Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Are EVs quieter than luxury ICE vehicles?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-22, 07:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,867 Posts

A Tesla at idle not moving is like a car with the engine off. How can that be louder than ANY car at WOT?! lol
Old 04-01-22, 07:54 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,474 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
just to be clear, patgilm was commenting on what striker223 posted.

that first sentence is clearly incorrect.
i have little doubt the LS is quieter than a Model S when at speed however.
I believe @LeX2K and myself were both referring to the original post and not patgilm's comment. Driving both an LS and as a passenger in a Model S, the LS definitely uses better sound deadening, so road noise itself is less, but overall the Model S has almost zero drivetrain noise. You can always hear the LS's engine. Because of lots of glass in the model S, sounds inside tend to seem louder than they are, but overall it's quieter because no engine sounds!
Old 04-01-22, 07:57 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,153 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I'll discuss this more with you tomorrow as my brain isn't working right now as I had a long day at work, but I will just say the last part of your post is a little misleading. The only reasons sounds are a little more amplified in the cabin of my car is... there's no engine noise to contend with! The cabin is isolated from the road so cabin noises are bit more amplified and bounce around with no engine noises to buffer it. I've driven an LS460 and 500, a few S Class, owned several V6 Camrys, and you can always hear the engine no matter how much they isolate it, or use different sound cancelling techniques. Those cars may use better sound dampening materials, but you can't hide the sound of an engine and transmission. The only way to make them quieter... turn the engine off, put them in neutral, and roll them down a steep hill.

BTW @bitkahuna for creating this thread
Sound meters do not lie. Sound is sound and your EV is louder than a LS
Old 04-01-22, 07:58 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

I believe @LeX2K and myself were both referring to the original post and not patgilm's comment. Driving both an LS and as a passenger in a Model S, the LS definitely uses better sound deadening, so road noise itself is less, but overall the Model S has almost zero drivetrain noise. You can always hear the LS's engine. Because of lots of glass in the model S, sounds inside tend to seem louder than they are, but overall it's quieter because no engine sounds!
No it's not, in instrumented testing there more sound pressure inside. Period

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/cabin-noise-refreshed-2021-model-s.243892/

Even the owners admit it.
Old 04-01-22, 08:02 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Depends on the type of driving you're doing. Around town when you're always accelerating or slowing down then sure, because you hear the engine. On the highway though at a solid speed the Model S is significantly louder inside than an LS.

Originally Posted by Striker223
Thats actually not true. Sound is not sound, and a sound pressure reading doesn't tell you automatically what your ear perceives as louder. Sound has different frequencies and amplitude, and your ears are more sensitive to some than others regardless of the sound pressure. So, its certainly possible for you to perceive one space as being quieter even though the sound pressure reading is higher.
Old 04-01-22, 08:05 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Depends on the type of driving you're doing. Around town when you're always accelerating or slowing down then sure, because you hear the engine. On the highway though at a solid speed the Model S is significantly louder inside than an LS.

Thats actually not true. Sound is not sound, and a sound pressure reading doesn't tell you automatically what your ear perceives as louder. Sound has different frequencies and amplitude, and your ears are more sensitive to some than others regardless of the sound pressure. So, its certainly possible for you to perceive one space as being quieter even though the sound pressure reading is higher.
Sure but that's not objective then, since someone may perfer the sound of a 6.4 hemi at cruise even though it's louder doesn't mean it's quieter than another car. Preference doesn't matter for objective measurements

No engine is an advantage sure.....unless that subjectively sounds worse to someone and that's why it's kinda of useless to be subjective.
Old 04-01-22, 08:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Sure but that's not objective then, since someone may perfer the sound of a 6.4 hemi at cruise even though it's louder doesn't mean it's quieter than another car. Preference doesn't matter for objective measurements

No engine is an advantage sure.....unless that subjectively sounds worse to someone and that's why it's kinda of useless to be subjective.
I'm not talking about preference, I'm saying your brain can perceive something as quieter or louder independently of the sound pressure because of differences in frequency and amplitude of sound. You said "sound is sound" and that statement is not factual.

