Chicago Lexus Club Chicago Representin'

where should i buy 6k led's from? also why is everyone upgrading?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-07, 06:16 AM
feysulex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where should i buy 6k led's from? also why is everyone upgrading?

I have noticed that alot of people have modified their fog lights to the 6k led. can someone please explain what is the reason why most people are doing this? Also is it hard to do?

where in chicago should i buy them?
Old 06-14-07, 08:13 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Usually people upgrade their fogs to match their HID headlights.
Old 06-14-07, 09:43 AM
cHiTwNGS43
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by feysulex
I have noticed that alot of people have modified their fog lights to the 6k led. can someone please explain what is the reason why most people are doing this? Also is it hard to do?

where in chicago should i buy them?

I would order them through superbrightleds.com....you might want to go with some polargs though...leds are heat sensitive and tend to burn out after awhile especially in the location you are planning to put them.
Old 06-14-07, 11:41 AM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a bit confused. You are trying to convert your fog lights to LEDs? Or are trying to put in like 6000k look halogen bulbs?

many people put in 6000k hid's in their foglights just for the look also, but thats a more expensive route. I had an old set I threw into my fog lights, but my ballasts were crapping out every so often. So I just took them out.

I've never seen people put straight up LEDs into a fog light spot though. You wouldn't get much if any light output.
Old 06-14-07, 11:41 AM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

not many shops sell aftermarket hid kits these days, too much liability. You'll have to go to the net. There are plenty of CL vendors who sell kits also.
Old 06-15-07, 07:23 AM
feysulex
Rookie

Originally Posted by tcho82
I'm a bit confused. You are trying to convert your fog lights to LEDs? Or are trying to put in like 6000k look halogen bulbs?

many people put in 6000k hid's in their foglights just for the look also, but thats a more expensive route. I had an old set I threw into my fog lights, but my ballasts were crapping out every so often. So I just took them out.

I've never seen people put straight up LEDs into a fog light spot though. You wouldn't get much if any light output.

i am sorry, you are correct. I am not trying to put HID in my fog lights. i am trying to get LED's in my fog lights. i got the terminology screwed up.

Why do people put LED's and what kind should i get?
Old 06-15-07, 12:14 PM
cHiTwNGS43
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by feysulex
i am sorry, you are correct. I am not trying to put HID in my fog lights. i am trying to get LED's in my fog lights. i got the terminology screwed up.

Why do people put LED's and what kind should i get?
If I'm uderstanding this correctly....you want to replace the 194 wedge type bulbs...here is link to some....

http://www.superbrightleds.com/mini-wedge.html

it's all a matter of preference as to which ones you want to get....definately go white though
Old 06-15-07, 02:56 PM
feysulex
Rookie

Originally Posted by cHiTwNGS43
If I'm uderstanding this correctly....you want to replace the 194 wedge type bulbs...here is link to some....

http://www.superbrightleds.com/mini-wedge.html

it's all a matter of preference as to which ones you want to get....definately go white though

Which one should i get? also do most people go with an LED or HID? thanks
Old 06-19-07, 07:02 PM
darksparkz
Lead Lap

LED lights are very small, in order to make something bright enough for your fog lights, you'd have to put a LOT of them together in a cluster on a circuit board. That would be quite a tough job, unless you have good electrical experience to build your own. Plus, LEDs wouldn't be all that bright, it just has a nice color.

HIDs are those in factory headlights of many Lexus's and BMW's and such. They are a projector housing with a HID bulb inside. Most factory fog lights do not have that option to just 'stick' HIDs in. You'd have to mod the factory fog light housing to fit a projector and then purchase HID bulbs to go into it.

I think what you want to do, is just replace the factory fog light bulb with an aftermarket one that has a 'whiter' color. Most auto parts store carrys aftermarket bulbs, which would be called 'halogen' bulbs. You can go to some shops that carry better parts that you can replace your factory halogen bulb with.

I recommend TopSpeed on Archer.
Old 06-19-07, 07:46 PM
feysulex
Rookie

Originally Posted by darksparkz
LED lights are very small, in order to make something bright enough for your fog lights, you'd have to put a LOT of them together in a cluster on a circuit board. That would be quite a tough job, unless you have good electrical experience to build your own. Plus, LEDs wouldn't be all that bright, it just has a nice color.

HIDs are those in factory headlights of many Lexus's and BMW's and such. They are a projector housing with a HID bulb inside. Most factory fog lights do not have that option to just 'stick' HIDs in. You'd have to mod the factory fog light housing to fit a projector and then purchase HID bulbs to go into it.

I think what you want to do, is just replace the factory fog light bulb with an aftermarket one that has a 'whiter' color. Most auto parts store carrys aftermarket bulbs, which would be called 'halogen' bulbs. You can go to some shops that carry better parts that you can replace your factory halogen bulb with.

I recommend TopSpeed on Archer.
thanks soo much. you are much more articulate. You hit it on the head for me. thats what i am looking to do.

thanks
Old 06-25-07, 06:14 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any picture of the work on the LED'S