CL of Hawaii Home of Club Lexus Hawaii

Newbie to Hawaii..help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-10, 01:08 PM
kamakazee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VIP Hawaii woes!!!

Hey guys!! Just a heads up on situation and wanted some advice. Well at least some positive support. I have just recently moved to Honolulu Hawaii from the pacific NW only to find that my 94 GS300 VIP project daily driver is not really allowed due to the few mods done to it....which isn't that much.. lol. Its kitted up with an admiration kit sitting on 20s with k sport coil overs and some simple 8000kHID kit. I was told that I would need to get rid of these mods in order to be able to drive it daily. Was excited to move to Hawaii but sad that there was so many complications and really dont want to take apart what I spent so much time to build up. If I posted in the wrong place... sorry in advance. Just needed to get some steam off. Getting frustrated... so any advice would be greatly appreciated....especially if any of you got any contacts in Honolulu I can get hold of. Mahalo!
Old 08-08-10, 02:19 PM
kamakazee
Driver School Candidate

Default Newbie to Hawaii..help?

Hey guys! thought I drop in and say wuz up! My wife and I just moved out here to Honolulu on a job relocation. Was excited but sad to leave a lot of friends back home in the pacific NW. I really haven't had the time to get out and socialize due to night shift work so i could meet up with any of the local car fanatics out here but would love to get involved. Would probably help the wife from going crazy and killing me nagging her cuz i miss home...nothing against Hawaii just to clarify haha. But anyways..since I'm new here I didn't know of how strict things were to get my car registered from the mainland. You guys got any tips of where to go or what to do to do this safety inspection thing? I've heard I would have to get rid of all my mods on my car. Is this true? Sure hope there is a way to keep my VIP ride intact..shes all I got. Any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated.
Dane
Old 08-08-10, 09:23 PM
REV-01
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can come out to those weekly cl meets this way the members can go over with you on what you need to pass with on every saturday nite.

or if during the day you can come to my work place i can take a look and give you some recommendation. i had a friend's brother just move into the island with a modded 240sx and now he got his plates and safety check.

my # is 845-3811
Old 08-09-10, 02:40 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

welcome to CLH.

The kit is fine....you might have a prob with the 8000K HIDs (too blue)...and the coilovers will need an alignment check to see if you are within spec within XX days of your scheduled a RECON inspection...this is in addition to the regular annual safety check.
Old 08-09-10, 02:51 AM
kamakazee
Driver School Candidate

Yeah I'm gonna try and make it out to the meeting here this coming weekend. Will depend on if the wifes car makes it to the island this week or I'll be stuck at home.....Again. But thanks for the number REV. I'll be for sure to give you a call when ever I get my ride back lol. Im glad to see a great community out here with the VIP scene. Can't wait to get settled down and get out.
Old 08-09-10, 03:02 AM
kamakazee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PHML
welcome to CLH.

The kit is fine....you might have a prob with the 8000K HIDs (too blue)...and the coilovers will need an alignment check to see if you are within spec within XX days of your scheduled a RECON inspection...this is in addition to the regular annual safety check.
The welcome is greatly appreciated and thanks for the input. I guess ill call around for a place and price for alignment. As for the HIDs...I guess I could just go buy some stock bulbs for the mean while. Just gottem too If you guys got any recommendations on where to take my ride to get worked on then let me know also. I usually work on my car myself back home but got no garage. Anyways...thanks CLH!
Old 08-09-10, 12:20 PM
chrisyano
Lead Lap

I recommend REV-01's shop. He will take good care of you and your car. Give him a call at the number above and he can take care of all of your needs.
Old 08-10-10, 01:05 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kamakazee
The welcome is greatly appreciated and thanks for the input. I guess ill call around for a place and price for alignment. As for the HIDs...I guess I could just go buy some stock bulbs for the mean while. Just gottem too If you guys got any recommendations on where to take my ride to get worked on then let me know also. I usually work on my car myself back home but got no garage. Anyways...thanks CLH!
Ahhh...a DIY'er like myself.

Don't schedule alignment just yet...not until you got a RECON inspection date first. Correct me if Im wrong gang, but the alignment must be done within 30 days of RECON inspection...right?
Old 08-10-10, 02:09 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

unfortunately there is no 'official' meet this sat nite, one of the the very few non car show related cancellations... we will resume on the 21st at kahala mall.

..but the alignment must be done within 30 days of RECON inspection...right?
right.

AND~ welcome to CLH
Old 08-10-10, 02:43 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The HID's will definitely be a problem, but just do like you said and buy some halogen bulbs to put in when you go for your inspection. You need to do this for both the RECON and annual inspection. When I had my Legend with modified headlights I used to swap in my unmodified stock headlights every year just for the 5 minute annual inspection. I even put my stock rims on til this day on any car I have when I go in just so there is no hassles. That is NOT needed though.

The suspension mods will definitely need RECON, but should pass the RECON without any problems.
Old 08-10-10, 11:00 AM
Toyboy300
Driver

Ahhh...a DIY'er like myself.

Don't schedule alignment just yet...not until you got a RECON inspection date first. Correct me if Im wrong gang, but the alignment must be done within 30 days of RECON inspection...right?
What's up Pete. When I went for my recon in late June they said the wait list is 2 months. Yikes!
Old 08-10-10, 07:05 PM
kamakazee
Driver School Candidate

Wow lots of info already from all you guys. So what you guys think about the kit passing recon? One guy told me I wouldnt pass because it doenst have the impact support. Let me know on this one....and a two month waiting period? Wowzer!!! I'm in trouble.
Old 08-10-10, 11:29 PM
REV-01
Lexus Champion

yeah if no more support bar you need to get one...
Old 08-11-10, 06:52 PM
kamakazee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by REV-01
yeah if no more support bar you need to get one...
Aww man REV..you had to tell me that. The shop that installed it back at home said the supports wouldn't fit so they didn't install them back onto the car. I think I just might have to just stop by and see what you can do REV and get a quote from you on how much its going to cost. You available on Saturdays?
Old 08-12-10, 11:07 AM
33flavors
Driver School Candidate

RECON? Whats that LOL - welcome to the island - REV-01 will surely get you in order - Another Lexus head - I feel so lonely