Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Might replace the LX: what should I consider?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-22, 07:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,679 Likes on 1,922 Posts

Its just really tiresome hearing Lexus fans use "reliability" as an excuse for lazy product design, as if that trumps everything else about a vehicle and no other vehicle is reliable. The bottom line is Lexus has screwed the pooch by not offering a vehicle in this and many other classes that competes will in the marketplace. The LX should be a Lexus version of the Sequoia, except designed properly which the new Sequoia isn't. It would sell Escalade numbers.
Old 11-29-22, 09:06 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

when I say they age, I mean not just the engine and trans- I am talking about the quality of interior, panel gaps, the suspension noise, the creeks the rattles and the list goes on and on.
I am lexus fan because it works when needed not sorry about too. I told you guys 500k miles on LX that I have onwed and not a single issue yet...as I said earlier you guys won't get it unless you onwed an LX
Old 11-29-22, 09:12 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UZ214
when I say they age, I mean not just the engine and trans- I am talking about the quality of interior, panel gaps, the suspension noise, the creeks the rattles and the list goes on and on.
I am lexus fan because it works when needed not sorry about too. I told you guys 500k miles on LX that I have onwed and not a single issue yet...as I said earlier you guys won't get it unless you onwed an LX
I understood what you meant, which is why I said no Lexus ages the same way either, and the new LX likely won't. My LS460s had rattles and things I had to chase down and I didn't keep either of them past 50k miles. The newer GM and Ford SUVs are much nicer than the older ones and will age much better.

The point is, most cars 'work when they are needed", thats not something that is unique to Lexus, lets not pretend it is. If you need space, its not for you...I would rather have the space I need and need to fix something here or there than have a family vehicle that doesn't fit my needs. Id love Lexus to produce a vehicle that fits my needs.
Old 11-29-22, 09:19 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

I agree on the cargo/seating area, lexus needs a Escalade size SUV and toyota gave us the Sequoia...can understand lx is not the only suv that will across US but will any of you do actually do this here? I rented a suburban it was large suv with space and all but driving wise not as comfy as LX I was actually tired after 7 hours of driving. again I only say LX because I have put so many miles on them last 20 years and never let me down on trips from east to west coast

Cargo box is very common actually seen many German SUVs with it just last week, even if I buy a escalade I will still put on top because it keeps the cargo area clean and it fits in many parking areas, I never have issues with mine.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
This is just total crap, sorry lol. American trucks are out there all over the place with hundreds of thousands of miles on them, they are the workhorses of America. They are very dependable. Will they age as well as a Lexus LX? Well, honestly no other Lexus does anymore either except maybe the LS, and I can't speak to the 500.

The LX is a fine vehicle, but as big BOF SUVs go its small, thats the big issue. You can put a carrier on top, but then you have to store that carrier somewhere and you have to remember its above it when you are on the road and parking in garages, etc. I don't want to have to deal with one of those. I want a vehicle that can hold my family and all our stuff inside the vehicle, and the LX is too small for that.

An LX570 only has 42 sq ft of space behind the second row, and 11 behind the third row. A Tahoe by comparison has 73 square feet behind the second row and 26 square feet behind the third row, and its only 10 inches longer, its just a dramatically more spacious vehicle inside, and if you need that space you need that space. If you go to a Suburban the difference is even more massive, but then its so big its ungainly to drive around town.

People drive big American SUVs all over the country and get where they are going and don't have any problems. The Lexus LX is not the only vehicle that can reliably transport a family, nor is it the only vehicle that will hold up well to 100k+ miles of use.
Old 11-29-22, 09:30 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Most cars work when needed sure, but we are on a lexus forum and no one here is buying a car to get to point a to b. As you said if you need space LX not for everyone. we should be looking at minivans for people carriers,
Your Ls460 rattles were nothing compared to the rattles in a jeep i test drove. My LS460 had some light dash rattles which were addressed by lexus. there were sticky panels in the earlier Ls also addressed sure there were issues but the LX has been bullet proof.

With GM is not as simple, I am myself considering a ford expedition max just for the heck of it and give them a chance, or a Yukon XL

I understood what you meant, which is why I said no Lexus ages the same way either, and the new LX likely won't. My LS460s had rattles and things I had to chase down and I didn't keep either of them past 50k miles. The newer GM and Ford SUVs are much nicer than the older ones and will age much better.

