CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Imports@UCI Car Show SAT Feb 28th

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-09, 12:39 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by benxd
lol screw their judging. You don't need some morons to tell you your car is friggen fire. At least we all got some free pizza+Redbull and got to make fun of the ricers together.
You guys are referring to this one right?

Old 03-02-09, 11:58 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by benxd
lol screw their judging. You don't need some morons to tell you your car is friggen fire. At least we all got some free pizza+Redbull and got to make fun of the ricers together.
+1

don't forget the free sodas.

Originally Posted by xknowonex
You guys are referring to this one right?

were they giving out the award for the most "fail" mod?
Old 03-02-09, 11:56 PM
ARISTO 161
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation Please read this!

Hey guys,
Sorry I haven't chimed in till now.
As some of you know, I was not at the show, I've been working full time in China, and have left UCI and the club. I only hold an Advisor's position in Imports@UCI now.

This year, I have only helped out with making the flyer for the show: http://picasaweb.google.com/wuesteba...eat=directlink
And I helped out in any planning that I could from China, over the Internet.
I am very close friends with all the officers and members of I@U, http://www.importsuci.com , considering I was President last year. And I was very happy to see that the show was a success, in it's 3rd year, it has been the biggest so far. The sad thing is, I was in China.

When I saw the photos I was so happy to see there were a bunch of Lexus's that came out; in the last two years only an IS or two and my GS come out. So I was really glad for CL's turnout.

Now, after the fun was had, I see some offsetting comments.

The toyota who cut you off could have been anyone who had gotten their hands on our stickers, but they deserve to be punished for driving violently.

And about these negative "ricer" comments, I expect more respect from you guys! You guys should be embarrassed for posting these horribly comments. I don't care if thats what you think, but you shouldn't be so mean on the forum where the public can see it. Keep it to yourself.

Just so you guys know:

Our biggest struggle as a car club are some things you already know.
1) Everyone thinks we are street racers. The reality is: Our ideology is to persuade all of our members out of street racing if they do it. And the cure for hardcore street racers is taking them to the race track. I can't tell you how many teenager's atitudes we've changed regarding street racing and the consequences it has. So we are very proud of this. But unfortunately not everyone knows about our good deeds.

2)People think we are ricers. A very common stereotype that has its truths and its flaws. I used to be ricey, especially when I used to hang out with the CL guys in Rowland Heights back in Highschool. Now, after learning so much about cars and how modifications are really meant to work, with the help of the club, I am a much more informed and educated driver. At this show, not everyone is a member of I@U. And if our cars seemed ricey, its because we are broke college students trying to use whatever money we have from our part time job to make some kind of enjoyable mods to our cars, and still get our UCI degree.

About the judging, unfortunately some people disagree with the criteria and I agree. Having show experience myself, I can agree and disagree with what people are saying. The last two years I personally made sure that the cars that won were "Show worthy cars" and we had many more awards than this year as well as club officers. This year, the I@U officer staff was cut into 50%. So they tried to cut down on some things, and that includes the number of awards. I believe there was Best of Show, and Best of Show Student. Best of Show goes to anyone with the car that best meets the judge's criteria. Best of Show student has to go to a UCI student. This year, I was told that the officers outsourced the judging to the vendors that came to the show. The vendors chose the RX7 as the best of Show, and the Civic as Best Student. Unfortunately, the judges may have been misinformed about the criteria they should have used, the officers didnt at anytime decide on having "race ready cars" as the winners of a car show. I also heard that the homie in the SC was second runner up for the best of Student! Unfortunately he didnt get it. And the reason is probably because the driver of the civic has been a long time member of the club, had been to many of I@U's events, has always participated in all the Track days with I@U, and has a good relationship with many people in the area, perhaps the vendors as well. And the judges may have been incorrectly informed about a race ready criteria. Last year we had a separate award for race ready.

In the end, despite this little mishap, I still feel that the show was a great success. I hope that next year, the CL community can come out even stronger and I am sure they will win something, telling by the looks of the cars that showed up that won't be a problem.

Please consider all the work that the club does year round to make this event such a success. Its not easy to maintain a legitimate car club, with all the negative connotations that exist already about cars. Its a lot of work, the parking lot alone costs us $1,000 to use. And luckily we try our best to get funding from the campus government, and it's very competitive. We even gave everyone free Costco Pizza, drinks, and goodies. So even if you didn't win, we want everyone to feel welcomed. Our goal is to make a car show that you don't have to pay for, and to build up the auto community. And I think we do a good job at it. After all this, I hope that you won't make any more ridiculus comments towards the club and our members.

Thanks.

By the way, does anyone need a 2nd Gen GS 300/400/430 Greddy EvoII catback exhaust? brand new, picked up $600 in Irvine.

