CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Official SoCal tint thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-09, 07:09 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

can't believe dude let you take a picture of him tinting your windshield. when I used to get my windshield done, it had to be all secretive....only cash, no receipt and only installer and myself allowed in the workshop while he was doing it.
Old 08-21-09, 09:57 AM
sanguine
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
can't believe dude let you take a picture of him tinting your windshield. when I used to get my windshield done, it had to be all secretive....only cash, no receipt and only installer and myself allowed in the workshop while he was doing it.
I didn't really ask =]
Old 09-03-09, 01:57 PM
djduckii
Pole Position

Default good cheap tint shops

hey, anyone know any really good tint places that are pretty cheap with a lifetime warranty?

the cheapest i found was in $175 all windows with a lifetime :P

and $90 bucks for all window 5 year warranty.

what would u guys go with?
Old 09-03-09, 02:49 PM
edwinbong
Lead Lap

california tint in rosemead
Old 09-03-09, 02:50 PM
alpha318
Driver School Candidate

Where in SoCal are you located?

Tint isn't one of those things I go cheap on. I used to tint, so I know what you get for cheap.

A 5 year warranty typically comes with dyed film. This is the film that you see turn purple after a few years and typically bubble as they get older. I don't recommend dyed film unless you plan on changing it within a couple years. Certain colors may only be available in a dyed film, if that's what you are looking for.

If you are looking for your typical smoked tint look, I would recommend either a fully metallized film or extruded dyed film. Extruded dyed film has reduced metal content, and will therefore, not interfere with navigation systems. Both fully metallized film and extruded dyed film typically carry a lifetime warranty.

There is also ceramic film. Ceramic film carries a lifetime warranty, is thicker, but is also more expensive. It won't interfere with navigation. You will also get IR protection on top of UV protection, and better heat rejection at lighter shades.

That being said, I'm thinking about getting my cars tinted as well, and am starting to look for some shops as well.

My recommendation is to find a shop that is reputable, will warranty their workmanship and not just warranty the film, and you feel comfortable with them doing the work. They should carry a number of brands, depending what the customer is looking for. The tinter should be comfortable with spending time with you to help you decide what you need and want.

Are you looking for heat rejection, privacy, or both?
Old 09-03-09, 02:57 PM
J_Hao
Driver

Originally Posted by edwinbong
+1 ! :
reasonable price with good work!
Old 09-03-09, 03:38 PM
GoCatGo11
Pole Position

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by edwinbong
Old 09-03-09, 03:41 PM
DixonPai
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

California tint is one
but i rently went to tint zone on colima in the 636 area
got done for 130 with life time warranty
Old 09-03-09, 03:57 PM
Thr3350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by alpha318

Tint isn't one of those things I go cheap on. I used to tint, so I know what you get for cheap.

There is also ceramic film. Ceramic film carries a lifetime warranty, is thicker, but is also more expensive. It won't interfere with navigation. You will also get IR protection on top of UV protection, and better heat rejection at lighter shades.

That being said, I'm thinking about getting my cars tinted as well, and am starting to look for some shops as well.

My recommendation is to find a shop that is reputable, will warranty their workmanship and not just warranty the film, and you feel comfortable with them doing the work. They should carry a number of brands, depending what the customer is looking for. The tinter should be comfortable with spending time with you to help you decide what you need and want.

I recently had mine done with ceramic film. It's more expensive but I didn't want to cheap out on it and have it interfere with the navi. I paid 220 w/ lifetime warranty.
Old 09-03-09, 09:47 PM
djduckii
Pole Position

Originally Posted by alpha318

A 5 year warranty typically comes with dyed film. This is the film that you see turn purple after a few years and typically bubble as they get older. I don't recommend dyed film unless you plan on changing it within a couple years. Certain colors may only be available in a dyed film, if that's what you are looking for.

If you are looking for your typical smoked tint look, I would recommend either a fully metallized film or extruded dyed film. Extruded dyed film has reduced metal content, and will therefore, not interfere with navigation systems. Both fully metallized film and extruded dyed film typically carry a lifetime warranty.

hmmm i was thinking of getting the solar guard or the stuff they use here http://www.thetintpros.com/auto_tint.php
im not sure what type of tint the shop for 175 charges but im in garden grove so i can go to a lot of places.

Originally Posted by DixonPai
California tint is one
but i rently went to tint zone on colima in the 636 area
got done for 130 with life time warranty
was it all windows? and how long did they take?
Old 09-04-09, 10:05 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

I've had work done at California Tint in Rosemead, and they do great work at even better prices. Only problem is they're extremely popular, so if you go on a Saturday you have to show up at 6 in the morning to queue up.

Javier
Old 09-04-09, 10:21 AM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are in the valley, the SFV, I went to Tint Master City. $150 with lifetime warranty.
Old 09-04-09, 11:26 AM
DixonPai
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by djduckii
was it all windows? and how long did they take?
All 5, it probably took them an hour or so, i dropped it off at 9, they were about to start on my car, but the appointment came, then it was me. Picked it up at 12 and it was parked out side already.

He will charge you 140, but just say you found them on yelp $10 off
Old 09-04-09, 01:25 PM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

there is another thread of this...

and there are 2 places that I know do a window tint in K-town for $120 /lifetime w & in Buena Park / Stanton $150 /lifetime w
Old 09-04-09, 01:49 PM
djduckii
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DixonPai
All 5, it probably took them an hour or so, i dropped it off at 9, they were about to start on my car, but the appointment came, then it was me. Picked it up at 12 and it was parked out side already.

He will charge you 140, but just say you found them on yelp $10 off
oo hmmm but i want to get front and rears done not just the rear 5 windows lol

Quick Reply: Official SoCal tint thread