Chicago Lexus Club Chicago Representin'

Lets see yer toolbox. :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-08, 03:09 PM
goelise
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lets see yer toolbox. :)

I'm pretty much a do it your-selfer. I'll swap engines/transmissions/carbs (when these were more common), seats, whatever as I'm not very inclined with having someone else do it if I can help it. I have had friends get screwed over by some so-called performance shops which take forever to do a job and I like to know what has been done to my cars.

This means that sooner or later you'll wind up with tools, and I found that the addition of a decent toolbox makes things go faster. Here's my Snap On that I bought at a great price straight from the warehouse.

My tools consist of a mix of snap-on sockets/wrenches/meters/torque wrenches/screwdrivers, etc. for delicate fastener type work and craftsman hammers,prybars and such for impact related work. My oldest brother was a Toyota master mechanic so I've been an unofficial apprentice under him and picked up which tools worked and just had to be dead-on made right and which ones were 'dispensable'. I also have a set of Metrinch and Husky tools ....heh heh

BTW..my real line of work is in the software industry and my degrees are in computer science. Working on cars is a fun side thing. Lets see what you guys got!

Last edited by goelise; 07-10-08 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-10-08, 08:55 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After this picture I can't post mine
Old 07-11-08, 02:00 AM
woaitsj3ff
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry no pics, but I do carry half of it in my trunk.
Old 07-11-08, 03:13 AM
goelise
Pole Position

Talking

Originally Posted by LEXUS_KID
After this picture I can't post mine
In the past I used to work out of like 3-4 gym bags full of tools and it was ridiculous after a while to try and find the right one without rifling through each bag. I even tried to organize it by wrenches, sockets in one bag, screwdrivers, pliers and cutters in another, etc...and I knew the next thing I had to do was organize it somehow. My bro kept telling me to invest in a toolbox and that really came in handy. I got the toolbox just 3 years ago when snap on had this box unsold and sitting in the back of their warehouse for over a year.

So for me, its cool in whatever setup people have, I admire any do-it-your-selfer willing to pick up a tool and get their hands dirty.

Come on, lets see it!
Old 07-11-08, 07:18 AM
woaitsj3ff
Lexus Test Driver

I'll prolly take pics today once im done from crawling underneath the car.
Old 07-11-08, 07:40 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

here ya go...nothing special but it holds them just fine for me.

Old 07-11-08, 08:48 AM
goelise
Pole Position

Originally Posted by passnu2
here ya go...nothing special but it holds them just fine for me.

Looks like a good setup to me passnu2! i looked at the craftsman boxes and they are good deals. I'd like to get a few in the future.

Last edited by goelise; 07-11-08 at 08:53 AM.
Old 07-12-08, 03:07 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you I need to get another one or one larger one....I have power tools and other stuff all over the place that I have nothing to store them in. I just got a compressor and stuff to go along with it about a year ago and I love having it around.

I got this about 5 years ago and its held up threw a few moves and all. There used to be a MFG out in Plainfield/Oswego area?? Cant recall the name?? but they did all the big name "private labeled" stuff in house. I quoted them many years back on their custom packing when I was in a different field. To the best of my knowledge they shut down.