Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2024 Mazda CX-90

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-22, 03:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,537 Likes on 1,832 Posts

Great to see you Carmaker!
Old 12-21-22, 04:28 PM
gor134
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmaker1
I'm not sure what happened to the Mazda arrangement, but from CX-60 development information I've learned that they were indeed developing a RWD sedan in parallel to the CX-60.
Talked with you on the VWVortex, is it safe to say Mazda i6 RWD sedan is done for good? Last year, as well as near beginning of this year we were speculating that the lack of a statement on Mazda's behalf means the car is still in development.

Mazda Europe put out a statement later in the year that the RWD sedan is not happening.. and I thought to myself but Mazda Japan and America didn't say it's not happening. And then just last month, Mazda's design chief Tamatani-San told Australian media that the Large Group Architecture was never designed for low-riding models and is only suitable sedans, confirming that there is no RWD Sedan and Coupe coming.

I mean, this is basically confirmation to me this product is done for I assume? But I'm still left wondering why they haven't made any statements about this to American or Japanese media... I just want a damn Japanese i6 RWD sedan! I just confused why they are still patenting aero and suspension and other parts using RX-Vision as the body style, having filed one recently as well as of October of this year.

Old 01-12-23, 01:20 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Is the debut today, tonight?
Old 01-12-23, 02:15 PM
gor134
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SC300Es
Is the debut today, tonight?
Nope, debuting on the 31st.

I also thought it was debuting tonight, apparently Mazda is pulling a quite stupid marketing campaign where they "unbox" parts of the car and reveal them, all this blabber about being sculpted around humans, until leading up to the full-car reveal.

JUST REVEAL THE DAMN CAR!
Old 01-17-23, 09:45 AM
gor134
Intermediate

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301721588.html

The available 3.3-liter inline six turbo will have the highest horsepower and torque from a mass production gasoline engine developed by Mazda with 340 horsepower and 369 lb-ft of torque when using the recommended premium fuel. This engine provides CX-90 an engaging driving experience with a rewarding exhaust note, while also featuring a mild-hybrid system for efficiency without compromising on performance.
Old 01-18-23, 03:59 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Great to see you Carmaker!
Wow, sorry I didn't see this earlier. Thank you, same here! Went to Australia for Christmas and NYs, so I totally went off the grid again!

Been trying to acclimate to the new year, after a hectic return and celebrating getting a year older not too long after, so it's been a wild few weeks with no time to post!

Old 01-18-23, 04:16 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by gor134
Talked with you on the VWVortex, is it safe to say Mazda i6 RWD sedan is done for good? Last year, as well as near beginning of this year we were speculating that the lack of a statement on Mazda's behalf means the car is still in development.

Mazda Europe put out a statement later in the year that the RWD sedan is not happening.. and I thought to myself but Mazda Japan and America didn't say it's not happening. And then just last month, Mazda's design chief Tamatani-San told Australian media that the Large Group Architecture was never designed for low-riding models and is only suitable sedans, confirming that there is no RWD Sedan and Coupe coming.

I mean, this is basically confirmation to me this product is done for I assume? But I'm still left wondering why they haven't made any statements about this to American or Japanese media... I just want a damn Japanese i6 RWD sedan! I just confused why they are still patenting aero and suspension and other parts using RX-Vision as the body style, having filed one recently as well as of October of this year.

Hi, I've been literally all over the place since I last logged in and haven't posted in 4 weeks.

Interesting we've chatted on VWV, hope I've not been too cold or pompous . The environment of VWV makes me a bit more cutthroat LOL and less cordial thanks to some snarky trolls amongst the general membership.

Tamatani is parroting a silly PR line, as funny enough, at Ford we went through the same problem. CD6 aka D6R was planned since 2013 to be the RWD version of modular CD6, to serve as a basis for D3 and D4 FWD vehicles and D5 Mustang products. I can't remember if this included RWD Fords like the Falcon, because T3 would serve that purpose for half ton & larger body on frame pickups and SUVs. As would modified T6 below T3 for midsize utilities in the Ranger, Bronco, and Everest.

