Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car shopping for my wife.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-03, 06:08 PM
Heath
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks... Good to know...
Old 10-27-03, 06:57 PM
Heath
Driver School Candidate

Woo Hoo... I talked my wife into going for a ride in an LS400... We test drove what I would consider a beat to hell one 146K on the ticker, check engine light was on, couldn't set the temp, traction control was stuck in the off option and the inside was REALLY worn... SHE LOVED IT!!! Looks like there will probably be an LS in our garage in the next few months... Now I just have to find a GREAT deal on one after I get some $$$ in here... Can't spend to much... But I want a nice one too... WOO HOO.... That was the first one I'd driven and I like it even more now... I can see why LS owners are HOOKED!!!

Thanks a bunch everyone... Especially to those who said take her for a ride and see what happens...
Old 10-27-03, 07:52 PM
LexFather

Heath the timiing belt is the one that can break but the engine won't seize up. Good luck. I've seen and been in Rich's car and it is incredible for it's age and mileage. A true classic.

Old 10-27-03, 09:45 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

Heath,

I know you're sold on the LS400 and it is an awesome car. A couple of other suggestions would be cars that seem to depreciate rapidly, but are very good ones. The Infiniti Q45 is one of those IMO. It is a very good car, even though it isn't a real big seller. It has V8 power and Infiniti quality. Also, the Acura RL is another example. This car runs smooth, quiet and forever. It may not be realy sporty, but is a very good value. No question, an LS 400 is excellent choice, also maybe a Toyota Avalon. I had an I30t and put 210,000 miles on it. Gas,oil,tires, brakes,battery was all I ever needed to put on it. Sold it to my office manager. She has 253,000 miles on it. She put new shocks and brakes on it. You can't hear it run!!! Very nice vehicles. Surely there is a GS 300 out there in your price range. Definitely a good choice as well. I'll shut up now, but I would look at Autotrader and check some of these cars out. You might be suprised what you can find. Take care.

Doc C
Old 10-27-03, 10:07 PM
Heath
Driver School Candidate

Doc C.

I've driven several of the older Q's and did like them... In all fairness we will probably still go and test drive one one more time, but I'm pretty sure its going to be the Lexus... As for the RL I didn't know they dropped that quick, I'll definatly have to look into those... But being an old Honda guy (I've had 5 now) I can tell you that they are definaly proud of their product and I'm also kind of tired of the riceboy mentality that I find on all of the Honda boards... You know the "If it isn't Honda its s*$t"... I've driven the I30 already, and while I really liked the car, Its not going to be big enough to be as comfortable as we'd like it to... My wife is 6' tall and I'm 6'2"... We're hoping to start a family soon, thats why the need for the bigger car, rear facing infant seats take up A LOT of room in cars... So with us both being so tall and needing so much leg room its hard to find a car that works for us w/o going to an SUV... I have an Explorer that I just love but my wife wants a car for her daily duties... So this is the quandry that I"m in now...
Old 11-01-03, 08:56 PM
Heath
Driver School Candidate

Well my wife threw a wrench in my monkeyworks today... We went over to the Infiniti dealer to test drive a 95 Q45t that they had (just wanted to be sure that she didn't like it better than the LS)... Well just as we get there someone else takes it out for a drive... So while we're waiting we sit in an I30t and I said see this has a good amount of room too, she's like "Yeah, this could work too"... GRRR... So I said well lets actually go and look at baby seats to see how big they really are (the whole reason for a family car is to fit kids in the back right)... So we get over to Babies R Us and sure enough, they're MUCH smaller than she thought... Hell we could probably get a friggin civic!!! So now my search begins AGAIN... I'm looking at cars in the Accord, Camry/ES, Maxima/I30t range... Grrr... But on the other hand, they're cheaper to buy and cheaper to maintain so that makes me happy...
Old 11-04-03, 07:43 AM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How about a 96-98 AVALON?

I had one and ran mileage from 10 miles to 125,000 miles. Car insurance was killing me and car wasn't being driven much so I sold it to a lucky individual who has recently passed 175,000 miles. Car has not and continues not to have any problems.

