Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

CR Most and Least Reliable Cars and Trucks of 2022

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-22, 06:31 PM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
This is a perfect example of the CR survey fallacy. CR tested 2 MBZ models. How do you honestly rate a car manufacturer on 2 models? In a statistical report, this would be laughed at. And to make a big $$ decision on this these MBZ results woud be foolish.
As you mentioned feedback from these forums are more valid, you should head over mbworld and read what peope say about the gles. I think if I remember correctly their experiences changed Steve’s view about the gle regardless his excellent experience with his S.
Old 11-27-22, 06:42 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Forum anecdotes are good for addressing and bringing awareness to a potential issue, but totally useless to gauge how widespread that issue is and how the overall reliability is for each vehicle when it's sold in the tens of thousands. Even with their smaller sample data size, CR has far more data on each vehicle than any forum user.

Anecdotes are also only worth something if it's from a credible individual. Not the easiest thing to find on the internet.
Old 11-27-22, 06:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
Forum anecdotes are good for addressing and bringing awareness to a potential issue, but totally useless to gauge how widespread that issue is and how the overall reliability is for each vehicle when it's sold in the tens of thousands.

Even with their smaller sample data size, CR has far more data on each vehicle than any forum user.
Exactly.
Old 11-27-22, 07:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,679 Likes on 1,922 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Exactly. And then just buy what wifey wants. At least that's what I do....
Hence why I have had two Chrysler Pacificas even after the first one was in the shop for over 40 days in 2.5 years!

JD Power's Dependability survey has been much more consistent year-to-year than CR.
True, and you can follow trends over time.

Originally Posted by 1111GS
As you mentioned feedback from these forums are more valid, you should head over mbworld and read what peope say about the gles. I think if I remember correctly their experiences changed Steve’s view about the gle regardless his excellent experience with his S.
Yep, great example. I know from first hand experience not to discount what people on forums are saying, and how annoying it is when Fanboy elements in a forum try and silence people who have problems. I have completely stopped posting on the Pacifica forums for instance, because the Fanboyism there is so huge that any time I would try and give someone coming in looking for purchase advice my experience and thoughts I would literally get attacked for pages and pages.

Those forum experiences with the GLE and GLS seriously will impact whether or not I will get one, currently a GLS is what my wife wants.
Old 11-27-22, 07:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I have completely stopped posting on the Pacifica forums for instance, because the Fanboyism there is so huge that any time I would try and give someone coming in looking for purchase advice my experience and thoughts I would literally get attacked for pages and pages.

More-so than just Fanboyism, it’s probably because those forums are not moderated properly. You see more or less the same thing on GM-authority and Ford authority… personal attacks without much moderator-response, although I myself post on the GM site and have never been personally attacked.
Old 11-27-22, 07:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,679 Likes on 1,922 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
More-so than just Fanboyism, it’s probably because those forums are not moderated properly. You see more or less the same thing on GM-authority and Ford authority… personal attacks without much moderator-response, although I myself post on the GM site and have never been personally attacked.
No doubt, they are basically not moderated at all.

One of the things I think they do well here is limit people from crapping on a model when they don't own it. That is really annoying, and they allow that to go on at MBWorld which is frustrating. People who own the car though and want to share their story with others, thats fair game and a benefit to the forum as long as it doesn't become like beating a dead horse.
Old 11-28-22, 09:15 AM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Forum anecdotes are good for addressing and bringing awareness to a potential issue, but totally useless to gauge how widespread that issue is and how the overall reliability is for each vehicle when it's sold in the tens of thousands. Even with their smaller sample data size, CR has far more data on each vehicle than any forum user.
Anecdotes are also only worth something if it's from a credible individual. Not the easiest thing to find on the internet.
I don't read CR only view their results when needed () When I saw the lists, I thought they were overall accurate, at least the GLE at the bottom, regardless what he was saying about sample size and the reports' values while valuing more on posters from the forums. So I suggested him go read the posts from owners on mbworld which coincidently (Lol) match what what the reports say. I think he and some are confused CR reports and alike with testing/analysis to qualify a new product at a manufacturer. That is where they rigorously test the product under extreme conditions with large sample size to weed out potential problems that consumers may face. From the way it looks, some are more thorough than others. CR reports only ...report what they see. And that confirms it is informational as he said at the beginning.