Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

ev chargers at gas stations

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-22, 05:08 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 889 Likes on 711 Posts

Total noob on EV's here, saw under hood of my first one a month or so ago.

Dumb question, do these chargers work like gas pumps?
Anotherwords, you can see the dollar amount to be charged scrolling in the screen and just cut it off when you get the amount of "juice" you want or reach the dollar $ amount you want to spend?
Old 05-30-22, 07:20 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 465 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
why do you only fill up half way?
Practicing for an EV...
Old 05-30-22, 07:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,867 Posts

You’ll see this more and more as gas stations can viably make money with charging stations. Eventually you’ll find every station has a few.

I’m in WV and I’m ASTONISHED by the number of EVs here from out of town. I stopped at the WV welcome center on 64 by the Greenbrier where I usually stop and I was parked next to a Tesla Model Y from Chicago. I was talking to the older couple in it and they said they have no problem finding chargers even down here. I’ve seen 5 Teslas in town from all over the place.

There is a Supercharger in Mt Hope now which is like 15 miles away, I’m not sure where it is exactly but I know it’s there…but along 64 where I met them there ain’t nothing for miles and miles really.
Old 05-30-22, 07:30 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You’ll see this more and more as gas stations can viably make money with charging stations. Eventually you’ll find every station has a few.

I’m in WV and I’m ASTONISHED by the number of EVs here from out of town. I stopped at the WV welcome center on 64 by the Greenbrier where I usually stop and I was parked next to a Tesla Model Y from Chicago. I was talking to the older couple in it and they said they have no problem finding chargers even down here. I’ve seen 5 Teslas in town from all over the place.

There is a Supercharger in Mt Hope now which is like 15 miles away, I’m not sure where it is exactly but I know it’s there…but along 64 where I met them there ain’t nothing for miles and miles really.
I see a lot of EVs too. Lots of chargers near me. But I never see them used. Just the Tesla chargers at the shopping malls.
Old 05-30-22, 07:34 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I see a lot of EVs too. Lots of chargers near me. But I never see them used. Just the Tesla chargers at the shopping malls.
I think there are just so few non Tesla EVs on the road, and most people charge at home.
Old 05-30-22, 08:41 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I think there are just so few non Tesla EVs on the road, and most people charge at home.
it would be true there is not a lot of EVs other than Teslas on the road. BUT, to run a EV without a home charger is such an inconvenience for most of the population. Charging makes sense at home, but will always have hurdles for charging on the go.
Old 05-30-22, 08:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
it would be true there is not a lot of EVs other than Teslas on the road. BUT, to run a EV without a home charger is such an inconvenience for most of the population. Charging makes sense at home, but will always have hurdles for charging on the go.
There are more than there used to be, but Tesla still has overwhelming market share.
Old 05-30-22, 10:31 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 135 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Those chargers are slow with low Amps. People typically go to EA, EVGO chargers instead. Teslas all go to Tesla Superchargers. The only ones that should go there are the crappy BZ4X AWD or Subaru or Leaf as they charge slow anyway.
It says 175kw on the charger, you think these are slow chargers?

Also, around Europe, a lot of them are on gas stations. In my country, most of Superchargers are in gas station parking lot, which is great because you can drink/eat/etc there.
SC on their own suck because in many cases they are off site and there is nothing to do there.
Old 05-30-22, 10:57 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,474 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
Total noob on EV's here, saw under hood of my first one a month or so ago.

Dumb question, do these chargers work like gas pumps?
Anotherwords, you can see the dollar amount to be charged scrolling in the screen and just cut it off when you get the amount of "juice" you want or reach the dollar $ amount you want to spend?
​​​​​​ They work differently than gas pumps, for charging stations like Electrify America you pull into a parking spot and plug into the charging port of your car. Most people use the app to start the charging cycle, but you can always use a credit card. You don't see dollar amount until you stop charging, but you do see percentage and kWh delivered. You can stop the charging anytime you want. The cost is so low compared to gas that nobody looks at the cost
Old 05-30-22, 11:58 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
It says 175kw on the charger, you think these are slow chargers?

Also, around Europe, a lot of them are on gas stations. In my country, most of Superchargers are in gas station parking lot, which is great because you can drink/eat/etc there.
SC on their own suck because in many cases they are off site and there is nothing to do there.
We have those ones in gas stations in our neighborhood and they don't hit advertised speeds. They also have a lot of non functioning ones...reliability is a concern. Of course not all stations may be that way. They aren't common here though as EA and EVGO dominate the chargers. They tend to be expensive too.

Superchargers are usually near shopping areas here in California but a few are out in nowhere. EA chargers are always near WalMarts or Targets. Admittedly, most of the chargers in my region are V3 Superchargers and a ton of 350kw CCS EA chargers. Outside of California, which i rarely venture, has way less infrastructure. Europe is definitely ahead of most of the US. I imagine California is probably equivalent.
Old 05-30-22, 12:13 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This charger is in UK, quoting one of the reviews, lol.

EV charger points are very unreliable. One of them has been out of order for weeks now. They are also the most expensive in the country!
Re: your reply
It is still the most expensive of all, no mention about the unreliability of it as well! So why is one of the 2 charge points not fixed yet? Has been out of order for weeks? Not good value at all! Transparent pricing... only very tiny print is stating on the charger, that if you use the barcode scan option it costs you even more, a whopping £0.45, almost twice what Motorway Service Station Chargepoints Charge. Thanks for all the B S reply. You could have just said, you have no regard and care for your customers.

https://www.google.com/search?q=shel...rome&ie=UTF-8#

This is very much like I always predicted, companies that install these chargers are doing it for compliance/government subsidies, and they don't care about maintaining them. It will only get worse.
Old 05-30-22, 12:23 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,474 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
This charger is in UK, quoting one of the reviews, lol.

https://www.google.com/search?q=shel...rome&ie=UTF-8#

This is very much like I always predicted, companies that install these chargers are doing it for compliance/government subsidies, and they don't care about maintaining them. It will only get worse.
Traveling between Northern California and Southern California, Electrify America has been 99 percent reliable. In 5 months I've only seen two Superchargers offline. If other states choose to be behind everyone else, that's their problem. Here it's getting better day by day, exactly as it should be

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 05-30-22 at 12:28 PM.
Old 05-30-22, 12:34 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Don't get me wrong...i wish most of the chargers were at shopping centers or gas stations. I think its logical that they be at gas stations but the ones that are currently at gas stations are a bit more spotty than dedicated EA or EVGO chargers. Of course I've seen Superchargers at a gas station and some EVGO chargers too and they are super convenient so its probably a great way to go. Europe is just ahead of us on the curve as they already standardized to CCS (even Tesla). Tesla plugs are way better but i'd be willing to give that up if the entire US just went CCS and I could go to any charging station. I think it will go that way eventually.
Old 05-30-22, 12:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
why do you only fill up half way?
A number of different reasons.....don't have time to go into them all in detail.
Old 05-30-22, 01:10 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
A number of different reasons.....don't have time to go into them all in detail.
I bet you want to avoid gas tank degradation.

Quick Reply: ev chargers at gas stations