The point is its very hard to make an objective measurement of the loudness of the interior of a car.
Old 04-01-22, 08:43 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

True, I've never been in a Model S on the hwy
Old 04-01-22, 09:01 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I've driven an LS and although it is extremely quiet, it's not quieter then my Polestar at 70 or 80 mph. Both my wife's Ioniq and my Polestar are so quiet at hwy speeds we had to adjust to it being so quiet. The only reason the Model S may be louder at hwy speeds is because it has 19" and 20" wheels that are lower profile (less sidewall), is not as insulated to road sounds, and lack of engine noise gives a perception that the noise is louder than it really is. For sure the Model S at full WOT is quieter than an LS at full WOT. That said, I'm not taking anything away from the LS, it's an extremely well built competent car that's well insulated from NVH, and the engine is pretty much as quiet as an engine can get

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 04-01-22 at 09:04 AM.
Old 04-01-22, 09:05 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I've driven an LS and although it is extremely quiet, it's not quieter then my Polestar at 70 or 80 mph. Both my wife's Ioniq and my Polestar are so quiet at hwy speeds we had to adjust to it being so quiet. The only reason the Model S may be louder at hwy speeds is because it has 19" and 20" wheels that are lower profile (less sidewall), is not as insulated to road sounds, and lack of engine noise gives a perception that the noise is louder than it really is. For sure the Model S at full WOT is quieter than an LS at full WOT. That said, I'm not taking anything away from the LS, it's an extremely well built competent car that's well insulated from NVH, and the engine is pretty much as quiet as an engine can get
I would be very surprised if your Polestar is as quiet as an LS on the highway. That would make it one of the quietest cars ever made which I doubt.

High end Volvos for instance are not as quiet as an LS on the Highway.
Old 04-01-22, 09:09 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 417 Likes on 343 Posts

This is an interesting thread. I assumed an EV would be quieter than ICE luxury cars due it being electric, with the exception of wind noise. I’ve sat in a Model S but never driven an electric car so I wouldn’t know.

The quietest cars I’ve ever been in were my 05 LS430, 99 LS400, 17 LS460, 98 S420, and my dad’s old Cadillac Broham.
Old 04-01-22, 09:12 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I would be very surprised if your Polestar is as quiet as an LS on the highway. That would make it one of the quietest cars ever made which I doubt.
The LS definitely has a quieter cabin, when we talk to each other in the Polestar while on the hwy our voices are much louder, but I think that's due to the way the cabins are designed. The LS does excellent noise cancelling, the Polestar doesn't do any. In the LS I can still hear the engine, although barely. The Polestar's suspension for sure is louder. I don't know, it's hard to say. Maybe you are right. But it's quiet enough where we had to adjust to very little noise at hwy speeds
Old 04-01-22, 09:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The LS definitely has a quieter cabin, when we talk to each other in the Polestar while on the hwy our voices are much louder, but I think that's due to the way the cabins are designed. The LS does excellent noise cancelling, the Polestar doesn't do any. In the LS I can still hear the engine, although barely. The Polestar's suspension for sure is louder. I don't know, it's hard to say. Maybe you are right
I bet you the Polestar is 63-64 dB, the LS is 59
Old 04-01-22, 09:18 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I bet you the Polestar is 63-64 dB, the LS is 59
You're probably right, cabin noise is more than even my Sienna, but I've more attributed that to amplified sounds due to almost zero NVH from the drivetrain
Old 04-01-22, 09:26 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

I bet the EQS is marginally quieter than the S-class cruising down the highway. Its probably way quieter at WOT

In the end, the marginal decrease in noise level isn't that much more desireable (if at all) than an ICE. The benefit of the EV is the other driving characteristics like NVH and instant torque more than how quiet the drivetrain is at highway speeds. My Tesla is louder overall than my IS350 so powertrain noise is drowned out by the wind noise anyway.

Quick Reply: Are EVs quieter than luxury ICE vehicles?