Car is roomy, quiet, and confortable.

Just my $0.02.
Old 11-04-03, 09:25 AM
GA400
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Heath
Well my wife threw a wrench in my monkeyworks today... We went over to the Infiniti dealer to test drive a 95 Q45t that they had (just wanted to be sure that she didn't like it better than the LS)... Well just as we get there someone else takes it out for a drive... So while we're waiting we sit in an I30t and I said see this has a good amount of room too, she's like "Yeah, this could work too"... GRRR... So I said well lets actually go and look at baby seats to see how big they really are (the whole reason for a family car is to fit kids in the back right)... So we get over to Babies R Us and sure enough, they're MUCH smaller than she thought... Hell we could probably get a friggin civic!!! So now my search begins AGAIN... I'm looking at cars in the Accord, Camry/ES, Maxima/I30t range... Grrr... But on the other hand, they're cheaper to buy and cheaper to maintain so that makes me happy...
While these are nice cars and possibly cheaper to maintain, are they safer or even as safe as the big Lex? That is definitely one of the selling points when I bought mine. I knew I would pay a little more every year for gas driving a larger, heavier car, but I think the safety of the big Lexus sedans is at the top of the scale. Several members on here have had wrecks, but I have never heard of any serious injuries in a legitimate post. I have personally seen more than one Civic and/or Accord that has been horribly damaged. Ripped in two or squished completely flat - passenger side door about one foot away from driver's door, between two tractor trailers (that wreck still bugs me, I got rid of my small car about a month after that). Ask Horta, 1Sicklex, Dr Rick, and numerous others how these big cars hold up in a crash (also, can't remember the name but there was an LS that someone loaned to a friend that had a crash going well over 120 mph recently - walked away without a scratch!)

From what I have heard, Volvo's and Mercedes have similar rugged steel cages around the passenger compartment, but then you do not have the Toyota reliablity.

Just another point to consider, in my humble opinion.
Old 10-20-17, 08:18 PM
jumerle
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1998 LS400 wheels

Hey Rich, where did you get those new wheels (from a GS400 platinum)?
I would like to purchase a set for my 1998 LS400.
Reply to me on judexyz123@yahoo.com
Thank you
Jayare

Originally Posted by GA400
(cough, cough) I am guessing here, but Bit is probably referring to me as I used to come to the Club Lexus meets pretty often here in Hotlanta. Actually, my 91 LS400 is closing in on 224,000 miles now and I swear the car runs better every day. As he mentioned, I had to get the a/c compressor rebuilt, didn't get the fuel pump replaced, but I have had the power steering pump rebuilt and the timing belt and water pump replaced. The only actual failure was the water pump, the rest I had replaced on the advice of my mechanic as a preventive measure. I also replaced the shocks, radio, and wheels, because I spend at least two hours a day in my car and wanted to make it very comfortable. From what I can tell, NO maintenance was done on the car from 120,000 to 180,000 miles other than oil changes. My investment so far has been about $3,000 (less than $1,000 was mandatory) But I only paid $5,900 for the car. Higher mileage LS400's can be had for next to nothing, because most people are scared of dealer service prices. My advice -- get a '93 or newer, they have the new R134a a/c and larger brakes. Also get traction control if EVER snows where you live. pm me for more info if you like.

pic of my car at 223,500 with new wheels (from a GS400 platinum)

Cheers!

Rich
Old 10-20-17, 09:17 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 158 Likes on 93 Posts

Both are great choices (ES and LS). But look at the more expensive LS as one that will likely cost you more in the longrun to maintain. If that's okay with you, it's a greater car than the ES. Personally for me, I'd go for a well-taken care of ES, and enjoy the benefits of trouble-free luxury at a bargain price now and later on.
Old 10-20-17, 10:38 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

...... this is a 14 year old thread folks.....
Old 10-21-17, 05:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Originally Posted by Duck05
...... this is a 14 year old thread folks.....
This might be the worst old thread resurrection I’ve ever seen lol
Old 10-22-17, 08:41 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,157 Likes on 1,396 Posts

jumerle send a pm instead, this thread is 14 years old.

closed.