The point is, most cars 'work when they are needed", thats not something that is unique to Lexus, lets not pretend it is. If you need space, its not for you...I would rather have the space I need and need to fix something here or there than have a family vehicle that doesn't fit my needs. Id love Lexus to produce a vehicle that fits my needs.
Old 11-29-22, 09:38 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 214 Likes on 181 Posts

I agree on the cargo/seating area, lexus needs a Escalade size SUV and toyota gave us the Sequoia...can understand lx is not the only suv that will across US but will any of you do actually do this here? I rented a suburban it was large suv with space and all but driving wise not as comfy as LX I was actually tired after 7 hours of driving. again I only say LX because I have put so many miles on them last 20 years and never let me down on trips from east to west coast

Cargo box is very common actually seen many German SUVs with it just last week, even if I buy a escalade I will still put on top because it keeps the cargo area clean and it fits in many parking areas, I never have issues with mine.
I saw a new Escalade yesterday on the interstate out of state plates that appeared to only have driver and passenger on board with one of those luggage things that affix to the hitch that come up behind the bumper like old school spare tires did. I thought of this thread and "I wonder what they need it f or" lol. The American Utes are huge inside, plenty of storage.
Old 11-29-22, 09:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If I remember correctly that was a previous generation Suburban, the new ones are much much better. I rented a new gen Suburban for a week and it was excellent. Very comfortable. The Suburban is cheaper than the LX though, you really have to compare it to an Escalade.

I know, I just dont want to deal with storing one. My garage is just big enough for my cars.

Your Ls460 rattles were nothing compared to the rattles in a jeep i test drove.
Remember I had two Jeeps and two Chrysler Minivans too, my Jeeps had no rattles, I kept the 2011 to 55,000 miles. My Pacificas as beat on as they are, no rattles. Compared to my GS350 which was rattle city after 25k miles.
Old 11-29-22, 10:32 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 358 Likes on 245 Posts

Its just really tiresome hearing Lexus fans use "reliability" as an excuse for lazy product design, as if that trumps everything else about a vehicle and no other vehicle is reliable. The bottom line is Lexus has screwed the pooch by not offering a vehicle in this and many other classes that competes will in the marketplace. The LX should be a Lexus version of the Sequoia, except designed properly which the new Sequoia isn't. It would sell Escalade numbers.
I have a few thoughts on this. My first thought is if I only bought new cars and kept them for 3-5 years, I'm not sure I'd be buying Lexus for any scenario other than a massive value gap. When reliability and aging quality are removed from the equation, I agree that Lexus has some major gaps compared to competitors. For example, if I felt the LS500 and S580 were relatively comparable in ride quality and luxury level, but I could get the LS500 for $25k less, I'd buy Lexus. I've been a long time Lexus and Toyota owner due to the reliability AND how well my LS400, LS430, LS460, GX460 and LX570 have aged (no squeaks, rattles and all of them were held to over 150k miles... my LS400 and LS430 I kept until 250k miles).

My bigger thought is I think for me that this potential move away from the LX would signify a pretty radical shift in my buying behavior because I'm most likely shifting how long I keep the vehicle (shortening the length of ownership) due to concerns I'd have with non-Lexus brand on both aging and long term reliability. If I buy a 2022 Tahoe with 30k miles and keep it 5 years, it'll have about 80-90k miles on it when we'd go to get rid of it. That is a drastic difference from every Lexus vehicle I've ever owned - my 2 most recent being the LS (bought when 5 years old with 70k miles - has 150k now) and LX (bought 4 years old, 60k miles - has 155k now). This big change in my buying behavior is my biggest hurdle to pulling the trigger.

