELMAN63
Also the 01 lights have a greenish tint to them which I like alot .
I believe the greenish tint was from '02 an up, not '01. I don't recall seeing the tint on the '01 I'm getting.. I'll double check and get back to you..
Eddie
Old 11-13-02, 12:32 AM
MRGS400nSoCali
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Count me in on a group buy for the passanger side headlight.
Old 11-13-02, 01:15 AM
ChuH
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

'01 and up does have the greenish tint.

Chu...
Old 11-13-02, 02:23 AM
acnup00tl
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Will they go on a 98 gs300 with Hid leveler. I was gonna replace the headlights until I found out the dealer wants almost 3gs for new headlights. Can you just buy new headlights and take out the leveling system and stick them in new headlights?
Old 11-13-02, 09:36 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Okay from what I read/asked, the 01-02 LENSES will fit into pre 01 gs's. Its like plug and play just like the 01 tailights.

Acnup, I think the dealer wanted to make some money off you so he can go away on vacation .

To my knowledge(someone correct me plz if I am wrong), there are two different sets of lenses. One set is for GS's with factory xenon and the other set of lenses is for the non-HID gs's.

These lenses goes for around $600 for the pair at the dealers if I am not mistaken. I really believe this will be a well-worth group buy !!
Old 11-13-02, 02:59 PM
Lexus of Manhattan
Lexus Dealership

Yep, the '01's have the tint. Only thing is, it seems like the '01's don't have as green a tint as the other cars, It might just be me..
Ed
Old 11-13-02, 03:57 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd probably be in. A couple of questions though:

1.) What's the ballpark range for the new ones without a GB?
2.) Also, do we have a pricing structure as a GB?
3.) What about the seal? How does it work?
4.) Plug & Play, but for who? A body shop?

TIA
Old 11-13-02, 04:13 PM
JacobT

It's not as easy as plug and play. I have replaced my driver's side headlight. You need to remove the level motor/HID blaster and re-attach them to the new housing. The wires are re-routed inside the case so you need to disconnect the plug to get the wiring out.

It took me about 45 minutes and still not as good as stock ones.

Old 11-13-02, 04:16 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Group Buy On 2001+ HeadLight Lenses?

Originally posted by DIESELMAN63
Its not the whole headlight assembly, just the lenses to replace our crappy dirty ones.
Originally posted by JacobT
It's not as easy as plug and play. I have replaced my driver's side headlight.
You echo my concern as well, but I think we are just tallking about the lenses.
Old 11-13-02, 04:48 PM
JacobT

$600 for a pair of clear plastic lenses? Are you kidding me? I paid $320 at he dealer for the whole assembly.

If you just want to replace the lense, cutting out the old one and seal really good on the new one is probably some professional expert's job.

I'd say replace the whole assembly is the right way to go.

Old 11-13-02, 05:17 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

drill a 3/16 hole under the headlight and you will never have the condensation again.
Old 11-13-02, 05:47 PM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys,
I have already done this mod to my car about 6 months ago. I know for a fact that the new 01 lense has a tint to it and has some more chrome/mirror in the housing assembly than the 98-00 models.

This is why the 01 GS with HID's look brighter and more vibrant.

If you have HID on your old model, the new 01 assembly is plug and play and autleveling even works on the new unit.

Also, the housing assembly is better sealed on the 01 and newer untits in comparison to the older units.

I bought my housing assembly for around $300 bucks/EACH. This does not include any bulbs, ballast or anything, just the lense assembly. For $320 you get an extra leveling feature. Not really important. So for 2 lense assemblies $600 sounds right.
Just remember if you go this route, you will have to swap out the guts from your old assemblies. This is simple but can turn ugly if not done right.

For $600/each if you get the HID bulb, ballast and newer lense assembly than thats a DEAL. The last time I check the full assembly like this was going for about $1100/each.

Good luck on the group buy and if you need information give me a shout out
Old 11-13-02, 10:41 PM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs down ###HANG ON GUYS###

Hold up guys. Before you go spending that kind of cash thinking you will be getting green tinted lenses, I'd suggest looking a little closer at an '01 and up headlight.
As I said in another post, the lens is NOT whats tinted. It is the chrome trim inside the headlight that has the tint on it. If you look very closely at the light assembly, you'll notice that all the chrome inside the headlight looks slightly green except the HID reflector which is just chrome. It's so subtle that it appears the lens is tinted, but trust me it's not.
Just hoping to save some folks from getting something they weren't expecting.
Old 11-13-02, 11:13 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up Good call Eric

Yes, I went out and look at my car. The green tint is from the housing( under the ring arond the big ring), not from the lense. Good call Eric on this one, I've never notice it before until you've said something.
To replace those headlights(properly), I suggest to remove the front bumper. If you have the HID, this is the safe way to do it without messing up your bumper.

Quick Reply: Group Buy On 2001+ HeadLight Lenses?