Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota's next small crossover could be the TJ Cruiser

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-17, 05:28 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Toyota's next small crossover could be the TJ Cruiser

A trademark application filed with the United States Patent and Trademark Office hints that a vehicle based on the Toyota FT-4X Concept may be headed for production. But it won't be called FT-4X (good riddance). Instead, Toyota may riff on the deceased-but-still-loved FJ Cruiser by naming its smaller 'ute the TJ Cruiser.

Remember, the FJ Cruiser was intended to evoke the memory of Toyota's famed FJ Land Cruiser series, which were (and still are) legendary for their off-road prowess and durability. The FJ had some legitimate off-road chops, too, but don't expect the same kind of mission statement from the TJ Cruiser, if it ever does hit the showroom floor. The FT-4X was marketed toward Millennials – which didn't sit well with some of us – and the TJ Cruiser would likely go down a similar path as a small, utilitarian crossover.

When the TJ Cruiser will actually hit the market is unclear, but since it will likely ride atop Toyota's TNGA C-Platform, which also forms the basis of the C-HR, a solid chunk of the development work should already be done. All we can do now is wait and see.
Source
Old 05-31-17, 08:40 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

^ Man I hope not, that concept is one giant pile of ugly. Also looks like if they're faithful to that concept, it could have the same crap visibility that the FJ Cruiser had. I also don't think they should make it look like a legit 4x4 off roader, but its a Corolla under the macho styling. I really wish Toyota would do a small, affordable, off road type of SUV based off the Tacoma. 4Runners now days are too big/expensive IMO.
Old 06-01-17, 08:30 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

I hope this is the TJ and a new FJ is coming with BOF capabilities. They cant possibly be thinking of tarnishing the FJ's name with that thing.
Old 06-01-17, 08:30 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Perfect for roaming around on the moon
Old 06-01-17, 08:32 AM
Socal858
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks like a kia soul
Old 06-02-17, 05:13 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

omg please don't put that on a showroom i'm at lol
Old 06-02-17, 05:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
omg please don't put that on a showroom i'm at lol
Count your blessings. Would you rather have to sell Jukes LOL?

Old 06-02-17, 07:04 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Count your blessings. Would you rather have to sell Jukes LOL?

I'd rather sell Jukes than this steaming pile . . .

The Juke is a far superior car than this pile of crap from Toyota, which is based on the Corolla. So you get that lame Corolla driving experience, 140hp, CVT, FWD only, and its a lot heavier than a Corolla. The Juke you had AWD options, manual transmissions, standard turbo engine, great handling, heck they even made a Nismo version. I also thought the Juke was a big pile of ugly when it came out, but its kind of grown on me, it does have personality.

Anyways getting back to the Toyota named after a Jeep model(TJ was the chassis code for the 97-2006 Wrangler), I hope they put something respectable under the hood and offer an AWD option. I'm sure the TJ(and C-HR) will sell, about the only SUV sales flops I can think of in the somewhat recent past have been the Acura ZDX, Accord Crosstour, Toyota Venza(that sold okay but they quit making them), and Pontiac Aztek.

Last edited by Aron9000; 06-02-17 at 07:12 PM.
Old 06-02-17, 07:14 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000

The Juke is a far superior car than this pile of crap from Toyota, which is based on the Corolla. So you get that lame Corolla driving experience, 140hp, CVT, FWD only, and its a lot heavier than a Corolla. The Juke you had AWD options, manual transmissions, standard turbo engine, great handling, heck they even made a Nismo version. I also thought the Juke was a big pile of ugly when it came out, but its kind of grown on me, it does have personality.
Have you driven the new Toyota C-HR? It is NOT based on the Corolla. It shares the new TNGA-C platform with the new Prius and like the Prius, it drives well, according to the reviews I have read.

The limited drivetrain options I would blame on the fact that this was supposed to be sold as a Scion. Scion was cancelled so quickly that there was no time to re-plan the build options on the assembly line. Give it a year and I believe that there will be more options other than the monospec models.
Old 06-02-17, 07:17 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Anyways getting back to the Toyota named after a Jeep model(TJ was the chassis code for the 97-2006 Wrangler), I hope they put something respectable under the hood and offer an AWD option. I'm sure the TJ(and C-HR) will sell, about the only SUV sales flops I can think of in the somewhat recent past have been the Acura ZDX, Accord Crosstour, Toyota Venza(that sold okay but they quit making them), and Pontiac Aztek.
The Juke is a big pile of ugly. That's why it didnt sell at all. Just like picking a woman, she can be the best hearted person (engine) but if she is butterface, no man will want her. The Toyota is opposite, mean hearted beautiful trap that all men will fall for
Old 06-04-17, 10:58 AM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Perfect for roaming around on the moon
Actually yes, it does look like something that belongs on the moon. I guess thats our future of automobiles.

I don't see the point in having the TJ and the CH-R in the same category. Unless Toyota is trying to do with what Jeep did with the compass and the patriot.
Old 06-04-17, 11:05 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

That looks horrendous..... I don't understand why Toyota is dicking around with these craptastic futuristic looking "offroad" vehicles when they could just bring the 70-series to this country and make bank.

There is a huge market for it. Would give the Wrangler a really good run for their money becasue it's just as/more capable and has a proven track record. Oh and it's actually reliable.....

Even the FJ Cruiser, aside from its loyal following is an ergonomics disaster because of its horrible interior layout and poor/dangerous visibility. Basically a 4Runner with horrible ergonomics at the expense of "looking cool".
Old 06-05-17, 06:57 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

It's actually a Transformer with armor plating in defense mode.
Old 06-05-17, 09:48 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Mr. Toyoda should be called (again) before the U.S. Congress to explain how a design like this can be approved. Ugly (subjective) becomes Ugly (objective).
Old 06-05-17, 10:58 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

The Joke-- whoops, I mean Juke-- is a very ugly vehicle but regarding its mechanical options with AWD (albeit with a CVT. Gag...) and a 6-speed manual in FWD form, LSD and turbo 1.6L.... ^^ This...

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
That looks horrendous..... I don't understand why Toyota is dicking around with these craptastic futuristic looking "offroad" vehicles when they could just bring the 70-series to this country and make bank.

There is a huge market for it. Would give the Wrangler a really good run for their money becasue it's just as/more capable and has a proven track record. Oh and it's actually reliable.....

Even the FJ Cruiser, aside from its loyal following is an ergonomics disaster because of its horrible interior layout and poor/dangerous visibility. Basically a 4Runner with horrible ergonomics at the expense of "looking cool".
^^ But also this. If Mercedes-Benz can still sell a military SUV chassis design (G Series) from basically 1979 (the current version has had structural changes in 1990 but they are structurally very few) then Toyota could sell an updated FJ70 if they wanted to.

That said, I can see the TJ design fitting into the lineup.... if it has a standard AWD system, a small turbo engine and a manual transmission option. And so long as it's actually designed to do some light trail duty. And since Toyota owns the company that makes Torsen differentials, a rear Torsen and at least a viscous center diff would be useful. Otherwise... what would the point of this be?

This obviously isn't a replacement or successor to anything in the FJ series or a competitor to the Wrangler or anything else in that category.

Quick Reply: Toyota's next small crossover could be the TJ Cruiser