Lincoln was to become a mostly RWD brand from 2020-23, with each new redesign or model introduction. In example the RWD MKZ replacement in 2021 Zephyr. Aviator and Explorer would come to market replacing MKT and the D4 FWD U502 Explorer. And last but not least, the original S650 Mustang due to be launched for the 2021 model year.

Under Jim Hackett from May 2017, CD6 was heavily downgraded to be SUV compatible only and no longer suitable for sedans nor coupes like the 2021 Mustang.

Mazda has backtracked and taken the same approach with their architecture I imagine, if that statement is truly accurate. They did develop a sedan and it was close to the 2017 Vision Concept. The business case for such a vehicle wasn't viable long term, so it fell through just like Amati, but even earlier than the Amati 1000 did in the product planning process.

The Amati 1000 design was approved long before it was due to be released, but cancelled during pilot phases. The Mazda6 successor didn't reach that point, but died barely past the midpoint which is final styling approval and start of prototype unit construction.

I don't know what they can do beyond that point, if it existed and wasn't tested through to validation and certification.
Old 01-19-23, 10:16 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Mazda CX-90 teased again in 'unboxing' video

Source
Old 01-19-23, 10:20 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2024 Mazda CX-90 teased again, It's rated for 340 hp and 369 lb-ft of torque

The 2024 Mazda CX-90 is going to be fully revealed on January 31, but before then, Mazda is giving us some details about the engine under the hood.

Just as was rumored and expected, Mazda’s inline-six is finding a home in the CX-90. It’s a 3.3-liter turbocharged (single-turbo) inline-six that produces 340 horsepower and 369 pound-feet of torque. Mazda says it produces that power when run on premium fuel, but doesn’t provide figures for 87 octane motoring. All Mazdas sold in the U.S. with turbocharged engines now have different output ratings on premium and regular fuel, so we expect this new inline-six to follow the trend.

The turbo inline-six is aided by a mild-hybrid system for added efficiency, and it’s going to send power to a new rear-biased all-wheel drive system. Mazda says this AWD system is designed to support a “performance-focused experience,” so we expect it to be entertaining enough to drive. The last nugget of information Mazda dropped today is that every CX-90 will feature Kinematic Posture Control, which is handling tech initially developed for the MX-5. It provides slight brake pressure to the inner wheel during high-g cornering, creating a limited slip effect of sorts.

Mazda says this inline-six will offer the highest horsepower and torque than any other mass produced Mazda engine. Also, keep in mind that this is not the only available powertrain for the CX-90. The company has already revealed it will offer a plug-in hybrid option, and it’s said to be a “performance-oriented” one.

The teaser image that accompanies this powertrain news provides yet another shadowy glimpse of what to expect come January 31. Its bulged fenders, upright stance and bold headlights suggest a design reminiscent of the more rugged CX-50, but tune back in two weeks from now to see the car in its entirety along with all the details.
Source
Old 01-23-23, 03:48 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Ant Anstead violating his confidentiality agreement with Mazda

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/2...r-208968.html#
Old 01-23-23, 04:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

The front end looks terrible
Old 01-23-23, 05:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The front end looks terrible
yeah in the very least they could have put a hood on it lol
Old 01-24-23, 01:11 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670

The rear has been revealed by Mazda while back and its still on their website. Interior is carbon copy of CX-60 so nothing to see there either.
Old 01-24-23, 04:39 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,133 Likes on 1,382 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670

no idea who ant anstead is, but the article pics don't really show anything.

besides, isn't this just another mid grade front wheel drive box that isn't exactly special?
Old 01-24-23, 07:28 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
no idea who ant anstead is, but the article pics don't really show anything.

besides, isn't this just another mid grade front wheel drive box that isn't exactly special?
With a straight 6 when everything else is going turbo 4, thats pretty special. No 6 cyl option at all in the Highlander now, for instance. If this has the space inside then its on my shortlist.

Quick Reply: 2024 Mazda CX-90