Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

ev chargers at gas stations

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-22, 05:29 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, First, I don't drive a Suburban or an F-350 that holds 50 gallons LOL (I'm being facetious). Second, as per the advice I myself have given to you all about filling up in previous posts, if a tanker truck is filling up the station tanks where I'm at, I either go somewhere else or wait a minimum of 5 minutes after the truck is done pumping to minimize the chances of (possible) underground dirt and contaminants in the tank from getting pumped into my vehicle. Third, it takes a minute or two to upload the discount-card info from the grocery store into the pump (you get bonus points from grocery purchases at Giant Food for gas discounts). Four, since the pandemic started, I don't just get out of my vehicle and grab the bare pumps....I get a protective cloth, so my hand isn't exposed to possible viruses. Fifth, the pump itself is not particularly responsive.....the computer takes a little while to process your input and fuel-choice. Sixth, I pump the gas slow enough so that if the automatic cutoff doesn't work (usually they work, but occasionally they screw up), I don't end up with gas all over the side of my vehicle and on the ground next to it. Seventh, it takes a few seconds for the printed receipt to come out (I always pay by credit card and keep the receipt for my monthly statement). Eighth, as I've mentioned in other posts I'm not usually in a very big hurry when I fill up....I don't let the clock rule my life.

Incidentally, now that you mention fill-ups, one thing that is missing on most current Buick products is a lockable fuel-filler door, although I've never, to my knowledge had gas siphoned out of my tank. I have, though, had a front license plate and cover stolen. Buicks do, however, give you the nice capless filler-system that was first used on Ford products some years ago. It eliminates the possibility of driving off and leaving an untethered gas-cap sitting on the pumps.....you would be surprised at how many people did that before the capless systems got more widespread.
Do you fill up your tank to only 1/2 full each time? I thought that is what you meant.
Old 05-30-22, 05:41 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 1,848 Likes on 1,422 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Gee, some people like to make everything complicated, lol.
Yep that they do. Thankfully I don't go to gas stations anymore and fill-up at home
Old 05-30-22, 05:48 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Yep that they do. Thankfully I don't go to gas stations anymore and fill-up at home
Good for you, but you still go to Costco. I value my time and my mental health, I can barely tolerate driving past a Costco with all the convolution going on around the entrance to its parking lot, never mind going there myself.
Old 05-30-22, 05:54 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
Good for you, but you still go to Costco. I value my time and my mental health, I can barely tolerate driving past a Costco with all the convolution going on around the entrance to its parking lot, never mind going there myself.
I Can't stand going to Costco either. My cheapness compels me...... that and my wife
Old 05-31-22, 08:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Do you fill up your tank to only 1/2 full each time? I thought that is what you meant.

No....I think you misunderstood me. I fill it all the way up when it is at, or a little below, the halfway mark. It helps prevent a lot of potential problems from too low a level in the tank....more potential issues than just running out of gas.
Old 05-31-22, 08:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Gee, some people like to make everything complicated, lol.
Unfortunately, life isn't always simple.

By today's standards, the gas lines at Costco would try the patience of a saint, and I avoid them myself even though I have a Costco card. But, don't forget, in the mid and late 1970s gas lines like that were pretty much par for the course.
Old 05-31-22, 08:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Basically what you are saying is you don't do Charlie Chaplin impressions while filling your tank .

I'm not quite sure what you mean by Charlie Chaplin impressions .....he starred in silent films.

But, if you mean that I don't show impatience by grimacing my face, you're correct....I don't.
Old 05-31-22, 08:59 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Unfortunately, life isn't always simple.

By today's standards, the gas lines at Costco would try the patience of a saint, and I avoid them myself even though I have a Costco card. But, don't forget, in the mid and late 1970s gas lines like that were pretty much par for the course.
Doesn't really bother me, I've been buying gas at Costco for more than 10 years. I would usually go early in the morning when there was no line. The crazy early morning lines have been a recent phenomenon. At this point I haven't been to a Costco gas station in months and when I pass by and see those crazy lines I thank God I'm not in one of them
Old 05-31-22, 09:03 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I'm not quite sure what you mean by Charlie Chaplin impressions .....he starred in silent films.

But, if you mean that I don't show impatience by grimacing my face, you're correct....I don't.
I meant the speeded up rate of the silent film era. If there was a film of Mr. Chaplin filling gas, it would run at 40 fps

Old 05-31-22, 09:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I meant the speeded up rate of the silent film era. If there was a film of Mr. Chaplin filling gas, it would run at 40 fps

OK, Gotcha. Nope.....in general, that's not me.
Old 05-31-22, 09:38 AM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

I heard the gas at places like AM/PM and Costco/Safeway isn't as good as Shell. Whether it's true or not, I always go to Shell even though it's a good deal more expensive. Then again, it's one of two gas stations in this town lol.
Old 05-31-22, 09:48 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xjokerz
I heard the gas at places like AM/PM and Costco/Safeway isn't as good as Shell. Whether it's true or not, I always go to Shell even though it's a good deal more expensive. Then again, it's one of two gas stations in this town lol.
Not true. Both Costco and Arco use Top tier gas: https://www.autolist.com/guides/top-tier-gas

Even Safeway probably uses Top tier. Gasoline in the US has to meet a minimum requirements. I've used both Costco and Arco gas (when I travel) for years and never had any issues with my cars, performance or otherwise
Old 05-31-22, 10:00 AM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Not true. Both Costco and Arco use Top tier gas: https://www.autolist.com/guides/top-tier-gas

Even Safeway probably uses Top tier. Gasoline in the US has to meet a minimum requirements. I've used both Costco and Arco gas (when I travel) for years and never had any issues with my cars, performance or otherwise
Don't places like Shell use better additives, which explains the more expensive prices?
Old 05-31-22, 10:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Don't places like Shell use better additives, which explains the more expensive prices?

Correct. Shell and Chevron have some of the best additives in the industry....Chevron's Techroline is (arguably) THE best. I use Shell myself, though, for two reasons. First, Chevron stations no longer exist in the D.C. area...they moved out (why, I have no idea) , and the old stations started selling the Liberty-brand. Second, in the D.C. area, Giant-Food Supermarkets gives a discount at Shell stations for grocery-purchase bonus-points.
Old 05-31-22, 10:11 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Possibly, but I don't think it makes a difference. You can always buy a case of Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner from Costco and use a bottle twice a year

Quick Reply: ev chargers at gas stations