I find myself in a similar predicament every 1 year as these new fancy SUVs come out. I would tell you to get another new LX 2016+ its worth the update to what you have. 2nd choice would be a 23 sequoia.
Yes there are people here like you and me who have owned an LX for years to understand what I mean and what value it brings. for me its peace of mind that I can depend on this 4000 miles away from home with. my whole family inside and its very comfy on long drives too
I don't think a newer version of the LX changes anything for me. Interior dimensions are the same, and I'd have the same jump seat complaints. I love the upgraded exterior and interior, but the root of my frustrations are the same. I agree with you on reliability and do feel they are great for a road trip - but I have to imagine these newer Navigators, Tahoe's/Yukon's are amazing on a road trip as well. As SW mentioned, the space behind the 2nd row of an LX compared to the Tahoe is radically different - that all factors into the road trip experience for my kids in the 2nd row if I don't have to have duffel bags, etc. in the floor board because there is adequate room in the back.
Old 11-29-22, 10:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No doubt that I would have a much higher level of confidence buying a Lexus with 70k miles than buying anything else
Old 11-29-22, 10:59 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

This below is of also my hesitation to change away from LX to an escaldae esv or navigator.... couple of years ago (right around covid) I test drove few American SUVs, lightly used under 25k miles 2 yrs old or so. I drove Navigator, escaldae and Yukons most of them showed age that what I would not expect compared to a year old lexus or even toyota, (armrest leather dye discoloration, rattles in dash, suspension noise in one) interior quality wasn't just as well put together that I am used to. Also checked the sequoia which seemed very dated interior wise but seemed rock solid driving wise. We drive family of 5 to road trips, and we camp and often time sleep in the car too, so it gets tricky as kids are getting older and taller. they complain how the car is small now.

We really liked the x7 though its driving dynamics were very very impressive but I also off-road lightly quite often so I am still sticking to the LX. For longer trips and I do this every often we have the cargo box and the bags go in there.

But to your point anything else you will have to switch 3-5 years, and honestly I am not ready for that, I would rather deal with less space rather that deal with the headache later.
Again I have owed 1 LX470, 3 LX570.. I was talking to an owner of an older LX470, he was in his 70s and I saw him outside Lexus of cherry hill, we chatted for couple of mins and I complemented how great his car looks etc.This was a early 2000 model and it looked better than my 2015 LX. later I walk in inside and talked to the Gm and he told. me the guy I was talking to was the owner of the dealership and he loves his LX and would to give it up for anything.

My bigger thought is I think for me that this potential move away from the LX would signify a pretty radical shift in my buying behavior because I'm most likely shifting how long I keep the vehicle (shortening the length of ownership) due to concerns I'd have with non-Lexus brand on both aging and long term reliability. If I buy a 2022 Tahoe with 30k miles and keep it 5 years, it'll have about 80-90k miles on it when we'd go to get rid of it. That is a drastic difference from every Lexus vehicle I've ever owned - my 2 most recent being the LS (bought when 5 years old with 70k miles - has 150k now) and LX (bought 4 years old, 60k miles - has 155k now). This big change in my buying behavior is my biggest hurdle to pulling the trigger.
Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I have a few thoughts on this. My first thought is if I only bought new cars and kept them for 3-5 years, I'm not sure I'd be buying Lexus for any scenario other than a massive value gap. When reliability and aging quality are removed from the equation, I agree that Lexus has some major gaps compared to competitors. For example, if I felt the LS500 and S580 were relatively comparable in ride quality and luxury level, but I could get the LS500 for $25k less, I'd buy Lexus. I've been a long time Lexus and Toyota owner due to the reliability AND how well my LS400, LS430, LS460, GX460 and LX570 have aged (no squeaks, rattles and all of them were held to over 150k miles... my LS400 and LS430 I kept until 250k miles).

I don't think a newer version of the LX changes anything for me. Interior dimensions are the same, and I'd have the same jump seat complaints. I love the upgraded exterior and interior, but the root of my frustrations are the same. I agree with you on reliability and do feel they are great for a road trip - but I have to imagine these newer Navigators, Tahoe's/Yukon's are amazing on a road trip as well. As SW mentioned, the space behind the 2nd row of an LX compared to the Tahoe is radically different - that all factors into the road trip experience for my kids in the 2nd row if I don't have to have duffel bags, etc. in the floor board because there is adequate room in the back.