Thanks for your attention

Esteban
Old 03-03-09, 12:00 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

the only issue i had really was with the judging criteria, other than that i'd agree and say as a show, the event was a success. would have been nice to have some more awards but given the state of the economy it's understandable.
Old 03-03-09, 12:30 AM
ARISTO 161
Intermediate

haha, yea!

well, most of the OG officers graduated this past year, so it's been very difficult for new officers to perform just as good, but good enough nonetheless.
Old 03-03-09, 12:49 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

i bet, i'm going through paperwork finally starting a UCR sanctioned car club, now in the process of setting up for spring recruitment and dealing with campus about parking issues.

any one you can recco me as a contact at I@U? pm me please
Old 03-03-09, 12:20 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ARISTO 161
Hey guys,
Sorry I haven't chimed in till now.
As some of you know, I was not at the show, I've been working full time in China, and have left UCI and the club. I only hold an Advisor's position in Imports@UCI now.

This year, I have only helped out with making the flyer for the show: http://picasaweb.google.com/wuesteba...eat=directlink
And I helped out in any planning that I could from China, over the Internet.
I am very close friends with all the officers and members of I@U, http://www.importsuci.com , considering I was President last year. And I was very happy to see that the show was a success, in it's 3rd year, it has been the biggest so far. The sad thing is, I was in China.

When I saw the photos I was so happy to see there were a bunch of Lexus's that came out; in the last two years only an IS or two and my GS come out. So I was really glad for CL's turnout.

Now, after the fun was had, I see some offsetting comments.

The toyota who cut you off could have been anyone who had gotten their hands on our stickers, but they deserve to be punished for driving violently.

And about these negative "ricer" comments, I expect more respect from you guys! You guys should be embarrassed for posting these horribly comments. I don't care if thats what you think, but you shouldn't be so mean on the forum where the public can see it. Keep it to yourself.

Just so you guys know:

Our biggest struggle as a car club are some things you already know.
1) Everyone thinks we are street racers. The reality is: Our ideology is to persuade all of our members out of street racing if they do it. And the cure for hardcore street racers is taking them to the race track. I can't tell you how many teenager's atitudes we've changed regarding street racing and the consequences it has. So we are very proud of this. But unfortunately not everyone knows about our good deeds.

2)People think we are ricers. A very common stereotype that has its truths and its flaws. I used to be ricey, especially when I used to hang out with the CL guys in Rowland Heights back in Highschool. Now, after learning so much about cars and how modifications are really meant to work, with the help of the club, I am a much more informed and educated driver. At this show, not everyone is a member of I@U. And if our cars seemed ricey, its because we are broke college students trying to use whatever money we have from our part time job to make some kind of enjoyable mods to our cars, and still get our UCI degree.

About the judging, unfortunately some people disagree with the criteria and I agree. Having show experience myself, I can agree and disagree with what people are saying. The last two years I personally made sure that the cars that won were "Show worthy cars" and we had many more awards than this year as well as club officers. This year, the I@U officer staff was cut into 50%. So they tried to cut down on some things, and that includes the number of awards. I believe there was Best of Show, and Best of Show Student. Best of Show goes to anyone with the car that best meets the judge's criteria. Best of Show student has to go to a UCI student. This year, I was told that the officers outsourced the judging to the vendors that came to the show. The vendors chose the RX7 as the best of Show, and the Civic as Best Student. Unfortunately, the judges may have been misinformed about the criteria they should have used, the officers didnt at anytime decide on having "race ready cars" as the winners of a car show. I also heard that the homie in the SC was second runner up for the best of Student! Unfortunately he didnt get it. And the reason is probably because the driver of the civic has been a long time member of the club, had been to many of I@U's events, has always participated in all the Track days with I@U, and has a good relationship with many people in the area, perhaps the vendors as well. And the judges may have been incorrectly informed about a race ready criteria. Last year we had a separate award for race ready.

In the end, despite this little mishap, I still feel that the show was a great success. I hope that next year, the CL community can come out even stronger and I am sure they will win something, telling by the looks of the cars that showed up that won't be a problem.

Please consider all the work that the club does year round to make this event such a success. Its not easy to maintain a legitimate car club, with all the negative connotations that exist already about cars. Its a lot of work, the parking lot alone costs us $1,000 to use. And luckily we try our best to get funding from the campus government, and it's very competitive. We even gave everyone free Costco Pizza, drinks, and goodies. So even if you didn't win, we want everyone to feel welcomed. Our goal is to make a car show that you don't have to pay for, and to build up the auto community. And I think we do a good job at it. After all this, I hope that you won't make any more ridiculus comments towards the club and our members.

Thanks.

By the way, does anyone need a 2nd Gen GS 300/400/430 Greddy EvoII catback exhaust? brand new, picked up $600 in Irvine.

