CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Campbell's HB

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-07, 03:50 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down Campbell's HB

Just wanted to give you guys in Orange County some heads up. I am having some problems with the Huper Optik done on my vehicle at Campbells in Huntington Beach. As of now, I would not recommend them.

I had my 01 GS300 tinted with Huper Optik ceramic 30% on all the windows except the front windshield. There is ghosting on every window except the rear windshield. The ghosting is very noticeable. It has already been a month. My father took the car in today and JC told him that they would re-do the driver-side and to wait another month on the passenger side. He called back a few hours later only to talk to Nora (I believe the owner) who said they will only re-do one of the windows. I'm getting the run around with these guys.

JC told me that if any ghosting occurs, to bring it back and they will re-do the tint. Before I decided on 30% film, he also told me that they have not had any problems using 30% ceramic. Now the story changes; Nora now tells us that there will always be some ghosting and JC has said that other customers have had problems as well. I was not told this before I had the car tinted. If I knew this, I would not have gotten 30%. The ghosting is pretty major. I'm posting to give a heads up to anyone looking at them for tinting service. If the ghosting does not clear up by the end of the month, I will go back and probably be run around once again. I am very disgusted with their customer service, or lack of. They do not take care of their customers. I am considering calling my credit card company and contacting Huper Optik USA and expressing my negative concerns about their product and their "authorized" dealer.

My main concern is for other people. Avoid using 30%. I have heard many people who have used 40% without any problems. ULTiMaX99 has 40% on his IS250 and it looks great.

Once I get my hosting running, I will post some pictures.

Last edited by pingu; 07-03-07 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-03-07, 04:23 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

thanks for the warning.. i considered them in the past, but never actually went there..
maybe HO has a nationwide warranty, so u can take ur car somewhere else!
Old 07-03-07, 04:28 PM
Sly Guy Yu
Lexus Test Driver

hey there, my friend and i have gotten our tint done at campbell's. I cant remember wut kind we got, but it cost me around 250 bux for it. I have not had any problems and they seemed very professional.
Old 07-03-07, 04:36 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

I believe that is their Charcoal or metallic film, which is not a ceramic film. Their Huper Optik ceramic films cost $495. Thats the main reason why I'm not very pleased. I paid more and expected to have everything done right the first time.

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
thanks for the warning.. i considered them in the past, but never actually went there..
maybe HO has a nationwide warranty, so u can take ur car somewhere else!
I'm hoping so. I will be sending them a fax so I have some sort of written documentation.
Btw joedaddy1, do you have Formula One on any of your vehicles? You had commented on that film in another thread.

Doing some more research, many people on these boards and other car forums have stated that using too much heat on ceramic films cause them to "ghost" https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...50&postcount=4

Last edited by pingu; 07-03-07 at 04:50 PM.
Old 07-03-07, 06:27 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i think it depends on who you take it to. i've seen eternity3g's car... it was done by hann with 30% madico ceramic and it looks pretty good. i couldn't notice any ghosting... from the outside at least.
Old 07-03-07, 11:47 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

pingu> sorry to hear about your plight w/ your tint job. hope it gets worked out.

of course, if it doesn't, i can alway offer my "conflict resolution" services...
Old 07-04-07, 08:31 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by pingu
I'm hoping so. I will be sending them a fax so I have some sort of written documentation.
Btw joedaddy1, do you have Formula One on any of your vehicles? You had commented on that film in another thread.

[/URL]
We have FormulaONE in all 5 cars in the garage. And the LS460 has the ceramic one, which was $405.
Old 07-04-07, 03:57 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If they refuse to get things resolved, get your money back and take it to Song's Tint Masters in Los Angeles. As ULTiMaX99 said, Hann does a great job.
Old 07-05-07, 11:00 AM
SkunkMonky
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got my Hupers done a Perfect Window Tinting in Santa Ana off Harbor. I had called Huper and was told Perfect and Campbells were the only authorized installer. According to Sal over at Perfect Window Tinting, Campbells is new with Huper installations and expensive at that.
Old 07-05-07, 11:38 AM
zmatrix
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EXE.UCF10
If they refuse to get things resolved, get your money back and take it to Song's Tint Masters in Los Angeles. As ULTiMaX99 said, Hann does a great job.
yeah I am curious to see what this ghosting looks like.

+1 for Song's (18 years in the business). I had the madico's recently put on my gs and Huber's in my 335i including windshield (40% all around +50% windshield) done by Han himself. They did an awesome job.
Old 07-06-07, 09:07 AM
gstois
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SkunkMonky
Got my Hupers done a Perfect Window Tinting in Santa Ana off Harbor. I had called Huper and was told Perfect and Campbells were the only authorized installer. According to Sal over at Perfect Window Tinting, Campbells is new with Huper installations and expensive at that.

I had Huper 40 put in at Campbells a few weeks ago and so far so good.

As for Sal, I was told by Huper at the time that he is not an authorized dealer, and that they will not honor the warranty on anything he installs. Things may have changed, but I thought it should be mentioned.
Old 09-19-07, 07:17 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Han is actually the person who teaches installers here in the west coast for Huper and other brands. I learned this after calling Huper up directly.

After about 3 months and headaches with them, I got it redone. It looks really good at the moment. I cannot see any signs of ghosting.

HERE IS THE KEY!
All ceramic films will "ghost" when too much heat is applied to them. Ghosting causes ugly streaks to appear when you look at the glass from the outside. The thicker the film (darker the %), the more it is prone to ghosting.

They redid the tint on all four doors. The rear windshield was perfect from the start because the glass does not have much of a compound curve. If you do decide to get ceramic tint done, make sure you tell them you do not want them to use excessive heat to apply it. It takes them longer to put ceramic on without heat; that is why most places do not take the time to do it right. If you have ever watched a person put on a clear bra, it is very similar to how tint is applied. Tint tends to finger over; thicker films such as huper will finger over more. This is why they use heat to get the film to stick.

I'm still not very happy with their sales tactics. When I initially talked to them, I asked them if they have ever had ghosting issues in the past and I was told no. Then after the ghosting issues, they fessed up to their bs lies. I had to call Huper corporate and their distributor to get the real story. This will be the last time I will ever use their films and use Campbells.

BTW, I am told that there are two different versions of ceramic films from Huper. The ones that Campbell's uses is a two layer version. Formula1, Madico, and the other Huper is one layer. I have been told that this tends to ghost less and sticks to compound curves better.

I cannot say anything about Formula1 from experience, but it seems that joedaddy1 has had a great experience with the film. Maybe the two of us could meet and compare how it looks. I hope none of you have to go through what I did. If you have vehicles with large curved windows, stay away from ceramic films (Corvette, 2IS, Porsche GT3). If you like the ceramic series, make sure the installer does not use heat, ask him to take his time and use a squeegee. It will take longer but it will be worth it in the end.

Supposedly Madico is coming out with a new line of film that is not ceramic but offers all of the advantages that ceramic does. It will not interfere with radios, radar, nav, and rejects heat well. I would wait and see how well that line does.

If I can answer any more questions, feel free to ask away.
-Pingu