Last edited by UZ214; 11-29-22 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-29-22, 11:19 AM
K8lexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 30 Likes on 9 Posts

We have a business vehicle that checks many of your boxes.
Our business is related to outdoor sports. So we needed to find a reliable, somewhat rugged, mid sized SUV that could be outfitted with a hitch rack and roof rack.
We ended up getting a 2022 Subaru Ascent Onyx Edition.
It has:
  • 2nd row captain's chairs
  • Panoramic moonroof
  • usable 3rd row that is also easily folded/hidden to allow for decent space
  • Apple Car Play
  • QUIET and SMOOTH ride and it doesn't feel as big as it is
  • I believe we ended up paying around $44,000
The only concerns we originally had were that there was an initial review that said the transmission was not great. But that was from the first year this model was released. We have several customers and friends who also have an Ascent that love it, as we love ours. No issues at all with the transmission...That leads me to believe that this was a release year kink that has since been worked out. The other issue is that there are other midsized SUVs that get better gas mileage, but we love it more than those more fuel efficient models. (19 city/25 highway for the Ascent) (Tahoe gets up to 21 city/28 hwy for example)

I hope that helps some!
Old 11-29-22, 11:36 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,306 Likes on 1,508 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
- Reliability - I'll most likely buy lightly used but I tend to hang onto our vehicles for a while which means I'll own this SUV outside of warranty. I'm looking for something reliable and not insanely expensive when things go wrong. I would prefer to NOT have things like air/hydraulic suspension, etc. because when it goes bad it is easily a few thousand $ to repair.
- 2nd row captains chairs - a must
- Moonroof (pano glass would be a benefit, but need roof to tilt and open for front passengers)
- Usable 3rd row - occasionally need a 3rd row and again the jump seat design on the LX makes it really impractical for how people have to get into the 3rd row.
- Apple Car Play
- "Tight" quality feel - when I drive our 2010 LX I am amazed by how there are no squeaks, no rattles, etc. A lot of other cars seem to develop squeaks and rattles in just a few years. I'm looking for something that will maintain a quality feel for several years.

Budget: $60k (ish)
what about a toyota sienna? seems to check all your boxes.
Old 11-29-22, 11:48 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by K8lexus
We have a business vehicle that checks many of your boxes.
Our business is related to outdoor sports. So we needed to find a reliable, somewhat rugged, mid sized SUV that could be outfitted with a hitch rack and roof rack.
We ended up getting a 2022 Subaru Ascent Onyx Edition.
It has:
  • 2nd row captain's chairs
  • Panoramic moonroof
  • usable 3rd row that is also easily folded/hidden to allow for decent space
  • Apple Car Play
  • QUIET and SMOOTH ride and it doesn't feel as big as it is
  • I believe we ended up paying around $44,000
The only concerns we originally had were that there was an initial review that said the transmission was not great. But that was from the first year this model was released. We have several customers and friends who also have an Ascent that love it, as we love ours. No issues at all with the transmission...That leads me to believe that this was a release year kink that has since been worked out. The other issue is that there are other midsized SUVs that get better gas mileage, but we love it more than those more fuel efficient models. (19 city/25 highway for the Ascent) (Tahoe gets up to 21 city/28 hwy for example)

I hope that helps some!
Interesting - Subaru never came to mind... I took a quick look and my inclination is it's probably a bit narrower on the inside than what we're wanting (ideally same width as our LX, just want something with better rear storage capability). But I will dig in further. Thanks
Old 11-29-22, 11:49 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
what about a toyota sienna? seems to check all your boxes.
We've managed to go over 10 years with twins and never owned a minivan. We aren't starting now
Old 11-29-22, 11:54 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 214 Likes on 181 Posts

This below is of also my hesitation to change away from LX to an escaldae esv or navigator.... couple of years ago (right around covid) I test drove few American SUVs, lightly used under 25k miles 2 yrs old or so. I drove Navigator, escaldae and Yukons most of them showed age that what I would not expect compared to a year old lexus or even toyota, (armrest leather dye discoloration, rattles in dash, suspension noise in one) interior quality wasn't just as well put together that I am used to. Also checked the sequoia which seemed
r.[/i]
Yes, literally my LX570 I bought at 7 years old and looked showroom new inside and out. It could have passed for new except for one small blemish outside. Not an exaggeration. I also think that's an area Lexus excels. This guy at the gas station asked me if I paid $110k for it a couple months back, lol. The Lexus high end models are so well put together that they remain "like new" as long as you take care of them.

Quick Reply: Might replace the LX: what should I consider?