Thanks for your attention

Esteban
esteban,

first of all, thanks for chiming in on this thread. so far, this has been kept to those of us who were there at the meet/show - and a few who were supposed to go but didn't make it. to have someone with an extensive affiliation with imports@uci come in here and establish dialog with us shows that this thread has finally caught someone's attention.

it is evident that you have personal ties and affiliations with imports@uci, and it explains your defensive attitude toward our comments. having been a part of the executive board a student-run organization at another local university myself, i can relate that you would like to affirm and uphold the legitimacy and integrity of your organization. however, to misinterpret the direction and the intent of our comments is a whole different matter.

in regards to your attitude towards our "offsetting comments", do realize that they were not directed towards your organization but to those who showed up with what i call "home-baked" rides. having been a broke college student and as an owner of a modified import at the same time in the past, i understand how hard it is to do mods and keep it respectable and have fun all at the same time. however, by bringing a car to a meet/show like the one this past saturday they are subjecting their cars - and as an extension their taste and style - to open criticism. to put it bluntly, if they're gonna bring their cars to a meet/show, they better come with egos that can take a beating; they may like their mods and think it's cool, but not everyone will share in their affinity.

these online car forums are like the meet/show in the sense that everyone has a right to form and voice his or her own opinions - regardless of whether others do or don't like them. while quite a few of the cars that were brought out were very tastefully well done, some others exercised questionable taste, style, and/or creativity. even worse, those that brought out mommy and daddy's high-priced high-performance car demonstrates a total lack of the aforementioned three. this online forum gives us the opportunity to form and express our opinions. again, they're not directed at imports@uci but rather at those attendees whose cars demonstrated questionable taste/style/creativity.

as i did not stay long enough to find out the results of the judging, i have no opinions of the judging criteria exercised at the meet/show. however, as others have expressed their distain for the judging criteria, and as you have already addressed it... i'll just move on.

lost in this discussion is the appreciation towards imports@uci for putting on this event and making it free for the attendees. imports@uci deserves credit for putting on this show and giving those in the "scene" another outlet to express themselves and to see what others have done. sure, it wasn't perfect, but it was good times all around for us who were there. it was a good opportunity not only for friends to hang out together, but also for us lexus afficionados to represent and to show that our lexuses "ain't your mommy and daddy's lexuses."

i personally had a good time, and i hope that imports@uci continue supporting the scene with more meet/shows.
Old 03-03-09, 02:00 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ well put. Everyone is a "ricer" in a way. In fact we make fun of each other for being ricers of some sort now and then not only because it's funny but also true to an extent. If you cannot get past being offended by the term ricer, there is no way you can open up to new things in the tuner community.
Old 03-03-09, 04:30 PM
Vertex GS3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is what i was quoted by a judge at the meet/show
"the group is looking for more of a race prepped car/track ready. Anyone can slam a car to the ground and put a kit on the car"
the judge cant be bias on what they are judging. they have to take each car into consideration as a whole.

as a judge myself you cant have a member of you affiliation win at a show run by the same affiliation. it is a conflict of interest. its like saying HIN sponsored car wins at HIN.

other than that it was a fun little get together.
Old 03-03-09, 07:11 PM
ARISTO 161
Intermediate

All three of you have good points. I think there's nothing else to argue, so I'm just dandy. Im glad we talked, now lets party... but im still in f'n China...

I always wanted to have some real car professionals be the judges, like David Nguyen, or anyone who has had prior professional judging experience, but haven't gotten any to judge our show yet. Maybe next year

Here is a message I am relaying from John Howard, He was President 2 years ago and maintains an advisor's position, he was also working the car show:

Hello,

I tried to post this earlier, back on page 5, but I guess the moderator
didn’t approve it (new user). So I sent it to Esteban so he can pass on
my words. Here it is for reference:

My name is John and I was president two years ago, with Esteban being
president last year. This year I’ve stayed on as advisor for the club to
help out since we are quite short handed. We are really pleased that you
guys came out to our show, and hope that everyone enjoyed the music, the
food, and the general get together.

With regards to the judging, Imports@UCI asked the vendors who came out to
the show to be the judges for this event, in the hopes that we could have
a more unbiased view at the cars attending. Unfortunately, from the
sounds of it, this did not happen. Being short handed we decided on
initially two awards; best of show (three rotor FC RX7), best of show
student (time attack prepped EG Civic), and we threw in honorable mention
(Celica) at the last minute. We had one old officer of the club leading
the judges around the show, and I am not sure what criteria they were
looking for and how they made their selections. It’s my hope that you
guys can look past what some may feel were “poor choices” by the judges,
and recognize the hard work that Imports@UCI put in to provide the
community with a car show complete with music, free food, prizes, etc. We
enjoyed your guys’ presence at the show and hope that you guys look
forward to next year’s show, where we hope to have even more food, drinks,
music, entertainment, and more awards (w/ more regulated judging
standards). We’d certainly like to see the same amount, if not more
Lexus’ at the next show.

If you guys have any comments (positive or negative), suggestions on how
we can improve the event, etc, feel free to shoot me an email to
ruff867@hotmail.com. I’d be more than happy to listen.

Thanks everyone for helping make our 3rd annual car show a success.

John Howard
Imports@UCI